PDA

View Full Version : 100 PC router bit set from Sears, is it worth it??

Duane Bledsoe
10-15-2010, 7:33 AM
There is a 100 piece router bit set from Sears.com that is priced at $109.00, made by a company called Eastern Steel. The description says they are grade 6 -7, have high shearing angles, and an HRA hardness of 90. I don't know what any of that means, but I really appreciate it if someone would take a look at this link and let me know if these are decent or are junk. Thank you.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SP100A865S1685876703P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Remember, I'm just getting into woodworking. I plan to be making wall hanging shelves and other small decorative things to start out with but eventually would like to get into some furniture making.

Will Overton
10-15-2010, 7:43 AM
They could be worth it if you like to experiment. Most woodworkers I know, myself included, tend to use the same style/profile router bits over and over. For that reason we buy high quality bits. We sometimes shy away from trying something new, not wanting to spend $30+ to try something.

This set can give you the freedom to try different profiles for a buck a piece. Once you see which ones you will use, replace them with a quality bit. You will probably find that most of the just gather dust.

Dave Gaul
10-15-2010, 8:40 AM
If you can't afford to buy better now, I say go for it. Whiteside and Infinity Tools both make affordable "starter kits", check them out and decide for yourself.. you won't get 100 bits for that price, but you have have top quality bits to start with...

I started with a Harbor Freight/Lifetime Cardbide set, about 50 bits for $75 I think... they seemed great at first, but they wore quickly. I've been replacing them with Whiteside's, CMT's, Freud's, Infinity's, Eagle America's and so on... I now have an addiction to router bits!

del schisler
10-15-2010, 9:08 AM
There is a 100 piece router bit set from Sears.com that is priced at $109.00, made by a company called Eastern Steel. The description says they are grade 6 -7, have high shearing angles, and an HRA hardness of 90. I don't know what any of that means, but I really appreciate it if someone would take a look at this link and let me know if these are decent or are junk. Thank you.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SP100A865S1685876703P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Remember, I'm just getting into woodworking. I plan to be making wall hanging shelves and other small decorative things to start out with but eventually would like to get into some furniture making.

You will probly only ending up using 5 or so . And the other will not be used. I myself wouldn't buy them even if they are a good deal. Why spend that money for like i said you are only going to use a few. ?? Thank what you are going to do . Do a round over with profile? ok get the 2 size's that you will use . than maybe a upcut spiral bit and maybe a down spiral. A flush trim bit? No dovetale yet. You don't know which jig you will get if you do those at all?? So take a min and thank what i will be doing . good luck

Rich Engelhardt
10-15-2010, 9:10 AM
100 PC router bit set from Sears, is it worth it??

Actually - that set is from Heartland America.
I'm not sure what the link is between Sears and Heartland.

I've looked through Heartland catalogs before and while they offer some neat bunion pads, nose hair trimmers and doggie jackets for little spoiled dogs,,,,,tools are way down on the list of things I'd buy from them.

Eagle America, Holbren and MLCS all offer decent to good starter sets.

I started out with a Ryobi assortment - maybe 50? - I bought a few years ago.
I've only used a few of them.

Jerome Hanby
10-15-2010, 9:31 AM
Actually - that set is from Heartland America.
I'm not sure what the link is between Sears and Heartland.

I think Sears is trying to implement some of Amazon's business plan. I've noticed several "external" sellers on their website. Not sure it's as great an idea for a company with brick and mortar presence. If I look at their website then I'm thinking about walking into a store and buying immediately. If I am going to order online, Sears is waaaaay down my list of sources.

Randall Clark
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Rich,
Really like the scoop on whether those nose hair trimmers are workin' for ya. Of course, as always, no pictures = didn't happen. Are they quiet enough to work on someone who is asleep?

Paul Johnstone
10-15-2010, 10:26 AM

I think these cheap sets are a waste of money.
Figure out the bits you need for your first project, and use the $100 to buy that.

If you like roundovers, maybe get a set of 3-4 bits with different radius.
Likewise if you like cove or ogee edge treatments, a set of those might be worthwhile too. A set of 3-4 straight bits might be a good idea also..
Hartville Tool is having a Whiteside sale now. You need to call them to get the discount, but I think that's a better direction to go..

