PDA

View Full Version : How to raise/lower Cyclone Barrel

Dean Ousterhout
10-16-2010, 3:29 PM
I am trying to figure out how to lower the cyclone barrel to empty it and then raise it back into an operational position?

Any suggestions?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2010, 3:39 PM
Where is it?

How high is it?

Dean Ousterhout
10-16-2010, 3:54 PM
The barrel is 37" tall and the bottom of the cyclone is at 57". The hose is about 8".

So, I need a platform that is about 12" off the ground. That would include whatever mechanism we come up with for raising and lowering.

John M. Smith
10-16-2010, 4:41 PM
replace hose with longer one.

Dean Ousterhout
10-16-2010, 4:45 PM
John, What I should have said was...

So, I will have a platform that is about 12" off the ground.

Then, I need a mechanism to raise and lower the barrel and leave the top that is fastened to the cyclone, in place.

Hmmm... I wonder... will the flex pipe contract enough to slide the barrel out and empty it? HMmm that would be a lot easier than having to build something.

Dean Ousterhout
10-16-2010, 4:48 PM
Ok... silly me... the flex pipe that attaches the barrel lid to the bottom of the cyclone should contract enough to allow the barrel to just slide out for emptying... :)

So, I don't need a fancy device.

glenn bradley
10-16-2010, 6:32 PM
Hmmm... I wonder... will the flex pipe contract enough to slide the barrel out and empty it? HMmm that would be a lot easier than having to build something.

I cut my flex hose to where I have to push the lid down to clamp it on. When I un-clamp it springs back up. I keep waiting for the hose to stay stretched but so far, it still springs back.

P.s. +1 on a longer hose rather than having the barrel elevated unless there is a driving reason.

Al Barale
10-18-2010, 6:19 AM
Dean I used a flexible connection which I purchased from a sheetmetal fab place that makes HIVAC ducting, as you can see from the picture its attached to the cyclone and lid. I found that it works great. It gives me about 3" of clearance which is plenty to lift the lid off the drum so I can wheel it in or out.

Dean Ousterhout
10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
So... using a flexible hose eliminates the need for a involved elevation mechanism, and John's thought of the longer hose, 12", eliminates the need for a stand for the barrel...

now I have no excuse to not go hook it up. :)

thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Gerald Senburn
10-18-2010, 7:56 PM
This guy rigged up a set up arms (http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/dustCollection.html#collectionbin) to hold the barrel top so it just swings up and the bin can roll out.

Damon Marxer
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Not sure if this helps but I had the same issue as I installed my cyclone as high as I could. I either had to buy a longer flexible hose (which I eventually did) or had to raise up the drum. As a temporary solution I used a moving dolly from Harbor Freight and attached a couple 2x4's to raise it up. I could tilt it off to empty it and was easy to get back on the dolly after it was empty. Here is a pic to show what I am talking about.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nhUk8ElLr-U/Sy4fm5uSJbI/AAAAAAAABog/l3O0uiS6CxM/s400/DSC_0059.jpg