PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum press or vacuum bag?

brett gallmeyer
10-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I bought a 2 stage vacuum pump a little while back and I'm trying to figure out which way i want to proceed.

I think i've read every page at www.joewoodworker.com (http://www.joewoodworker.com)
I cant decide if i would rather go with a bag setup

http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Vacuum__Press__Items/Vacuum__Bags/

or make a press.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuum-frame-press.htm

Jamie Buxton
10-15-2010, 12:01 AM
An advantage of the bag approach is that it stores rather easily. You just roll it up and stash it. A top-loader eats lots of room when you're not using it.

Frank Drew
10-15-2010, 12:17 AM
The press looks kind of cool, but I've never used one. I agree with Jamie, though, that bags are such little trouble to deal with compared to the extraordinary work they can do; they make entry into the world of quality veneering so easy.

Jerome Hanby
10-15-2010, 9:51 AM
I've never used a press, but I have that little bag kit with the hand pump (think it was originally used for skateboards) and I've had good luck with it!

ian maybury
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
No veneering experience, but here's a thought in favour of a press.

Presumably it offers a flat surface on to which the work piece is sucked down - which could be important if you are laminating thinnish materials which need to be flat, but which are not rigid enough to hold themselves straight.

Placing the part on or between platens/boards in a bag if needed may well go most of the way to delivering this....

ian

Jeff Monson
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd go with a bag setup, as stated they are quickly stored and dont take up much room. I have a robinair compressor and a bag from joe woodworker, its a great combo.

Brian Tymchak
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Brett,

Can't help you on your decision, but thanks for the link to joewoodworker.com. Lots of good info there that'll keep me busy over a few lunch hours.

Thanks!
Brian

Brad Shipton
10-15-2010, 2:42 PM
Two questions: Do you have the space? and do you only plan to complete flat projects? My bag is setup permanently in a table, and it takes up a lot of space. The benefit of the frame is the speed to load/unload. It can be a bit of a pain to stuff a large project in a bag and the frame setup can be a big help if you are limited on space.

Brad

Josiah Bartlett
10-15-2010, 3:56 PM
If you need a flat surface, you can still use a bag. Just cut shallow grooves in a piece of flat MDF or plywood and stick it inside the bag under your piece. The grooves let the air flow happen. Maybe chamfer the edges of the flat piece to keep from tearing the bag.

Chris Padilla
10-15-2010, 4:11 PM
This is mostly a flat vs. non-flat question. Flat can use either one but non-flat, round, curves...you need the bag.

Thomas S Stockton
10-15-2010, 4:56 PM
I'm pretty confident at building most anything, I tried to build a frame press using those plans and it was a complete disaster. If you want to build one try to find one made by vacuum pressing systems and copy how they seal it and it would work better.
My advice get a bag.
Tom

Joe Gorleski
10-15-2010, 5:30 PM
The frame press idea on my site was something that I wasnt sure that I really wanted to publish. The benefit is the relative ease of use in loading the project. Sometimes loading an unruly project into a vacuum bag can be a pain in the butt and the frame press eliminates this. The trade off is that the frame must be built solidly to hold vacuum and even so, it will still leak more than any vacuum bag.

I've not heard from anyone with a monsterous amount of trouble building a frame press but I do know its biggest caveat is the potential for leaks. With a well-built frame press and adequate vacuum source, the frame press is great for production-type runs. I know a few people who use sets of smaller frame presses to mass produce parts for jewelry boxes, humidors, and automotive dash parts.

Cheers,
Joe

eugene thomas
10-15-2010, 8:59 PM
think bag or press might depend on how much going to use it and all that. I built vacume press few months ago and still in corner collecting dust. bought bag so when not using can just rool up an put in the box and store on shelf.

Jim Becker
10-16-2010, 9:31 PM
So far, the bag has worked well for me...and Joe's vacuum bags are very nice.