PDA

View Full Version : New Compact Routers

Kevin Gregoire
10-15-2010, 2:57 PM
has anyone bought one of these new compact routers yet from PC or Dewalt??
nice and small with lots more power then a laminate trimmer plus they have
an optional plunge base.

Dewalt Compact Router (http://www.dewalt.com/pages/promotions/CompactRouters-Promo/CompactRouters-Promo.aspx)

Porter Cable Compact Router (http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=24108#)

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/LARGE/6/DWP611PK_1.jpg

http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/PORTER-CABLE/TOOLS/LARGE/4/450PK_1.jpg

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 3:02 PM
Are they actually available yet? I plan to get the Dewalt based on the one I saw/played with at IWF, but to the best of my knowledge they haven't hit the street yet.

Mike OMelia
10-15-2010, 3:08 PM
I like that, especially the Dewalt with speed control.

Mike

Chris Harry
10-15-2010, 3:13 PM
Wood mag. says they are doing a review of the DeWalt next month, I dont need a trim router, but I might buy it anyway just because it looks like it can be a trim router and a little more with the extra power and base.

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 3:21 PM
Wood mag. says they are doing a review of the DeWalt next month, I dont need a trim router, but I might buy it anyway just because it looks like it can be a trim router and a little more with the extra power and base.

Quite frankly for me this doesn't replace say a Bosch Colt, it is a little big for use as just a trimmer. Where I think it will be great is in those uses where we tend to use a trim router because it is smaller and lighter but we really could use more power. I am curious how well the plunge will work for inlay.

Kevin Gregoire
10-15-2010, 3:24 PM
i did a search and i seen several places selling them so they must be out?

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 3:33 PM
i did a search and i seen several places selling them so they must be out?

The discussions on other forums, though it was a few days ago, indicated nobody was able to actually find someone that had them to ship. I think the "due date" is October so anytime now. The consensus seemed to be shipment was close enough to warranted putting the items "up for sale". The couple of people I read about who had pre-ordered had yet to get them, but as I said it has been a couple of days and it might also be the vendor they pre-ordered from.

Will Overton
10-15-2010, 3:41 PM
The order form at Grainer come up;

2 base kit ships in 1 to 3 days
Router only ships from the manufacturer within 4 days

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 3:55 PM
The order form at Grainer come up;

2 base kit ships in 1 to 3 days
Router only ships from the manufacturer within 4 days

Interestingly enough if you follow the OPs link and click on buy it you get this message:

Currently, we have no online dealers selling this product

glenn bradley
10-15-2010, 5:19 PM
If Bosch would just make a decent (and decently priced) plunge base for the Colt I would be happy.

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 5:21 PM
If Bosch would just make a decent (and decently priced) plunge base for the Colt I would be happy.

A LOT of people would love the same. Not only is it a proven router if they sold it ala carte as well there would be a lot of happy Colt owners.

Mike Reinholtz
10-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Anyone else look at the two pics in the original post and notice they are identical other than paint? I don't see any difference other than the speed dial location.

Jim O'Dell
10-15-2010, 11:05 PM
My thought exactly Mike. But being the same company, it's not a surprise. Just thought they'd camouflage it a little more. Jim.

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Anyone else look at the two pics in the original post and notice they are identical other than paint? I don't see any difference other than the speed dial location.

It isn't the location of the speed dial its the lack of speed dial on the PC, it is single speed. Evidence of badge engineering that even GM would be proud of. Apparently the addition of variable speed makes this a step up from PC to Dewalt in the new scheme...:(

Rick Potter
10-16-2010, 3:38 AM
I'm with Glen, wish they would come out with that plunge base for the Bosch Colt that they have been talking about.

Also wish they would take 1/2" bits. Most of my small ones are still 1/2".

Rick Potter

Keith Outten
10-16-2010, 6:47 AM
Three Axis Mill

Micro Fence has the plunge base you want for the Colt........but it is very pricey.
I own one, it is incredibly accurate and smooth as glass......but it is very pricey.
There isn't a plunge base in its class, at least not that I have ever seen, unless you count the custom plunge base that Bruce Page made.

