PDA

View Full Version : Masking issue

Sam Gardner
10-16-2010, 12:41 AM
grateful for input on a tile masking issue. I have some swimming pool tiles that require depth marks. I applied masking tape, vectored the text, removed inner masking and spray painted (Krylon type acrylic paint, has to be waterproof). Problem is the paint seeps under the masking tape due to the non slip coating on the tile. I even tried painters tape, really press wiped the tape in but still seepage. Rastering is not really an option as it will drive up cost. Any ideas?

Rodne Gold
10-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Hiya Sam -ltns.
Use sign vinyl , or polyester sign vinyl if you are worried about fumes etc (most shiny gold and silver vinyls are polyester based)
We use normal sign vinyl mostly as its a lot cheaper and a lot easier to remove and in all the years I have been vector cutting it , I have had no issue as the fumes are almost negligable when vectoring the thin stuff.

Robert Walters
10-16-2010, 2:11 AM
Hiya Sam -ltns.
Use sign vinyl , or polyester sign vinyl if you are worried about fumes etc (most shiny gold and silver vinyls are polyester based)
We use normal sign vinyl mostly as its a lot cheaper and a lot easier to remove and in all the years I have been vector cutting it , I have had no issue as the fumes are almost negligable when vectoring the thin stuff.

For my own curiosity, define "thin"?
I'd love to be able to laser cut vinyl once in a while.

If you know...
What's the difference between normal drag knife vinyl and laser vinyl?

Rodne Gold
10-16-2010, 3:54 AM
Thin PVC would be something like drag knife or self adhesive sign vinyl - laserable "vinyl" would actually not be PVC at all , but a polyester type film.
Occasional kiss cutting of sign vinyl wont be an issue , cutting thick sheets , rastering sign vinyl etc will.
All our perspex has a protective film that is pvc based , I mostly cut it with the film on.
I have machines that are at least 6+ years old that cut Acrylic(perspex) all day long , they still run just fine with no signs of corrosion at all. Rails and bearings still 100% etc.
You gonna probably have a whole lot of ppl advising you on pain of death not to kiss cut sign vinyl ...up to you what you do - but my experience is as above.

Sam Gardner
10-16-2010, 4:14 AM
Well Rodne's suggestion worked beyond expectation. Used normal sign vinyl kiss cut at low power high speed. No seepage at all. Now why did I not think about this before? Seems Rodne has tried lasering all under the sun, his contribution to our forum is priceless! Thanks again.