PDA

View Full Version : My New Powermatic 180 Planer

Keith Weber
10-17-2010, 6:12 AM
It only took me 2 years of searching, but I finally found a planer at a good price to replace my Delta 22-580 lunchbox planer. I got tired of the multiple, shallow passes needed to keep the thing from bogging down.

The replacement is a mid-80's Powermatic 180, weighing about 1550 lbs., and sporting a 10 hp, 3-phase motor. Hopefully the only thing bogging down will be the lights when I start this thing up.

It's in really good shape mechanically, no rust, and seems to have been kept well-lubricated. The guy I bought it from said it came in a lot that he bought from a school auction in Wisconsin. It came with a grinder bar, but was missing the grinder itself. When I took the dust chute off, I noticed that it had what is called a Quiet Cutterhead (9 rows of 3 staggered 2-1/4" knives instead of 3 18" knives).

Anybody have experience with these? The knives are a little nicked, and since I don't have a grinder, I'll have to buy some new knives. The problem is that I can't seem to find where to buy the 2-1/4". The only company that I could find was American National Knife, which charges $18.40 per knife (or $500 for a set of 27). For that price, and considering that I don't have a grinder right now, buying a Byrd Shelix head for it begins to sound like a viable option.

Also, anyone know of a knife setter that would work on that head? I figured that the "busy" cutterhead with all of the troughs might require a special knife setter.

Keith (looking forward to turning my pile of rough cut oak into stair treads once I get this thing working)

Carroll Courtney
10-17-2010, 8:03 AM
From a lunch box to the cadillac of planers WOW.No ideals on your issues but again WOW.----Carroll

Ben Martin
10-17-2010, 8:13 AM
Man, you sure look happy!!! :D

I am questing after a PM100 planer, I think that it will go great with my PM60.

Chris Rosenberger
10-17-2010, 10:01 AM
You got a great planer. I have owned 2 180s over the past 15 years. The first one was built in 1967. In 1994 I bought it from an area factory. It needed a little work, but it worked very well for about 12 years until I found a like new 1995 180 that came from a school shop. The reason I got the newer one was because it had a segmented infeed roll. I had searched for a segmented infeed roll to put in the older one for several years without any luck.
I have never used the quit head, but I have heard that it takes some time to change or grind the knives.
I replaced the head in the 1995 planer with a Terminus indexed quick change cutter head. It cost about $600 in 2006. With the Terminus head I get zero tearout & I can change blades in about 30 minutes. That includes removing & reinstalling the dust hood. I would suggest you look into on of those before investing in new knives & a knife setting gauge. http://www.terminus-stl.com/products/9500.htm

Chris Rosenberger
10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Here is a Powermatic knife setting gauge.
The part number is 2230007, it is discontinued.
I am not sure if it will work with the Quit Head.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/20101017_2.jpg

Dan McCallum
10-17-2010, 3:40 PM
You might try asking this over at owwm.org. There's probably a dozen guys over there that have the same planer and can get you going.

C Scott McDonald
10-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow good for you! That should wake up the neighbors!

Bruce Page
10-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow! That is sweet!
So, how do you get a 1550 lb machine off of a pallet? Very carefully! :cool:

Dave Cav
10-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow! That is sweet!
So, how do you get a 1550 lb machine off of a pallet? Very carefully! :cool:

VERY, VERY carefully. I got mine (mid 80s PM 180) this past summer. It was shipped to me on TWO pallets. The first one broke down so the freight company put another pallet under it and strapped it all together. It was delivered via liftgate truck to my shop. It took me about three hours to carefully crib up under the pallets and then the planer and literally take the pallets out a piece at a time. My sawzall earned it's keep that day.

You are really going to like that planer. I got mine because it already had a Byrd head in it and I got it for just a little more than the Byrd head cost. Mine is only 5 HP 3 phase so I am limited to taking about 1/8" or 3/16" at a time. I would love to have the 10 HP but I don't have 3 phase and 5 HP is about as big as you can go with a VFD.

By all means head over to OWWM and ask about the quiet head. Lots of info over there. As you found out the knives are very expensive and I seem to recall they are very fussy to install. I'd be thinking about some sort of carbide insert head.