PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Shelf Help

Mark Vago
10-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Hello! I am planning on building a floating fireplace shelf, per the attached (hopefully you can see it).
The shelf will be 8' x 1' (at the front) x ~6". As you can see, it will wrap around the drywall box by about 4" or so.
I was planning on building using a torsion assembly, but I'm thinking that with only 12" wide, may not be necessary
The shelf will be floating
I have a few questions, if I may. Is it worth assembling using the torsion technique? And second, how can I attach? I was thinking of a cleat at the front, and attaching using screws at the sides (i.e. where it wraps around the frame) to keep the shelf from rotating off of the front cleat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Larry Rasmussen
10-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi Mark,

I think it should be a good install as planned if you have a few studs across the front for the cleats. I'm not really sure about the dimensions the way you have them listed but even the lightest version in solid wood would be suprisingly heavy. Help us picture it a little better by clarifying the size of the shelf, what material and finish are being used and what weight it is expected to support.

Regards,
Larry R
Seattle

Mark Vago
10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Larry -

Thank you. Just to clarify your questions, the shelf will be 8 feet wide by 1 foot deep and approx 6 inches thick. I don't think I will have any issues with mounting the cleat. I plan on using paint grade maple ply (3/4 is all the BORG had) for the skin, painted black.

I don't think it is required to support a lot of weight (i.e. no one will be sitting on it), and is more for looks. However, would be nice to at least be able to use for decor types of things....

Mark

Terry Crump
10-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Mark,
Keep in mind that even though it will not be made for sitting on, people MIGHT sit on it anyway.
Also, you should keep in mind any building codes and make sure your shelf is at least the minimum distance from the firebox that's recommended. Even though it may not be subject to inspection right now, it MAY be an issue when you would like to sell the house.