PDA

View Full Version : Router Table / Router questions

Scott Sallyards
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I presently have a Sears router table. It has been ok for now but it does not provide all the features I would like. I want to build a new one and not sure if I should build it into my table saw or build a stand alone. I have a garage workshop so space is always a concern. I would like anyone’s opinion on this. Also I plan on purchasing a new router for the table. I already have 2 other’s that I use so this one would be permanent for the new table. I would like one that changes bits out easy and can adjust the height from above. Again if anyone has a favorite router they use, please tell me what you have and what you like about it.

Thanks

Scott

Neil Brooks
10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
My very quick $0.02.

If you don't NEED the space, I'm not sure what the OTHER advantages are to using your TS for your router table, too.

Okay. Many have accurate fences, right off the bat, too, I guess.

If I were doing it again, I'd build one in the style of Norm Abram's

http://www.newyankee.com/photos/0301.jpg

Is it perfect ? Doubt it.

But it seems to do everything very well.

As to routers, I have the Milwaukee 5625-20 and flat-out LOVE it, for table use. But if you really want everything above the table, people seem to rave about the Triton routers.

Good luck !

Bill Huber
10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Scott, I have a very small shop, 12x16 and I have a router table.

I have to move my saw around a lot and I am the type of builder that will have all the tools in the shop going at once. Well not running all at once but using them. I would not be a very good Shop Smith user.

I set the TS up and make some cuts and then go to the router to see how it looks or fits. So I am always switching back and forth from one to the other, but that is just me in the way I work.

As to the router, I have a Bosch 1617 and it is a very good router. You may want to look for just a router motor and not one with a base. Get a good lift to put on the router table and you will love it.

I had a base on the router that could be adjusted from the top and it worked very well, but I then got a lift and will never go back, they are just that nice.

I guess bottom line is, it is what you like and want. I like the table because I switch back and forth so much and I do like the table to be a little higher then it would be on the TS.

I am sure there will be others that have a completely different view about it but that is what is neat about this place.

glenn bradley
10-15-2010, 2:24 PM
This has been discussed at length in many threads. Google search here on "router table router" and so forth for tons of info and opinions.

My tablesaw doesn't move so my router table wing eventually morphed into a table that is still bolted to the tablesaw. Adds mass and table surface to both tools. Milwaukee 5625 has been running almost daily for years without issue. Many folks like their PC 7518's as well.