PDA

View Full Version : LG front loader walks!

Gene Howe
10-16-2010, 10:06 AM
You folks have always been so helpful. Hope you don't mind another question.
We bought an LG set last December and I build pedestals for both units. Both pedestals are solidly built with a drawer in each. I sat the washer on it's pedestal, didn't strap it, put foam pads under the washer and under the pedestal. Leveled everything. The darned thing wants to walk off the pedestal and when I physically restrain the washer, it walks the pedestal across the tile floor.
Wife and I are very senior citizens and stooping to load and unload the washer is becoming a real pain in the..........back.
Any suggestions?

Dan Friedrichs
10-16-2010, 10:19 AM
My apologies if this is obvious (or if you have already checked), but sometimes there are shipping bolts that hold the drum tight for transit - are you sure those were removed?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Gene,

Have you tried operating it directly on the floor?

If so, does it walk across the floor then?

Gene Howe
10-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Dan, Yep, they were removed.

Ken, Yes, we've been using it down on the floor. And, it walks a little. About an inch in 3 loads. The front moves to the machine's right. Stops when it hits the base board.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Are they front loaders?

While sitting on the floor, are their feet on the bottom and do they touch?

May seem obvious...not trying to insult you....is the floor level and the machine touching ....not rocking when it is not being used?

Gene Howe
10-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your time, Ken.
Front loaders. Floor's level. Washer's level.
Friends who also have this unit have the same problems. One has the pedestal set sold by LG and installed by their authorized installers. They live in a house with joists and their chandeliers vibrate in rooms 30' from their laundry room.
Ours is on a tile over concrete floor.

Heather Thompson
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Gene,

I do not know what your pedestals look like but is it possible to attach the two together, thus increasing the total mass of the system, you could also apply a non slip material on both pedestals. Lee Valley sells a product that may do the trick, I have no personal experience with the material but it could be worth a try. Of course you would still need to secure the unit to the pedestal. Here is the link to the Lee Valley product. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx? p=32184&cat=1,43455,53293&ap=1

Heather

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I would suggest that LG needs to get involved.

Have you contacted their customer service yet?

Jim Becker
10-16-2010, 9:05 PM
Gene, we have the LG Steam Washer (and Steam Dryer) and it's never walked even a quarter inch. I think that the advise to contact service is appropriate as there likely is a pretty significant imbalance problem somewhere related to your washer, especially since you indicate it's level,

Rob Damon
10-16-2010, 9:22 PM
We have the LG combo as well that we purchased 3 years ago. We set it in the same location as the original washer was located and it didn't budge for two years. We added an upright freezer beside it and decided to swap the two to make it easier to get into the freezer. The LG washer moved all over the place. We had to box it in with foam strips to keep it from bounce against the wall. Two weeks ago we swapped them back. The LG hasn't moved, period. We have no explaination for it.

Rob

Steve Peterson
10-17-2010, 1:45 PM
We have the LG combo as well that we purchased 3 years ago. We set it in the same location as the original washer was located and it didn't budge for two years. We added an upright freezer beside it and decided to swap the two to make it easier to get into the freezer. The LG washer moved all over the place. We had to box it in with foam strips to keep it from bounce against the wall. Two weeks ago we swapped them back. The LG hasn't moved, period. We have no explaination for it.

Rob

My guess is that the leveling legs are perfectly positioned in the original position. The other position has a different floor level that allows the washer to rock slightly. This gives it just enough movement to walk across the floor.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2010, 2:54 PM
My guess is that the leveling legs are perfectly positioned in the original position. The other position has a different floor level that allows the washer to rock slightly. This gives it just enough movement to walk across the floor.

Steve

Steve,

I agree.

Even with self leveling legs, it's possible for the floor to be on the edge or just over the range for which the legs will correct.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-17-2010, 4:10 PM
I went through this hell.
Make sure (100%) ALL shipping bolts are removed.

GL

Bart Leetch
10-17-2010, 6:01 PM
A friend has a front load & there is a shipping bolt that is partially hid & hard to find make sure you get all the shipping bolts out. Double check the directions.

Gene Howe
10-17-2010, 6:52 PM
This unit was installed by the dealer. But, now you all have thinking I should tip it an inspect for packing bolts.