PDA

View Full Version : A jewelry die I chiseled

george wilson
10-14-2010, 9:01 PM
Well,actually,I chiseled out the punches to stamp the flowers. This is a hardened 01 steel die that I made in order to make a retirement gift for a long time secretary at Williamsburg. She was the purchasing secretary,and I felt that I had caused her a lot of work over the years!!! Eventually we got issued our own credit cards in the last few years.

I asked her what she wanted for retirement,and she said a heart brooch and matching earrings. I doubt she knew what she would be getting beyond something plain,though!!

I had made a 50 ton press out of a bottle jack that could squeeze gold or silver into this die.

The die is about 1" in diameter. Notice that the little holes become larger,then smaller as they go around the perimeter.

For scale,the "Wilson" stamp is a jeweler's standard size name stamp,about 1/40" high. I did not make that stamp. They can be bought for about $75.00.

I also made the earrings by pressing 22 karat gold into the central portion of the die,and sawing just around the outside of the holes.

The heart was also 22 karat gold. I made an additional forming die of brass,shaped into an inflated heart. The flat pressed heart was "inflated" by putting the brass forming tool behind the heart,and pressing the finished heart face down into a block of nylon,to keep from hurting the design work..

Generally,the way I do this sort of work is to make hardened steel punches with the flowers cut into their ends,and punch them into the annealed 01. It gives beautiful results,as the polished punches transfer their polished surfaces into the die.

Drilling all those little holes in exact line was a tricky part. Stamping the heart with the flowers wasn't too difficult,because I knew the punches were perfect before I ever stamped them into the die.

The recipient's initials were hand engraved into the blank area in the center of the heart,and into the earrings.

I have not made pictures of the punches,nor have I scanned a picture of the gold jewelry,but will do so at some point.

This is not wood work,but,like the flintlock pistol,it is Neanderthal hand work.

The "sunken" area around the heart is from proof testing the die with silver before it was hardened. It hurt nothing because the areas just beyond the dots was sawn out and filed smooth. I usually use pewter,but that day had none on hand. 50 tons pressed the steel harder than I realized it would!!

You can also see a few Rockwell hardness diamond test punches on the die.

P.S.: I added a second picture for better scale.

David Weaver
10-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I would imagine the product of that stamp meant a lot to the person who got it.

People give gifts for retirement, etc, all the time, but it's pretty rare that someone makesyou something that few people have the skill to do, just on a request, the way you have done, George.

How do you get all of the holes drilled that perfectly on something that small without a bit ever wandering. Do you draw marks first and then hit them with an optical center punch to get everything started?

george wilson
10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I just punched them by eye wearing my 4X reading glasses,then drilled them.

It was a bit of work for a retirement gift,but I needed something extra nice to do from the usual every day toolmaking,and the secretary had done a lot of ordering for me over many years. More than any of the 3 museum presidents that I had made gifts for had done.:) Hers was better than theirs!

The die has seen quite a few hearts pressed out of silver since its initial use. I think Jon made a heart for just about every female in his family!! I've made a few,too!!

You can see it's getting a tiny bit worn from the rounded edges of a few holes. Everything shows up so big in a magnified photo. It looks fine in actual size.

Jim Koepke
10-15-2010, 3:44 AM
Thanks for sharing more of your work. it is amazing all the skills you have been able to spread over a few disciplines.
You could have been a die sinker as a profession, but that would have been limiting.

jtk

george wilson
10-15-2010, 8:32 AM
The little scratches around the perimeter OUTSIDE the outer row of holes,is from prying the coined pieces of silver or gold from this die. They really get locked into the die when they are squeezed into it. I always have to take a knife blade or chisel and pop the coined hearts loose after pressing.

The flowers and acanthus leaves cannot be undercut. I think the silver/gold must spread sideways into their cavities under terrific pressure as it is forced down. This locks the soft metal into place.

Perhaps the metal gets locked into the little,cross hatched 17th.C. Dutch style centers in the flowers.

Phil Thien
10-15-2010, 9:14 AM
Outstanding. I would really like seeing the resulting jewelry...

george wilson
10-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Bump up to be near the jewelry post.

Johnny Kleso
10-16-2010, 12:16 AM
George,
How many hours do you think that took you?
I'm guessing the basket weave is punched?
The lines are nice and straight..
Very nice job and gift..

george wilson
10-16-2010, 9:16 AM
I don't really know,Johnny. I took some time off from work to do it,and was pretty fouled up on the first one I made. I made 3 dimensional flowers,and stamped the flowers MUCH too deep. The results were ridiculous looking. There was a certain class of jewelry made to look that way,but not what I had intended. I went back and made FLATTER flowers and drilled all those holes again,re stamping everything.

I think I was at it for 2 weeks,but it should have been half that.