Bill Huber
10-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I say buy the bits you need when you need them and get good ones when you do.
I did buy a set many years ago and like other I have used 2 from that set and they were not that good, now they are in the junk box.

I like Eagle America they have good bits and if there is a problem they take care if it.

Jeff Monson
10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I too bought a cheap set to start with, it got me buy for awhile and I built quite a few projects with them. As my skills and projects evolved I wanted better bits and bought them as needed. I still have my original "skill brand" set, but they never see a collet nowdays. You will quickly see the difference in quality after using both lower and higher grade bits. Do what you feel is best for you, you have gotten alot of good advice.

Neil Brooks
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I think these cheap sets are a waste of money.

Figure out the bits you need for your first project, and use the $100 to buy that.

My take is slightly different.

If you DO spend the $100 on the "everything set," then ... in pretty short order ... you'll KNOW what seven or ten or 20 bits you really DO use.

THEN, you should buy GOOD versions of those seven or ten or 20 bits.

Is that a 'waste' of a hundred bucks, then ?

I don't personally think so, but ... that's a pretty individual decision.

You can easily find lists, on the 'net, of what router bits you should really buy first, and ... that's great ... if you represent the "average woodworker."

Good luck !

Greg Scull
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I bought a similar set a while ago from Amazon, its a 50 piece but they also make an 80 piece 1/2 shank.

http://goo.gl/Y4p9 (http://goo.gl/Y4p9)

I knew buying them that they weren’t going to be the best bits out there, far from it. However I have used probably 10 of them and even beat them up with MDF for a while and they have held up fine.

When I got them I had a project I was starting that needed 6 different bits, I figured what is the next project going to need, and bought it figuring once I burned up the bits I need ill know what I need and buy a quality replacement.

I’ve used this set to make cabinet doors that match my existing profile with 0 issues.

Now its time for me to get some good spiral bits and I really really want to buy a good templating bit since I seem to be doing more and more of that on the table, but would rather do it freehand.

That was my rationale for buying cheap tools ..... but don’t take my word for it I also buy stuff from HF, and CL and don’t own anything with bright green on it.

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 2:16 PM
My take is slightly different.

If you DO spend the $100 on the "everything set," then ... in pretty short order ... you'll KNOW what seven or ten or 20 bits you really DO use.

THEN, you should buy GOOD versions of those seven or ten or 20 bits.

Is that a 'waste' of a hundred bucks, then ?

I don't personally think so, but ... that's a pretty individual decision.

You can easily find lists, on the 'net, of what router bits you should really buy first, and ... that's great ... if you represent the "average woodworker."

Good luck !

This is my opinion as well. But, I would suggest a smaller 40-50 piece set, the huge sets tend to have so many bits that one would NEVER use they don't seem worth the extra few dollars.

Darius Ferlas
10-15-2010, 2:26 PM
It all boils down to about $0.90 per bit, or as much as a sheet of good quality sand paper will cost.

The set sports a fair number of straight bits with and without bearings. There seem to be included also various sizes of dove-tail bits, roundovers etc. I'd consider this set a good deal.

glenn bradley
10-15-2010, 2:27 PM
I buy bits as I need them and can't imagine ever needing that wide a variety of 1/4" shank bits. I use 1/4" only in the Bosch Colt or when the profile demands it (like dovetails or deep narrow cutters). I guess the standard rule would apply; what do you get when you buy a whole set of something for the price of one or two good ones?

Jim Rimmer
10-15-2010, 2:31 PM
I vote with the group that says don't buy it. Spend your money buying fewer bits of higher qulaity when you need them. You might start with a few basics:
pattern trimming bit
roundovers of a couple of different radii
1/4" and 1/2" spiral upcuts (maybe too much $ for both until you need them)
rabbet bit
an edge forming bit or two of a design you like

Others may have more ideas for the starter bits.

Kevin Gregoire
10-15-2010, 2:37 PM
you could possibly get those bits cheaper yet from sears....
maybe ask if they would honor the HF 20% coupon

or sign up for a sears credit card, even if you dont qualify for the card
they give you like 10-20% off a one time purchase for signing up

Duane Bledsoe
10-16-2010, 5:46 AM
Thanks guys. After looking around just a bit I found a few links that let me look at this set more closely and I can see that less than 20 of them would actually be of any use to me so I have decided against it.

