PDA

View Full Version : A short introduction

Erin Stringer
12-22-2004, 8:50 PM
I've been lurking for a while here and finally have a little time to more properly introduce myself. I've been building my tool inventory for a couple years and finally have some projects completed.

In my lurking I have learned about the picture police so I have attached pictures of my most recent (junior high woodshop was a long time ago) projects. The bench and clock were just finished as Christmas gifts the table and bookcase were done over the past year.

I have a few projects in the works, one of which will involve painting a pine dresser. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions about covering the knots.

So, thanks for the unsolicited advice so far and thanks in advance for questions I will have in the future.

Erin

Jerry Todd
12-22-2004, 9:07 PM
Erin,
Fine craftmanship. Thanks for posting the pics.
Jerry

Tyler Howell
12-22-2004, 9:39 PM
Welcome Erin.

Glad to have you in the creek. A fine introduction.........With Pictures:D :D .
Nicely done.

Dick Parr
12-22-2004, 9:45 PM
Welcome to the SMC Erin and very nice work :)

Steve Cox
12-22-2004, 9:54 PM
Welcome Erin, and it looks like you remembered a lot from junior high shop!:)

Jerry Olexa
12-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Erin, Welcome. I used to live in Westerville,Ohio before moving to Chicago. Sure its warmer there. Tonight its 4 degrees. Your projects look great and glad you're here!

Lou Morrissette
12-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Erin. Nice looking work. I like the clock. Well done.

Lou

Wes Newman
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Erin, Welcome aboard. I really like the clock.;)

Jim Becker
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Beautiful work, Erin! I really like the bench with the through mortises, too. Welcome aboard as an active member of SMC!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Nice work Erin! I'm glad you posted the pix to keep Tyler and Chris Padilla off you back! Welcome to the 'Creek!

Bob Reeve
12-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Nice to meet you Erin,

I like the table. through tenons are difficult.

Bob

John Miliunas
12-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Erin! Glad you decided to become "active" here and jumped right in with pics and all! :D (Yeah, we gotta' keep ol' TJ happy, 'ya know!) Nice work! They're all well done, but I particularly like the execution on the table, with the tapers and all. Be nice to see a bit more detail on that guy!:) Anyhow, come often, stay long and keep those pics comin'!:cool:

Tony Falotico
12-23-2004, 6:45 AM
I particularly like the bench, simple design yet the through mortises give it a distinct professional look.

Rob Russell
12-23-2004, 6:56 AM
Nice work and welcome!

Dave Richards
12-23-2004, 8:05 AM
Erin, welcome.

You have a fine set of projects there. I like the legs on that table. Very slender and light.

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 8:44 AM
Very nice work ! Your going to like it here.....great food and beverages! Nice people too....

Ted Shrader
12-23-2004, 8:47 AM
Hi Erin -

Welcome to the Creek! A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Very nice collection pieces you have made. Well done!

Welcome,
Ted

Bob Hovde
12-23-2004, 9:21 AM
Welcome to the Creek! It looks like you could give advice, rather than need it. Nice work.

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Nice work Erin! Welcome to the Creek.

Charles McKinley
12-23-2004, 2:38 PM
Hi Erin,

Very impressive group of projects. I shellac based primer should contian any blled through from the knots. (Zinzer)

Welcome to the Creek!

Kent Cori
12-23-2004, 4:55 PM
Glad to have you with us Erin. I always enjoy having another fellow engineer in the Creek.

Erin Stringer
12-24-2004, 9:18 AM
I greatly appreciate all of the kind words.

Jerry- I'm not so sure that Westerville is any warmer today, we got 6-8" of snow with 2-3" of ice on top of that. The sun is coming up though, hopefully the roads get a bit better today.

Jim & Bob- I would like to say that I used true through mortises but the ends are built from 3 boards so I was able to cut the mortises on the edges of the boards and then glue them up. Someday I hope to make the real deal.

John- The table was a copy of something my wife brought home and had paid way too much for. I told her to take it back and I would build one for her (of course I would need a new tool to complete it;)). It came out nice but I would like to re-do the top someday, the oval was cut with a cheap jigsaw and isn't as smooth as I would like.

Again, thanks for all the encouragement.

Erin

Steve Beadle
12-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Glad to see you wading in the Creek!
I liked your placement of that knot on the bench leg--smack dab in the center! And I like the through-tenon design. Very nice!