J. Greg Jones
10-16-2010, 7:42 AM

The DeWalt also has dual LED lights while I believe the PC has none. The fixed base sub-bases are different also-D-shape on the DW and round on the PC. Otherwise, the VS feature appears to be the only other difference.

lowell holmes
10-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd like a plunge base for my Colt also.

Kevin Gregoire
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Rockler shows the Dewalt in stock

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=27074

pat warner
10-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Would very much appreciate knowing what the advantage to a small plunger is.

Will Overton
10-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Actually Pat, we were waiting for you to tell us. :)

John Coloccia
10-16-2010, 12:29 PM

To get into small areas where the larger routers don't fit. Also for use on small ledges where larger routers can be unstable. Also for freehand work where a large router is inconvenient and cumbersome to maneuver.

Dave Lehnert
10-16-2010, 5:52 PM
Rockler shows the Dewalt in stock

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=27074

Looks like this one from Rockler does not have the plunge base.

Jamie Buxton
10-16-2010, 6:31 PM

Here's one place I've always wanted a small plunger... Y'know those kits for doing inlay? The ones that use a 1/8" straight bit, and a template guide with two different outside diameters? They really want a plunge motion for the bit, but my full-size plunge is larger than I really want to use. The full-size one has a big footprint, so the template has to be large, and the clamps have to be a long way away from the working area. On some work, the footprint of the full-size router is bigger than the workpiece, so clamping down on the template levers the template off the workpiece. Of course, I can make it work, but a smaller plunger would be a worthwhile purchase for me.

(Okay, it hasn't been worthwhile for me when the price is $500 or so. $150 would fit my budget better.)

Jay Allen
10-16-2010, 7:08 PM
For inlays, keyhole slots and other "field" cuts it would be great. I have wanted one since I first heard about them.

There were a lot of "nay-sayers" about Porter-Cable's baby belt sander when they were introduced......I wouldn't be w/o mine. I got the first one my local WoodCraft sold.

Ray Newman
10-16-2010, 7:16 PM
I have a 20+ year old and now discontinued PC 100 router. See --
http://www.drillspot.com/products/58856/Porter_Cable_100_Router

Don't use it a great deal, but its small footprint and ease of use has come in handy at times.

Besides comparing the mechanics and features of the new DW & PC routers, find a store with both in stock to handle and examine both and determine which feels better to you and fits your hands.

John Coloccia
10-16-2010, 9:05 PM
So way back when PC was owned by Rockwell, Rockwell sold a laminate trimmer that was a FANTASTIC little machine. They screwed up a lot of things, but that laminate trimmer was great. I think that's what eventually became the now discontinued PC310. This router just seems like the next evolutionary step, although I have to say that just from the pictures it seems like it is a little top heavy and maybe not as well made. That's just my impression from the pictures and I really hope I'm dead wrong. If it's more like the old trim router, I will be very happy!

I liked the old Rockwell trimmer more than my Bosch Colt, but I have a feeling that my Colt will stay my favorite here on out. In fact, Bosch is slowly taking over as the leader of the router stable.

Mike Heidrick
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
I am thinking this little Dewalt is going to be rockin for the DIY CNC Router guys with the little benchtop machines.

pat warner
10-17-2010, 11:40 AM
"Also for use on small ledges where larger routers can be unstable."

I make the subbases for the MicroFence plunger, 6" in diameter.
Tho a small machine, it still has the footprint of a Milwaukee or 1617 Bosch. I don't yet see the space savings here over the DW.
DW is not coming clean with the diameter of this new small plunger, any idea what it is?

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 12:24 PM
The fixed base is 4". I don't know about the plunge base. For really small and intricate work, like inlays, I have a base for my dremel that I bought from StewMac. It's pricey but I LOVE it.

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 1:06 PM
"Also for use on small ledges where larger routers can be unstable."

DW is not coming clean with the diameter of this new small plunger, any idea what it is?

