View Full Version : hot glue

ed hoxter
10-16-2010, 7:14 PM
is there anything that will desolve hot glue sticKS ?? ed

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 7:17 PM

Heat! :D:D:D:D

Seriously, I have never seen anyone who wanted to dissolve them. Are you making some sort of home made glue combination? How will it be used?

Steve Vaughan
10-16-2010, 7:35 PM
Not sure why you'd need to dissolve them but, I've used hot glue to mount posters to cinderblock walls. Then the stuff would peel off with a sharp stick or screwdriver, and I've also used a hair dryer to soften them too. Makes it a bit easier.

Art Kelly
10-16-2010, 8:01 PM

I'll try this http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4855511_removing-hot-glue-wood.html tomorrow (the part about DNA).

John Beaver
10-16-2010, 8:04 PM
If you're trying to get the residue off or undo something glued with hot glue you could try a heat gun or hair dryer.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-16-2010, 9:33 PM
Before trying heat, soak in alcohol, it will help loosen the glue so you can remove it from the wood.
So it is not really dissolving it but it will loosen the hold onto the wood, HTH

ed hoxter
10-17-2010, 8:21 PM
i had a cherry crotch with a small bowl off center, finished. i could'nt parr the waste block of due to the shape of the three wings. i tried to pry it off but started to damaged the bottom side. i tryed acietone and dna but i guess i was to impaitent. i tried to cut it off with my bandsaw. things got ugly. i bet i'mn the only one on the creek with a cherry crotch funnel. darn darn :eek: thanks for the reply guys. i'll try soaking with dna alot longer next time. thanks leo. ed

Art Kelly
10-22-2010, 1:10 PM
I'll try this http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4855511_removing-hot-glue-wood.html tomorrow (the part about DNA).

I put it in some DNA five days ago and let it sit there, covered.

This morning it is still intact.

I'll try something more noxious today: Acetone, probably. I may have some lacquer thinner out there.

Art

Art Kelly
10-24-2010, 6:35 PM
I'll try something more noxious today: Acetone, probably. I may have some lacquer thinner out there.

Art

...but not "dissolved."

"Destroyed" is more like it. It just sorta came apart in chunks after a couple hours.

Toluene and lacquer thinner are next.

Every experiment is a success.

Pix tomorrow.
Art

Michael James
10-24-2010, 8:24 PM
...but not "dissolved."

"Destroyed" is more like it. It just sorta came apart in chunks after a couple hours.

Toluene and lacquer thinner are next.

Every experiment is a success.

Pix tomorrow.
Art
I would think a laminate heat gun would soften enough to pry. Depending on size, a hairdryer might not give up enough heat before it fried. Interesting.
mj

dirk martin
02-04-2011, 7:28 PM
Ed, did the DNA reduce the strength of the glue?

Rob Holcomb
02-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I have no idea how to dissolve Hot Melt Glue but if I use it to glue things together like a waste block onto a turning project, 20-25 seconds in a microwave and the bond is soft allowing whatever I glued to come apart easily. Maybe if you want to "melt" the glue into a liquid, a throw away container into the microwave for a longer period of time would do it.