PDA

View Full Version : Engraving baseballs

Dave Yanke
10-15-2010, 4:51 PM
I did a search and came up with very little. I have seen samples of regular baseballs done at shows and the like and was wondering if anyone has done them? I am looking for what types of setting to use. I will be using 1-Touch Laser Photo.

I have a customer that wants the for the area little league. Ideally they would want a picture and the stats on the ball. Not being able to do that, I "might" be able to sell just a logo and name. I am also assuming my rotary attachment will come into play.

Anyone worked with these? The appeal to them is the use of regulation baseballs, although I will be doing mini bats as well.

Curt Heggemeyer
10-15-2010, 5:27 PM
I have done a few baseballs and didnt use the rotarty attment at all and worked out fine, cant be a huge logo or text but small worked fine.
You will notice the material of the balls are not all standard, some will laser engrave nice, the next one will cut right through the covering.
The thing I didnt like was after you laser engrave it and if you rub the engraved part the burnt leather residue will get on the white part of the ball and discolor it. I used a tape mask and it still would leave a residue after you took the mask off and rubbed the lasered area. Now if there was a way to seal the engraved area than took the mask off you might be fine but I havent tried anything to see yet.
That is all I can help you with.

Curt

I did a search and came up with very little. I have seen samples of regular baseballs done at shows and the like and was wondering if anyone has done them? I am looking for what types of setting to use. I will be using 1-Touch Laser Photo.

I have a customer that wants the for the area little league. Ideally they would want a picture and the stats on the ball. Not being able to do that, I "might" be able to sell just a logo and name. I am also assuming my rotary attachment will come into play.

Anyone worked with these? The appeal to them is the use of regulation baseballs, although I will be doing mini bats as well.

Joe Pelonio
10-15-2010, 8:46 PM
I had decent results with clear shoe polish on it before engraving, then use low power and if it's too faint run again (without moving it!). As mentioned they are very inconsistent but if you go too deep it's ruined.

Make sure to get extras and tell them this ahead of time.

Mike Null
10-16-2010, 6:14 AM
My experience with baseballs is very limited but I found that the horsehide is very thin and brittle. You must be very careful with your settings to avoid engraving through the leather.