Do you mean the base or the motor. The plunge base is 4 3/8" x 5 3/4"

pat warner
10-17-2010, 1:42 PM
"Do you mean the base or the motor. The plunge base is 4 3/8" x 5 3/4" "

Still don't see the space savings, weight yes but not footprint.
PC 690,100, 630, 6931 etal, have casting footprints (what you call base) = 5.75".
Moreover, whence the machine uses >50% of its footprint (inside work), it is not much of handling/weight, hassle/compromse; the work is supporting the router, not the woodworker (on inside work).

Also, I'm betting the handle axis, (11.5" on the 6182 casting), is much >>9" on this small plunger. Just as likely to run into fixturing as any router.

In my view, this may be a uniqiue plunger, answering some consumer demands, but is otherwise unremarkable.

(Sure to put me in the good graces of DW, right?)

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 5:20 PM
You realize that the point of he router is a fixed base, not the plunge base, right? They purposely made the plunge base large presumably so someone that did mostly small work could still have a plunge base for those occasional plunge router types of jobs. The fixed base is where you get size savings.

I suppose you could say all the same things about the Colt, but lots of woodworkers like myself love that little router for small jobs, just like the PC 310.

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 5:22 PM
In my view, this may be a uniqiue plunger, answering some consumer demands, but is otherwise unremarkable.

It just needs someone to make a remarkable sub-base for it. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/roflmao.gif

Mike Heidrick
10-17-2010, 5:23 PM
What is the diameter of the motor housing? I am thinking second spindle.

pat warner
10-17-2010, 6:01 PM
"The fixed base is where you get size savings."

Then what does it (the fixed base casting) have that other 15 trimmers don't? Just no biggee for this operator.

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 6:40 PM
More power, more range, more precise height adjustment, a better collet. You've decided you don't like it and it's not for you, and that's fine, but there are clear differences between this and laminate trim routers. All you have to do is look at the specs and it's all right there. I've no doubt that there are many just like you that don't see the advantage, but as hard as it may be to believe, not everyone is doing the same kind of woodworking so my needs may be very different to your needs.

For example, sometimes 1/4" more clearance is the difference between easily being able to use a router, or having to create a jig so I can work around obstructions. You obviously don't run into that, but me and tons of people like me do.

What I find most confusing about the whole thing is that they seem to have decided that Porter Cable is their low-end brand. I find that strange since Porter Cable was the leader in routers for so long. Why destroy that and make them #2??

pat warner
10-17-2010, 7:03 PM
Mr. Coloccia.
Could you please point me to the link that has this data. I can only find the ad-hype. No weight specs, no collet specs, up/down depth adjustment mechanism, depth range, motor lock & so on. Could be, I am not seeing the whole picture.

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 7:06 PM
DeWalt.com

http://dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-routers-dwp611pk.aspx

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2010, 7:15 PM
What I find most confusing about the whole thing is that they seem to have decided that Porter Cable is their low-end brand. I find that strange since Porter Cable was the leader in routers for so long. Why destroy that and make them #2??

Porter Cable may have been the top name in routers but from DeWalts point of view they had the chance to purchase PC so now WE will be the number one brand.
Pc may have been the top brand in router but how about everything else like drill etc...Just may have been a compromise to keep one name lower end over all and another upper end. ?????

I purchased a Dewalt router a few years ago over the PC and at the time thought it was the better unit.

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 7:25 PM
Dave,
It is Stanley Toolworks / Black & Decker that is making the decisions. They needed to differentiating between the brands now that they all fall under the same umbrella. Since B&D turned their Commercial line yellow, in the '80's, contractors have been flocking to them. That's where the bread and butter is. They can't have their own products competing head to head, so one brand needs to be on top, across the line. It's a slow process.

mreza Salav
10-17-2010, 7:31 PM
I mostly use my Colt router for inlay works and always wished it was a plunge one (right now I tilt the router and lower the bit slowly).
Also, many people might not care but the LED lights at the bottom can be quite useful to see those mark lines where you want to stop/start (that can be a bit more difficult to see with a bit of dust once you get going).
If this was out when I was looking for a trim router I'd have definitely considered it seriously over Colt but now I find it difficult to justify two trim routers for a hobby shop.

