PDA

View Full Version : New turner

Richard Gibson
10-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I had never used a lathe before. I took a pen turning class at the local woodworkers shop and that was the first time to use a lathe. I bought a Jet 1220 and here is the results of my first turning at home... kinda proud of them :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice first pens at home Richard! You should be proud of them. Welcome to the Vortex! Having too much cash will never be a problem again!:rolleyes:

Robert McGowen
10-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Nice job, Richard. Welcome to the round side of woodworking!

Jeff Luedloff
10-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with Ken, you should be proud of them. very nice job. but now your hooked. family and friends will be wanting them, Christmas, birthdays, retirements, there's no end when you make a great pen.

Josh Bowman
10-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Richard, you should be proud of them. They are well made and look wonderful. There're a lot of suppliers available. Make sure you get on Penn State Industries mailing list.

Bill Bolen
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Wonderful pens and it sounds like you started with a good lathe too! Welcome to the vortex! It only goes downhill from here. More goodies to buy, wood to scrounge and not nearly enough time to turn...Bill...

Richard Madden
10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Welcome, Richard. Some fine looking pens there. I have never tried turning pens, but I have always appreciated the work that goes into them. Funny how we all get started for different reasons. For me it was natural edge bowls, I just had to see how they are done. Important thing is now you are hooked. Welcome to the vortex.;)

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 1:35 PM
Congratulations! Great job on the pens! You will find a lot of satisfaction with wood turning as a hobby, and at times some frustration, but it will be a great adventure from here on out!

Welcome to the VORTEX!

John Keeton
10-16-2010, 1:44 PM
Richard, great job on the pens, and it is always good to have another turner in our midst! Welcome!

Michael James
10-16-2010, 2:41 PM
Welcome..... that's how I got started, but I just watched the available videos, youtube etc.... and went from there. Lots of information here and some nice folks too! Yes, get the catalogs so you can beging to pro rate the payroll deduction plan on all the accessories, tools and wood you're going to need with that nice lathe.:cool:
Michael

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2010, 2:43 PM
Richard - Welcome to the Vortex!

Great looking pens! Remember that you are allowed up to a 800x600 pixel photo - would sure help us all appreciate your work!

Baxter Smith
10-16-2010, 3:43 PM
Nice pens and welcome!

David E Keller
10-16-2010, 4:07 PM
Nice thousand dollar pens!:eek::D

Seriously, welcome aboard.

Joe Scarfo
10-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Richard...

Good looking first pens indeed. My first pen was an acrylic made on the Delta Iron Bed lathe. My kids went nuts and I've been constantly cranking them out for them and their friends ever since.

This is indeed a vortex and the cost of the lathe is but the beginning..

I did my first pen on a Delta 1442 Iron Bed lathe.. then we picked up a Delta midi, then a Jet mini...

Last month I sold the Delta Iron Bed and picked up a Powermatic 3520B.

Good Luck and welcome
Joe

Steve Vaughan
10-16-2010, 7:52 PM
You've got good reason to be proud there! Welcome to a great group of folks!

Richard Gibson
10-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I gave these to my mother-in-law today for her birthday. I also posted them on my Facebook page. I now have three people willing to buy from me and several more reminding me of their birthdays and Christmas! Went to the woodworking store today and dropped another $100 bucks... THE VORTEX :). But loving it.

Steve Vaughan
10-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Gave these first pens to your mother-in-law? In addition to being a good turner, you are very, very wise! Major points right there!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Richard welcome to the round world. Really nice looking pens. All I can say is it looks like you went head first into the vortex.