PDA

View Full Version : Golf Trophies

Mike Cruz
10-15-2010, 4:11 PM
For the story on these trophies, go to this link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1535280#poststop
It is where I started a thread about having to add oooooone more coat of finish when i really didn't have time to.

Anyway, here are the finished pics of the 9 trophies. I was only commissioned to make 6 (2 for Saturday winners, and 4 for Sunday winners) for the 25th anniversary of a golf outing this weekend. But I ended up making an extra 3 as a surprise for the 3 guys that have been running this outing, just a little special thank you for organizing this thing for so long. When my dad was still alive, it was something we truely looked forward to doing together.

I've been attending the tournament for at least 15 years.

Sorry about some kinda repeated shots, each one showed off a different aspect...from my view. Some are with flash (showed more wood detail) and some without (no glare).

I used cherry for the bases and the tee's. I used figured maple for the 25's. The little posts holding up the 25's are ebony. Dimensions are 10"W x 3"D x 7 1/2"T (base is 2" and Tee's are 5 1/2").

Andy Sowers
10-15-2010, 5:21 PM
Wow... those turned out great! Quite the honor being asked to make the trophies... I hope you come home with one!

Some of the photos have the same effect as standing between two mirrors! Neat!

--Andy

Steve Schlumpf
10-15-2010, 5:29 PM
Very nice work Mike! Folks are going to love them!

Ray Bell
10-15-2010, 6:09 PM
Very nice Mike. Did you cut the "25" out with a scroll saw?

Tony De Masi
10-15-2010, 7:38 PM
Very nicely done Mike. Sure seems like alot of work but for such an event that is obviously something you shared with your dad. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Great work Mike and nicely done.

Baxter Smith
10-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice work Mike. They will stand out on the winners trophy shelves!

Mike Cruz
10-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Nope, I don't have a scroll saw. I used my 14" band saw with an 1/8" blade.

Mike Cruz
10-16-2010, 6:58 AM
Forgot to say thank you for all the nice comments. They'll be delivered today, with me and a whole lotta whoop butt on the course today!

John Keeton
10-16-2010, 7:21 AM
Mike, those are really nice! Excellent work on the replication of the tees, and overall very balanced in design. Seems like a really neat project with some great memories of your Dad - I bet the guys really appreciate them.

Mike Cruz
10-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, the trophies were a hit. The guys that run the outing were very happy with them and the winning recipients were thrilled. I got repeated kudos from some guys that just loved them, and others just couldn't believe that I actually made them. One guy that won one was even so kind as to say that he's glad he got one this year because they'll never have trophies this nice again.

Thank you all for your nice comments as well.

Mike Cruz
10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Oh, and John, thanks. Yes, duplication on spindle turning was something I learned when I turned for my old boss. He taught me to key points, make depth cuts, then finish between them. The first couple of tees took me about an hour to turn. By the 8th or 9th, I got to about 30 minutes each. The last two or three were just over 20 minutes each, but at that speed, I messed up on one. Oh, and I say "that speed" I mean at that length of time, not that it was really fast. I'm sure some of you could crank them out faster. While I needed them quickly, I'm not into messing up. That irks me quite a bit. The one I messed up was about 15 minutes into it. That is 15 minutes wasted. I don't see the ones that took me 30 minutes to be 10 minutes wasted...