PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a lasertile mural

Steve McKee
10-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I have an opportunity to do a Lasertile mural, approximately 5 by 8 foot, and have no idea how to price it. I know some of you have done these before and am hoping you can provide some pricing ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

Joe Pelonio
10-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd have to price it based on the amount of detail in it (time) but I probably wouldn't go less than about $1,500-2,000.

Steve McKee
10-16-2010, 9:24 PM
Thanks Joe, that confirms my thoughts. I was thinking around $1,500.

Andrew Mammoliti
10-17-2010, 9:04 PM
Are these 6" laser tile? If so your cost would be around $900 just for the tile.

Gary Hair
10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I have an opportunity to do a Lasertile mural, approximately 5 by 8 foot, and have no idea how to price it. I know some of you have done these before and am hoping you can provide some pricing ideas.

Thanks,
Steve

Material cost * (something between 2 and 3)
plus laser time * (something between $1 and $2 per minute)
plus whatever dollar amount you feel necessary for perceived value
plus whatever amount you deem necessary for market conditions
minus whatever amount you feel like wh*^ing yourself out for...

sorry to be a bit short but this has been asked, and answered, over and over and over and over and over and over and over.............................................. .................................................. ............................

Zsolt Paul
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
There are plenty of examples online for 12x12 laser engraved granite tiles going for $100-$150. Even for larger jobs, you'll find engravers advertising $100-$150 / sf. (so the $100-$150 /sf ins't for single tiles only). That means that for a 5x8' @$2,000 you'll still only be at $50 / sf, which is at the LOW end of the spectrum. Granite tiles are also very cheap compared to laser tile, so you should be at $2,000 + material. This should be for laser time only and file / prep work should be extra, of course if it doesn't amount to be much, you might throw that in. So, my advise is that at the very least you should be at $2,000 + material (+file making/setup?). If you can get more, go for it!

Alexander Stein
10-18-2010, 1:16 PM
MAKE SURE THE LASER TILE YOU ARE PITCHING IS IN STOCK!!!

From what I gather 3score went under and all their inventory is being managed by West Coast Laser.

West Coast laser has a couple different batches of certain colors. In my experience batch-2-batch the colors tend to not match perfectly. Neither does the coating on the back.

$$ - Also, watch out for the desired end result. If you are engraving all the way through and then paint filling, keep in mind the labor involved in repainting each tile, etc.

Or, if you are just trying to darken the mark on the back of the lasertile (something I personally have not felt great about, consistent results and enough contrast), make sure each tile is consistent. . .

Personally, I am not a huge fan of this tile. Sure, all of the (computer developed) product photos of lasertile installed in cool buildings look very sweet, but so does the photo-shopped photo of me doing 150mph in a Ferrari.

Has anyone had any success in this product on a large scale?

Brian Knuckles
10-26-2010, 2:09 PM
I've had a lot of success with their Laser GLASS.

I actually have a large glass mural that I sold for $100/sqft! No joke.

Alexander; not sure if you know but they have ceramic tile that you laser on the front and the glass is lasered and filled on the back....you mention about lasering the LaserTile on the back, which is not want you want...lol

Anyway...the economy is bad, however I'm dealing with a few custom home builders and the rich still have money & I'll tell you...no one does LaserGlass murals! Thats where the money's at...people with money want to be the first to get something - and laser Glass works for me.

I usually quote my jobs on ceramic at about $50/sqft. And the glass a little higher...just depends.

I'll take lower bids...I'd rather have my laser make some money, even if its not what I want...still better than not make any money.

Alexander Stein
10-26-2010, 7:18 PM
yes, i am familiar with the laser tile that is ceramic. I guess i meant to say "laser tile glass"

do you have any install photos of the one you did for $100psf?

Bill Cunningham
10-26-2010, 9:20 PM
$50 a square foot is way too cheap for ceramic.

Dan Hintz
10-27-2010, 8:37 AM
I actually have a large glass mural that I sold for $100/sqft! No joke.
I probably would have charged more than that...

Bill Cunningham
10-28-2010, 9:15 PM
I probably would have charged more than that...

I'm $1.15 per sq inch including the glass and artwork time ($165.60 per sq ft)