PDA

View Full Version : ripping 2x4's

Dave Tesch
10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
i'm in the middle of a project and i am short about 12' of 2x2. project is a suspension bridge for a G scale train, i'm rebuilding the tower supports. the original supports are 2x2 but milled 1/8" bigger than modern 2x2. i built the original supports ten years ago and they are aged and need replaced.

since the project is funded by the city government, a simple thing like buying more 2x2's is difficult but possible if need be. i have several 2x4 studs left over from another project that are sitting unused, untouched, uncut 8' lengths.

i have ripped 2x4's before but not to the small size of 2x2. is this a feasible solution? or is it more likely the studs will go crazy (warp) if i rip them?

Neil Brooks
10-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I've had pretty good luck ripping SPF 2x's, in the past.

The major issue is ... at least around here ... they're not squared off on the edges, so ... if you need them square ... you lost more dimension in both directions by face and edge jointing them.

I'm generally worried more about knots and other imperfections, and how THEY are to work with (on the planer and jointer, for example), but ... in terms of internal wood stresses that throw out a weird warp, after cutting ... that hasn't been MY experience.

Dave Tesch
10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
it hasnt been mine either, seems like if its going to warp after a rip it does it right away. i've made a slew of edge bands at a time and there are always a couple that come of the saw as crooked as i ever saw, and the rest are fine, all off the same board.

the 2x2's are all rounded as well, i'd prefer hard edges but with limited budget and time, no one is really going to notice but me anyway. i figure i can hide the straight corners on the bottom of things and no one will be the wiser.

since i made the original a decade ago the millwork has gotten noticeably smaller, a new 2x2 measures 1 7/16 square while the ones from a decade ago are 1 5/8 square. i told my buddy today pretty soon you'll buy a 2x4" and they will hand you a pencil and say "here, build yer house wit dis. itz a 2x4"

Vince Brytus
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
If the wood is dry you should be OK. You can always cut them a little big and let them sit for a while in the environment they're going to be in and then come back and clean them up to the final dimension removing any warp in the process.

Steve Griffin
10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Your 2x2's on a model train display are "aged and need replaced" ????

Despite my curiosity about that statement, I would say you should have no problem ripping 2x4's down to the size you need.

You should try to sort out lumber which has straight and tight grain. Look for grain on the ends which is vertical, rather than flat (more "quartersawn") and don't take any boards which have heartwood.

If you have a jointer, you will have a second chance to straighten any warps out. If not, consider cutting extra in case a 2x2 doesn't pass your standards for straight.

-Steve

Dave Tesch
10-17-2010, 1:34 AM
well i cut down an 8' 2x4 to the dimensions of the 2x2's, and was left with a 5/16" center left over. i should have ripped the whole thing out of 2x4's.

here is a pic of the train; i built the entire bridge. its a long story but the red post section in the pic is what i am rebuilding, as well as creating another identical support for the other end of the bridge (both new supports are approx 6 5/8" shorter than the red support). for about a decade it has only had the one support, and i have always wanted another for the other side. when it is done it will be an approx 14' suspended deck; right now its about 11'.

the red support in the pic is in a pile of pieces in my shop, it completely fell apart last year when i took the train down for the season. the paint really hides how poor the wood is on that part. the rest of the bridge is in great shape.

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/45208/2808370540026985969S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2808370540026985969IsbRKH)
http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/46398/2369085360026985969S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2369085360026985969eGXVYw)

Neil Brooks
10-17-2010, 2:15 AM
Very cool project.

Also, very cool to see a couple of kids going Old School, and checking out a model train set :)

Lee Koepke
10-17-2010, 6:33 PM
I too have ripped 2x's for various projects, most of them worked just fine ... but ... I did have one or two that had some unforseen internal stresses and mid-rip it bound itself to my splitter, so make darn sure you are using a splitter because it can close up the kerf on you quickly.

Also, if you can rough cut the length, its alot easier to rip a shorter piece than an 8 footer.

Don Dorn
10-17-2010, 7:19 PM
That is an impressive setup.