PDA

View Full Version : What do you pack when you are heading out to pick up...

Ruhi Arslan
10-15-2010, 9:42 AM
... a BS? It is a 500+ and already assembled to be loaded onto the back of my truck. I am considering to take with me some moving blankets, straps, some scrap wood, 2x4s, 1x3s to make braces, some tools, cordless drill and a furniture platform dolly. My intention is to bring it to the gate backwards and tip it over and slide forward on its square back. I don't want to take the table and the motor off unless I must. Any suggestions?

John Coloccia
10-15-2010, 9:44 AM
I always make it easy on myself. For about $50, I can rent a box truck with a lift gate for a couple of hours. Then all you need are some straps.

David Hostetler
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a friend with a lowboy trailer / ramp that I can borrow. Just wheel it up there, set up a paranoid amount of cargo straps, add some more cargo straps to be sure, make absolutely certain it can't move, and then drive like Grandma on her way to Sunday services... Stop after about 5-10 miles to recheck the tension on your straps. They can come loose!

If you can't borrow a lowboy, rent a box truck with a lift gate. They are cheaper than trashing your pickup.

Ryan Hellmer
10-15-2010, 11:37 AM
I always take a furniture dolly, it has handy tracks on the back of it to roll up/down stairs and a built in strap. Plus all contact surfaces are padded so it's pretty easy on the goods. That an a pair of ramps can handle most things. You can buy one at most industrial suppliers or Uhaul rents them pretty cheap. I've never used a lift-gate but I'm sure they're the bees knees. I do however make full use of a pallet jack or forklift if the seller has one.

Ryan

Myk Rian
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
... a BS? It is a 500+ and already assembled to be loaded onto the back of my truck. I am considering to take with me some moving blankets, straps, some scrap wood, 2x4s, 1x3s to make braces, some tools, cordless drill and a furniture platform dolly. My intention is to bring it to the gate backwards and tip it over and slide forward on its square back. I don't want to take the table and the motor off unless I must. Any suggestions?
At the least, take the table off.
2x4s and/or 4x4s come in handy.

Chris Nolin
10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't forget the woodscrews you'll need to assemble any braces you want to build. And a hand saw? Have fun! :)

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-15-2010, 12:16 PM
+1 on the low trailer and furniture dolly - that's what I use.

Also a tarp, in case of inclement weather.

Steve Peterson
10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I loaded a 450# bandsaw into a pickup bed by just tipping it backwards and sliding it on a moving blanket. A low trailer would have been easier though.

Steve

Chris Tsutsui
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I use a van to move machines but laying a sheet of melamine down and a movers blanket on top makes things very easy.

I suggest tilting the machine on its back when loading it. This will make unloading it easier as you can tilt it back so it will rest on its base.

I'm trying to remember if I removed the table from my bandsaw when I moved it, and I think I did to make the BS lighter.

Josiah Bartlett
10-15-2010, 1:06 PM
Straps and a socket wrench set in case I want to take something off.

When I bought my Walker Turner I ended up removing the table, motor, and upper wheel assembly to move it. Its a heavy beast, even the doors are cast iron.

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2010, 1:10 PM
Here's what I did: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34377

Beside the cradle I built beforehand I brought my cordless drill & circular saw and extra wood to make shims, a butt-load of extra screws, ratchets and wrenches, heavy-duty ziplocks for parts, tie-down straps, rubber bungees, lots of packing blankets, duct-tape, twine, a tarp in case it rained.

On the band saw I removed the motor and table - I didn't even think about it - and that made the whole move much easier. It reduced the weight appreciably and reduced the number of obstacles I had to consider and the number of sensitive parts I had to protect while moving the beast.

The one thing that I would do differently: I would have waited until I was on site to attach the cross-piece "feet" to the channels so I could be more selective about where the uprights ended up, but it worked out fine.

glenn bradley
10-15-2010, 2:20 PM
I rented a box truck as recommended earlier. Peace of mind and no injuries or damage for about $50? Sold.

Scott T Smith
10-15-2010, 2:36 PM
For transportation, I prefer to move equipment upright. Thus, I would bolt the bandsaw to a heavy pallet, and have it placed upright in the back of my truck or on a trailer.

It would then receive multiple straps from the midpoint (table level) to various points in the bed, including wrapping the strap a full circle around the neck, table, etc, so as to prevent the BS from sliding within the strap.

One benefit of bolting to the pallet is that you're making the base much wider, which reduces the potential of tilting.

