PDA

View Full Version : First Kitchen

Tom Welch
10-15-2010, 2:56 PM
This is my first post here in the projects section. This is my first kitchen. I remodeled the entire kitchen, floors, Built all the cabinets, and currently working on a coffered style ceiling. The kitchen is my moms and she is very short, so she designed the upper wall cabinets, lower and deeper so she could access them easyer. I have really learned a lot from this build. The cases are birch ply. The face frames and doors, drawer fronts and panels are maple, Stained and laquered.

Brett Baldwin
10-15-2010, 3:01 PM
Great work Tom. Looks top notch all the way 'round.

Tom Welch
10-15-2010, 3:02 PM
Here is some more pics. Both upper corner units have lazy susans.

Dave MacArthur
10-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice job Tom! Your Mom will be very happy with those, and I'm sure she's quite proud of you for this!

Gordon Eyre
10-16-2010, 9:34 AM
Wow, your mom's has to be mighty proud of her son for this project. Way to go, your work looks great.

Mac Cambra
10-16-2010, 4:24 PM
Project looks great, I am sure your mom loves the new kitchen. I think you should add one last touch, a matching step stool.

Great job.

Tom Welch
10-16-2010, 6:34 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. Mac, what a great idea. I think I will build her a matching step stool.

Sam Layton
10-17-2010, 9:53 AM
Tom,

That is a great looking kitchen. That is a very good thing you did for your mother. She will be very proud every time she tells someone that her son build her kitchen.

Make sure you include photo's of the ceiling when you get finished.

Sam

Van Huskey
10-24-2010, 7:17 PM
Great looking 1st (or 20th) kitchen!

John Gregory
10-25-2010, 6:06 PM
I like it, what stain and finish did you use? Maple can stain unevenly, but yours look wonderful. I like the color. Great job

Tom Welch
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
John, sorry to get back to you so late. I have been very busy with 2 projects. I keep forgetting to get down the can of stain when I am in the shop. The stain is the Cabot brand from Lowes. I cann't read the stain as it is one of their store mixes and the tag has faded. I used a pre stain conditioner.

Bryan Wuest
11-05-2010, 9:34 PM
Tom,
Great job and I'm sure you're Mom is pleased. What are the room dimesions and how did you come up with the floor plan?

Tom Giacomo
11-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Very nice job, great craftsmanship.

Tom Welch
11-13-2010, 6:35 AM
Again thanks for all the kind comments. Bryan, my mom simply told me where she wanted certain appliances and I suggested the locations of the various cabinets, like the drawers for pots and pans next to the stove etc.
I don't remember the room dimesions, I am currently in Brazil working offshore (I operate an ROV for a living) I get those to you when I get back home.