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 7:57 PM
Mr. Coloccia.
Could you please point me to the link that has this data. I can only find the ad-hype. No weight specs, no collet specs, up/down depth adjustment mechanism, depth range, motor lock & so on. Could be, I am not seeing the whole picture.

Sure. I don't know about Dewalt's site, but here it is on PC's.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=24108

You have to really read it to get the info. A lot of the "specs" aren't filled out yet. I know it's a new product, but why advertise it and then skimp on the last 10 minutes of work to fill in a few specs? Frustrating.

I have the 7310 laminate trimmer. "Precise" is not a word I would use to describe it. It's really not very usable as a general purpose router. The 7310 is only 3/4HP too. I believe the Bosch Colt (which I also have and love) is 1HP, and the new PC/Dewalt is 1 1/4. The Colt seems to be about the minimum that I find useful for any real work. The 7310 just bogs down at anything but light trim jobs and the like (but I got it for a specific job and it does it very well). The Colt is an honest to God usable, light duty router. The new Porter Cable seems to be just a bit bigger and a bit more powerful. I wouldn't put the Colt in the "laminate trimmer" class. I'd definitely put it in the same class as the new PC/Dewalt. This is the first real competition the Colt has had, save for the PC 310.

John Coloccia
10-17-2010, 8:00 PM
I mostly use my Colt router for inlay works and always wished it was a plunge one (right now I tilt the router and lower the bit slowly).
Also, many people might not care but the LED lights at the bottom can be quite useful to see those mark lines where you want to stop/start (that can be a bit more difficult to see with a bit of dust once you get going).
If this was out when I was looking for a trim router I'd have definitely considered it seriously over Colt but now I find it difficult to justify two trim routers for a hobby shop.

Check this out:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_for_cutting_binding_channels/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

You can get attachments too. It's an absolute pleasure doing fiddly inlay work with this thing.

Bruce Wrenn
10-17-2010, 8:15 PM
[QUOTE=John Coloccia;1537370 I find that strange since Porter Cable was the leader in routers for so long. Why destroy that and make them #2??[/QUOTE]Just go into Lowes and look at the crap (polite term) that now says PC on it.

Noah Katz
10-17-2010, 9:59 PM
...wish they would come out with that plunge base for the Bosch Colt that they have been talking about.

Is "they" Bosch or forum folks?

Rick Potter
10-18-2010, 2:43 AM
Noah,

As I remember, there was a report on a trade or hardware show where it was reported Bosch was introducing a new Colt kit with a plunge base.

Rick Potter

Curt Harms
10-18-2010, 8:25 AM

I could be wrong about this but I figured it was because Black & Decker/DeWalt bought Porter-Cable, not vice versa.

Will Overton
10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
"Stanley Black & Decker" is the company that owns all those brands.

A short history;

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/company/history

The brands;

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/products-services/our-brands

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Check this out:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_for_cutting_binding_channels/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

You can get attachments too. It's an absolute pleasure doing fiddly inlay work with this thing.

This base doesn't plunge, does it? If it does, I don't see that anyplace in the product description.

John Coloccia
10-18-2010, 12:02 PM
This base doesn't plunge, does it? If it does, I don't see that anyplace in the product description.

No, it doesn't plunge, but with the tiny bits I use, and the shallow depth of cut for inlay work, it really doesn't matter. You just tilt it into the cut. If you really don't have room for that because of fine work, I have a pin vise that I chuck a tiny bit into and make a starter hole.

The circle cutting attachment is very cool to. It makes a very accurate channel and very accurate through cuts.

It's definitely a step up from doing this kind of work with a laminate trim router in my opinion.

Noah Katz
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Glad to hear that, thanks.

Noah,

As I remember, there was a report on a trade or hardware show where it was reported Bosch was introducing a new Colt kit with a plunge base.