As far as removal is concerned, if the BS is 500 lbs and the heavy pallet is 30, four to six guys could slide it out of the truck and lower it to the ground. I would not try to tilt it out of the back of the truck (as in sliding down ramps) due to it being top heavy.

Cradle's, etc can also be built, as suggested by others, but this is the approach that I would take personally.

Renting a truck with a liftgate and a pallet jack would also be a good option.

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 3:17 PM
Most every item I would take has been covered except I would suggest a floor jack if you have one. A low profile floor jack is sometime worth its weight in gold, maybe just silver at todays prices, when moving machines. The last couple of machines I moved I bet the floor jack got used 30-40 times in the enire process.

Also heed the advice to stop after a few miles and retension the straps!

John Toigo
10-15-2010, 5:33 PM
I have a lot of friends who are very strong & not too brite..... They're handy.

Mike Heidrick
10-15-2010, 6:31 PM
Mine was ~800lbs - I had NO IDEA how heavy that was! Had only brought one buddy.

Wooden trailer, used a dolly to get it on the car hauler upright - trailer was at the lowest spot of drive to make the ramps as flat as possible
Blocked it in with 2X4s into trailer floor and 2X4s over its base so it would not move
Took the table off to protect trunions - count bolt revolutions.
4 Straps (10,000lb rated) one to each corner of trailer
Drove slow home
Wheeled it onto a pallet on Johnny's forks
Tractor unload into shop
Dolly and ramp off pallet
Replaced table

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/trailer.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/unload.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/band5.jpg

Steve Griffin
10-15-2010, 6:59 PM

I can see from your spelling why you have such friends;)

Not everyone is so lucky.

Will Overton
10-15-2010, 7:15 PM
Furniture glides work great on plywood, and even for short distances on concrete. We slid this down on motorcycle ramps with a piece of plywood on them.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/SawStop-1.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/SawStop-2.jpg

Ruhi Arslan
10-15-2010, 7:29 PM
... a lowboy trailer / ramp that I can borrow.... Stop after about 5-10 miles to recheck the tension on your straps. They can come loose!
If you can't borrow a lowboy, rent a box truck with a lift gate. They are cheaper than trashing your pickup.

Trailer or even a rental not good options due to the distance I need to travel. I've just replaced my 2007 with 2011 few weeks ago therefore I am sure I will be extra cautious not to wreck my truck.

I always take a furniture dolly, ...

Done.

At the least, take the table off.

Will do.

Don't forget the woodscrews you'll need to assemble any braces you want to build. And a hand saw? Have fun! :)

Saw... forgot about. Duhh!

Also a tarp, in case of inclement weather.

Couple of tarps. Going to drive through weather.

I loaded a 450# bandsaw into a pickup bed by just tipping it backwards and sliding it on a moving blanket.

I use a van to move machines but laying a sheet of melamine down and a movers blanket on top makes things very easy.
I suggest tilting the machine on its back when loading it. This will make unloading it easier as you can tilt it back so it will rest on its base.

That's the plan.

Straps and a socket wrench set in case I want to take something off.

Ten ratcheting straps would do I guess. All the tools I can think of are in the toolbox.

...cordless drill & circular saw and extra wood to make shims, a butt-load of extra screws, ratchets and wrenches, heavy-duty ziplocks for parts, tie-down straps, rubber bungees, lots of packing blankets, duct-tape, twine, a tarp in case it rained.

Cordless circular saw, ziplocks and zipties are added.

Most every item I would take has been covered except I would suggest a floor jack if you have one. ...
Also heed the advice to stop after a few miles and retension the straps!

Don't have one but will recheck the straps shorthly after and often. It is going to be long drive.

I don't have any "brite" friends either. :D

Took the table off to protect trunions - count bolt revolutions.

Wheeled it onto a pallet on Johnny's forks
Tractor unload into shop

I am not sure what you mean by counting the bolt revolutions. I will do so anyway when I take the table off. I've downloaded the user's manual but doesn't say anything about the bolt revolutions.

Johnny is available this weekend? :) Would be nice to have a tractor too instead of Johnny... My only help is going to be the seller hopefully.

Thanks for all the hints. Hope this thread will turn into a pre-gloat. ;)

Stephen Cherry
10-15-2010, 8:19 PM
Get a sheet of 4x8 cheap plywood, and a few 4x4's (maybe 4) and build a pallet 4' by 8' using screws (don't skimp). This should fit in the bed of the truck without any moving around, and provide a wide base.

Place the pallet upright against the back of the machine. If you want, use a moving blanket, but nothing thick. Strap the pallet to the machine with locking straps.