I do think that I need a good "starter" set though so I am looking at a set of Skil brand bits from Lowe's. For my uses these will probably be fine and if I see that I need certain profiles of higher quality then I'll just invest in those in better branded bits later.

Duane Bledsoe
10-16-2010, 5:54 AM
I bought a similar set a while ago from Amazon, its a 50 piece but they also make an 80 piece 1/2 shank.

http://goo.gl/Y4p9 (http://goo.gl/Y4p9)

I knew buying them that they weren’t going to be the best bits out there, far from it. However I have used probably 10 of them and even beat them up with MDF for a while and they have held up fine.

When I got them I had a project I was starting that needed 6 different bits, I figured what is the next project going to need, and bought it figuring once I burned up the bits I need ill know what I need and buy a quality replacement.

I’ve used this set to make cabinet doors that match my existing profile with 0 issues.

Now its time for me to get some good spiral bits and I really really want to buy a good templating bit since I seem to be doing more and more of that on the table, but would rather do it freehand.

That was my rationale for buying cheap tools ..... but don’t take my word for it I also buy stuff from HF, and CL and don’t own anything with bright green on it.

This reply seems to state that using MDF with bits is hard on them or "beating them up". Does that mean that cutting MDF with router bits is harder on them than cutting wood?? I noticed just recently using a very cheap bit on MDF that it failed almost immediately. I was trying to route a dado cut 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide. I fed the material in super slowly, literally it was only 7" long and moving at a rate that would have taken a full minute to complete a cut that long. It fried in the first inch of progress. A second bit from the set also did the same thing. I figured it was the quality of the bit. High speed steel, no carbide cutters, very cheap but came with the router I got used so I figured I'd try them anyway.

scott spencer
10-16-2010, 7:18 AM
I wouldn't do it. The 1/4" shanks alone would rule out spending $100 on router bits. The unknown quality is a deal breaker to me....there are too many other well proven choices at that price point, even if you get fewer bits. If your router only accepts 1/4" shanks, I'd spend $40 on a 15 piece MLCS set...you'll pretty much get one of each of the most common profiles. If your router accepts 1/2" shanks, by all means, buy good 1/2" shank bits.

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2010, 7:34 AM
Rich,
Really like the scoop on whether those nose hair trimmers are workin' for ya. Of course, as always, no pictures = didn't happen. Are they quiet enough to work on someone who is asleep?

Nah - no pics - it was ugly...
I mixed up the nose hair trimmer with an Ogee bit in the PC 690 and tore up the booger vault pretty bad..

The screaming was also enough to wake the neighbor 6 doors down, so, quiet they ain't.

:D

Bob Carreiro
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I've bought sets here and there, and what most tell you is true... you'll only use a small portion of them. However, you'll also will better understand which are (more) useful, and which are not.

If you'd like a set to get started with, for fun and experimentation, buy a smaller set (I saw one for $39 on the Heartland site posted in the link you listed).

If you do select a set, it would be best to buy 1/2" shafts (if your router accepts them). They're much stoughter shaft & overall weight translates into smoother cuts & less vibration.

Years from now when your more experienced, this 39 or even 100 dollars you spend now isn't going to mean anything then.

Have fun woodworking!
Bob

Greg Scull
10-16-2010, 3:24 PM
This reply seems to state that using MDF with bits is hard on them or "beating them up". Does that mean that cutting MDF with router bits is harder on them than cutting wood?? I noticed just recently using a very cheap bit on MDF that it failed almost immediately. I was trying to route a dado cut 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide. I fed the material in super slowly, literally it was only 7" long and moving at a rate that would have taken a full minute to complete a cut that long. It fried in the first inch of progress. A second bit from the set also did the same thing. I figured it was the quality of the bit. High speed steel, no carbide cutters, very cheap but came with the router I got used so I figured I'd try them anyway.

I don't know the official answer but I have read here a lot that MDF is hard on tools. That said, Every time I say I wont buy any more MDF I come home with another sheet or two.