PDA

View Full Version : Wood Day

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 6:48 AM
Good Morning all,

Well, today is wood cutting day.........have to meet a friend at 8 a.m. and we will be cutting some trees. I am told one is large, and it will make at least 2 pickup loads or more.

While the day is primarily for firewood, I hear there is some maple down as well, and hope to get some of that for turning. It might be 3 loads all together.

I have my trusty Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar all sharp and ready to go, and a Poulan Pro 16" for limbing if needed, 2 gallons of gas/oil mix, and some extra chains for them if needed. Should be a day of hard work, and yet rewarding as well.

Hope the rest of you have a wonderful and productive day as well.

Matt Newton
10-16-2010, 7:10 AM
I'm very jealous. I remember fall days like this going with the whole family to cut wood. Of course now that I'm a turner I look at those same trees with a different perspective. I'm off to work this morning so enjoy the day and be safe. Happy hunting.

Richard Madden
10-16-2010, 7:44 AM
As you said, hard work, but rewarding. Hope you get plenty of rewards. Good luck, and be safe.

Greg Just
10-16-2010, 8:02 AM
Looks like a hard day of work with the potential for a big payoff. I'm taking a carload of Scouts to the Nation Weather Service to work on their Weather Merit Badge. Maybe I'll learn something today! Enjoy!

Ken Hill
10-16-2010, 8:37 AM
Be safe in this wind! Ive been in a treestand since 6:10 am and it forced me out its blowing so bad

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 1:32 PM
Well, I'm back from wood cutting.........got a large chestnut oak cut up into 18" - 20" lengths. The pickup was really weighted down, and squatting on the leaf springs pretty much.

I was disappointed with only getting a little maple, which was all small stuff. Not really anything one would want to turn unless making some spindle stuff.

I was grateful because my friends son came with him, and he is slick with a wood maul. He can split wood 3 times faster by hand than any log splitter machine out there! He used to work with a professional logger for a couple of years, and he is really good. I did not even have to raise a maul the first time, and only ran my chainsaw and loaded and unloaded.

I definitely broke a sweat a few times, but that is good for me, and even though it was hard work, I had a good time.

I plan to go back again before long and get another load or two!

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2010, 2:48 PM
Roger - did you keep any of the Oak for turning?

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 6:59 PM
Roger - did you keep any of the Oak for turning?

Steve,

Not on this load. My friend called me this afternoon and said they cut another oak, about 85 ft. high, and it has a burl on the bottom of it about 40" in diameter. He said some of it is rotten in the middle, but I am going to his place one morning next week and see if I can salvage some pieces of it. I am taking some anchor seal with me.

He said it was either Pin oak, or chestnut oak.....he thinks it is a pin oak.

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2010, 7:01 PM
Sounds good! Grab all the burl you can! Looking forward to the photos!

Roger Chandler
10-16-2010, 7:05 PM
Sounds good! Grab all the burl you can! Looking forward to the photos!

Steve,

My friend called it a "growth" on the bottom of the tree. I asked him to describe it to me, and from what he says, it sure sounds like a burl. :confused: I told him to leave it alone till I get there next week!

I would hate to see that end up on the firewood pile he has! :eek::eek::eek: Pics will be forth coming if it is what I think it is.