With the truck backed up to the pallet, Use a comealong, (one of the small ones with wire rope and pully) and attatch the pully to the machine, the end of the wire to one side of the fromt of truck bed, and the comealong to the other side. Start cranking, and the machine will tilt over into the bed. You may need to move the truck forwards a little once it's tilted, depending on how high the machine is.

once slid into the bed of the truck, close the bed, stop for snacks, and you are on the road. No need to look backwards because the saw is low, and stable on the pallet.

That's how I did it, no problems.

Dave MacArthur
10-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I just moved a 20" Agazzani in the bed of my pickup, and posted some notes on how to do it, it was IMO the best way to do so by far:

Van, I just picked up my 20" Agazzani in a... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1512836&highlight=pickup+moving+diagonal#post1512836)
^^^This thread I also drew a picture of how I blocked the saw into the pickup bed.

and another thread:
I posted a thread on moving my 20" Agazzani home,... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1491955&highlight=moving+bandsaw+pickup#post1491955)

Worth a read, I listed all the tools I needed to bring and use to get the saw into the pickup, anchored down in place, home, and into garage.

Good luck!

Chip Lindley
10-16-2010, 12:19 AM
....If you can't borrow a lowboy, rent a box truck with a lift gate. They are cheaper than trashing your pickup.

I am wayy too cheap to spend good money on a rental truck. I bought my GMC truck to use! I cannot visualize trashing the pickup bed unless something not tied down is free to slide around. Slick plastic bed liners earn their keep. They protect the bed AND things slide very nicely. Heavy-duty tie-downs are a MUST! Don't skimp on the amount or size of your tie-down straps. Forget the little orange bargains. Go for the heavy-duty, wide yellow ratchet straps! A minimum of two, but 3 or 4 would be better--just in case!

Strategy in moving machinery depends on the size of the machine. I borrowed a friends 16-foot, two-axle trailer to move a PM66, Delta DJ20 jointer and Oneida DC system in one trip! A big Woodmaster 38" sander was loaded into my pickup with a forklift and unloaded with a tractor bucket. Lucky me! The 2-axle trailer was called upon again to haul a ShopFox 20" Planer, since manpower only was available to push the planer up a long ramp. Every move depends on it's own set of circumstances.

I have tipped TSs, RASs, shapers, bandsaws, drill presses, lesser planers and drum sanders up onto a sheet of plywood, onto the tailgate, and slid them right into the pickup bed. (sometimes with help; sometimes alone) A 2-wheeler dolly helps move heavy items further, faster.

Bring your toolbox with socket set, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, rechargable drill/driver, duct tape and a tarp just in case.

Bring extra cash or credit card if not alone! Good help will return again when well-fed!

Kim Gibbens
10-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Kinda like this

Chris Parks
10-16-2010, 5:57 AM
I bought a thicknesser and six months later decided I had left it long enough and better go and pick it up. Me and my son drove about 250 miles with a small box trailer and took some rope to tie it on and a few blocks of timber so we were well prepared. I knew it was old and it was going to be a bit heavy but when we saw it son says he is going home as there is no way we were going to get it on the trailer as the damned thing was solid cast iron and bloody heavy and I said there was no way we were leaving without it. We set to work and borrowed some tools and removed the motor and all the guards. To give you an idea the motor has a lifting eye on it and we later used a chain block to re-install it as there was no other way to support the weight.

We backed the trailer up and lucky we had taken rope instead of straps. I set up a winch using the ropes and nothing else and using the rope and a few lengths of timber we dragged it into the trailer but there was absolutely no way to stand it up. We used a chain block to get it off at home and I had to refill the gearbox and drive case as all the all had leaked out on the way home. Never be totally prepared, it takes all the fun out of it.

Ben Martin
10-16-2010, 7:46 AM
Kinda like this

LOOK AT THAT CARPET!!!! :eek::eek::eek: :D

Ruhi Arslan
10-17-2010, 1:30 PM
Ended up with good help and tipped the Laguna 16HD :D on its spine over a plywood and moving blanket with ease. Strapped as much as I can. It's pretty secure heading home. It would have been nice if my brand new truck with 1500 miles on it wasn't side swiped from rear bumper to front door by another truck when they failed to stop at the intersection behind me.

Kim Gibbens
10-17-2010, 1:54 PM
LOOK AT THAT CARPET!!!! :eek::eek::eek: :D
Well, it was free and brand new, I knew I could find a use for it. And it worked well. No new scratches on the Agazzani B20.

Bummer to hear about your new truck getting crunched. I hope they were insured and issued a citation.