PDA

View Full Version : cordless phones with answering machine.

Chuck Wintle
10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I want to buy a new cordless phone with the built-in answering machine. The panasonic models look good and the price is right so, of course, I want to know what everyones experiences are with these type of phones.

chuck

Matt Meiser
10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
We've got a Uniden DECT 6.0 system we bought at Costco a few years ago for the house. Really good range and it worked out to my shop about 120' behind the house, but not too far inside. One really nice feature is that you can control the answering machine from any extension and there's a message waiting indicator on each. It also has a phone-phone intercom feature that works just like a phone call, other than making the call from a menu instead of dialing.

For work I use a Uniden 5.8Ghz without the answering machine since I have voicemail. It gets used a LOT and has worked well for me. I have two and on busy days have to swap batteries.

Darius Ferlas
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I have been using a Uniden set I bought in 2000 at Radio Shack. No issues at all. I haven't even changed the batteries yet. I will be upgrading to a newer model only because I cannot get additional phones for the 10 year old set. Radio shack brand is also manufactured by Uniden so I would not hesitate to buy those.

Whatever you buy, try to make sure they are either DECT 6. That way you will have no interference with the 2.4GHz or 5.8 GHz wireless network devices.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
We have a Uniden we also bought at Costco. It works well. It has 3 receivers and I have one receiver in my detached shop. We have had no issues.

Darryl Hazen
10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Panasonic. Never had a problem with them.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
We had a Uniden years ago, and it was a good unit. We currently have a Panasonic, albeit a few years old, but it works well. Range is very good (IMO); it has a 'boost' feature to up the signal strength if you encounter a problem (I use that often when I'm in the furthest corner of the housse, or outside); and you can get messages from the answering machine from any extension. You can also copy the phone directory from the base unit to each handset - this might not be a unique feature though.

John Coloccia
10-15-2010, 1:22 PM
I really really like my Vtechs. Easily the best phones I've owned. The expandable sytems are nice.

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2010, 2:04 PM
We bought the Uniden TRU9488-3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017KPNM2/) in December 2007 and we have been very pleased. There are 3 cordless handsets, but the corded handset still works during a power outage. The range is very good. We have no trouble getting a signal anywhere in the house including the basement. Even though the answering machine is built into the corded handset it can be accessed from any of the cordless handsets with the push of a button. After almost four years I am just now starting to notice battery life problems so it's probably time to replace those suckers.

My 2 cents.
Charles

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 5:25 PM
People actually have phones still connected with wires... who knew. :D

Ben Franz
10-15-2010, 6:30 PM
We have an inexpensive ( dare I say cheap?) Uniden 5.8 GHz 4 station system that has been a complete PITA. Phone will ring but no audio either one or both ways - sometimes the caller can hear us but not the other way, sometimes nothing. Trying to activate dial tone and all stations are dead. The fix is to unplug power from the base station. Other than that, Mrs, Lincoln enjoyed the play. Grumble, grumble ....

Jim Pletcher
10-15-2010, 7:22 PM
I have a house full of Panasonic KX-TG6445 phones (actually two sets) and love them!

Jim O'Dell
10-15-2010, 7:39 PM
Another Creeker happy with Panasonic. Ours is the 5.8 GHz unit. Has 4 handsets and 3 outboard charging stations. I keep a charger and one handset in the shop. No problems with it at all. Jim.

Steve Griffin
10-15-2010, 9:20 PM
People actually have phones still connected with wires... who knew. :D

Our cell phones have "built in answering machines".

No doubt our land line provider is probably disappointed that we decided to keep the $600 a year we sent him every year. But I can't say it has been the slightest problem to ditch that last century technology and the monthly bill.

-Steve

Stephen Tashiro
10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd like to know which models of cordless phones have an utterly simple way to set the date and time. My set uses a purely audio interface. It's such a nuisance that I don't bother. Which models have a visual display? Better yet, which ones will automatically call a number that gives the date and time and set it themselves?!

Cary Falk
10-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Been happy with my Panaonic Direct 6.0, 4 phone set for years

Neal Clayton
10-16-2010, 4:50 AM
whichever you choose pick the DECT models, which run in the 1900mhz range i think. simple physics. lower frequencies travel further. these high frequency phones sometimes don't work in the next room, i returned about 4 or 5 of them before my brain started working and reminded me what the problem was ;).

Curt Harms
10-16-2010, 5:34 AM
I have been using a Uniden set I bought in 2000 at Radio Shack. No issues at all. I haven't even changed the batteries yet. I will be upgrading to a newer model only because I cannot get additional phones for the 10 year old set. Radio shack brand is also manufactured by Uniden so I would not hesitate to buy those.

Whatever you buy, try to make sure they are either DECT 6. That way you will have no interference with the 2.4GHz or 5.8 GHz wireless network devices.

+1 on DECT 6 although I'm not sure there's a new phone without it. Our cordless phone is near the wireless router and we were having problems--the voice would go dead but the call would not disconnect e.g. no dial tone, just silence. The verizon tech that installed FiOS suggested setting the wireless router to a fixed channel, not auto. He said that should help with the interference from the wireless router at least.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Very well satisfied with the Panasonic KX-TG6445 which has 5 handsets. It is DECT 6 and includes an answering machine. It was easy to set up and works flawlessly. We definitely would buy it again.

David G Baker
10-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I have the Panasonic KX-TG6445 and am very happy with it. The thing I like the most is I don't have to run a phone line to the 4 remote hand-set bases and only one line to the base-station/answering machine.

Jim Becker
10-16-2010, 9:02 PM
Like Matt, I use a UNIDEN DECT 6.0 system, currently with 5 handsets including one in my shop. It shipped with four. Very happy with it. The unit I have does have a built-in answering machine, although I have it turned off and use VZ voicemail. (Yes, the message waiting light lights on all handsets, too) I bought my system online direct from UNIDEN...they often have very good deals in their outlet store.

Chuck Wintle
10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks to everyone with your respondes to my cordless phone question. With so many brands and models choosing one could have been a case of "pick one...anyone".

What finally narrowed the choices for me were the many reviews available on amazon.com.

I went with the brand that had the least negative reviews and the most features for the money which was vtech. I selected model 6329-2 which came with two handsets and, of course, a digital answering machine. Now I can get rid of the voice mail service from my phone company which is $10/month. In a few months the phone will be paid for. Thanks again.