PDA

View Full Version : Fall Bowls

Steve Vaughan
10-16-2010, 7:50 PM
Here's a part of the fall bowl collection.
First is a vase, about 9" tall, top is about 4" in diameter, wall is 1/8" at the lip to about 3/8" at the bottom.

Second is cherry, about 8" across, 4 1/2" deep. The really dark spot was just about too rotten to turn, but it held up ok. Sanding really cut into it about a 1/16" from the rest of the wall thickness, on the inside. But I love the color contrasts from the dark rot to red heartwood to lighter sapwood.

The third is maple, fruitbowl size, about 12" in diameter and about 4" in depth. Lots of crazy grain from really solid heartwood to spalting, with a nice knot.

All finished with Watco Natural, then several coats of Deft, sanded between coats, then steel wool buffed, then wax. On the cherry and maple, got to use my new vacuum setup for the first time to turn the bottom. I think I'm gonna like that thing:cool:!

John Keeton
10-16-2010, 7:58 PM
Steve, that is a fine looking collection! What is the wood on the first one? Looks a little like ash, but hard to tell. I really like the character of the wood and form.

The cherry is very nice, as well, but the standout for me is the maple - a lot going on with that wood!

Steve Vaughan
10-16-2010, 8:39 PM
John, thanks for the reminder. I forgot to put that down...that first one is pecan. I'm really glad that I had rough-turned it green. It was hard enough green, but when I got to finish it, that stuff is like steel. Could not go deeper with what I had. Thanks for the comments!

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Nice work on each of these Steve!

Really like the Pecan - just something different than what I see every day. Cherry looks great now and will improve with time. Th Maple steals the show with all the wild grain patterns!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Good looking bowls. I like the pecan.