Rick Potter

Kevin Gregoire
10-30-2010, 10:49 AM
hey everyone,
Eagle America has the compact Dewalt on sale for $139

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/803-0611/shop_by_brand_-_dewalt

http://www.eagleamerica.com/images/uploads/803-0611-1_l.jpg

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 1:15 PM
hey everyone,
Eagle America has the compact Dewalt on sale for $139

That is without the plunge base which they have for $199, so I think it is just the normal street price that was expected.

Kevin Killoy
12-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I have been considering the Dewalt DWP611PK since I first saw it. I already own the Bosch 1617evs combo. The price being almost as much as a full sized router, and one person saying that the plunge base was not well made in his opinion, almost made me not buy the router. I just received the DWP611pk for Christmas. Having never held the router, I examined it very closely. I have to say, I am very impressed with the build quality, feel, smooth motor and ease of use. I think Dewalt has a real winner with this router. I was first considering the Bosch Colt or Ridgid palm routers. I think this router is a much better router for my woodworking needs than either the Bosch Colt or Ridgid palm routers would have been. If you have been considering this Dewalt, get it, you will love it. Thanks to SMC for such a great WW forum.

Kevin

Louis Brandt
12-25-2010, 1:04 PM
I telephoned Bosch a few weeks ago and asked the representative whether Bosch was considering bringing out a plunge base for the Colt, or even whether they were considering a new model of the Colt which would have a plunge base. The answer that I got was "no" to both questions. Of course, I don't know whether this is just Bosch's current position on the subject and whether that position might change after they see how much interest there is in the DeWalt model.

Al Weber
12-25-2010, 2:01 PM
I bought two of the Dewalts for my step son and I in early December. They were available through Amazon but shipped from CPO. The PC units are not variable speed and do not have the LEDs. I paid basically the same for the Dewalt as what Woodcraft is advertising the PC units. They work well but I haven't yet used it much so will wait until I have more experience before forming an opinion.

Rich Wedler
04-07-2011, 6:06 PM
It just needs someone to make a remarkable sub-base for it. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/roflmao.gif

Just added to our inventory this past season!

Kevin Gregoire
07-07-2011, 10:40 PM
has anyone bought either of these routers and tried them out? if so, how do you like or dislike them? please fill us in.

Bill Huber
07-08-2011, 2:11 AM
has anyone bought either of these routers and tried them out? if so, how do you like or dislike them? please fill us in.

Take a look at this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153632-Dewalts-new-baby-the-611-head-to-head-with-a-Bosch-Colt&highlight=Dewalts+new+baby

Larry Edgerton
07-08-2011, 6:51 AM
They look too top heavy to me. There needs to be a relationship between the height and the width of the base and this just seems wrong, basic physics that can not be denied. Looks like poorly designed crap designed to sell at the Borg.

I have a stash of 7 PC 310s, I'm all set.

Larry Edgerton
07-08-2011, 7:03 AM
I have the 7310 laminate trimmer. "Precise" is not a word I would use to describe it. It's really not very usable as a general purpose router. The 7310 is only 3/4HP too. I believe the Bosch Colt (which I also have and love) is 1HP, and the new PC/Dewalt is 1 1/4. The Colt seems to be about the minimum that I find useful for any real work. The 7310 just bogs down at anything but light trim jobs and the like (but I got it for a specific job and it does it very well). The Colt is an honest to God usable, light duty router. The new Porter Cable seems to be just a bit bigger and a bit more powerful. I wouldn't put the Colt in the "laminate trimmer" class. I'd definitely put it in the same class as the new PC/Dewalt. This is the first real competition the Colt has had, save for the PC 310.

I bought a 7310 when they came out. What a clumbsy piece of junk! That height adjustment on the side loosened up one day and let a trim bit gouge a laminate face. I smashed it on the floor! Bad tools do not last long in my shop. It was too top heavy and did not fall well in the hand, and with that side adjusted base it seemed to loose it feel. Buy an old 310 for the kind of work you do and you will be happy. Its like an extension of your hand. In their infinite wisdom BD/Dewalt decided to stop production of the best small router ever made?

Larry