PDA

View Full Version : Palmgren Drum sander?

keith micinski
10-14-2010, 8:12 PM
This came up on Craigslist and I am tried of waiting for a Performax to come up. If I could get this for 450 would it be worth it? I can't find much information on this company at all. The only thing I found was a guy selling one on Ebay for 890. It just looks like something Harbor freight would sell to me and I have no explanation for that.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/2005770592.html

keith micinski
10-14-2010, 8:23 PM
It looks like they manufactured this and sold it through Sears but they no longer make it.

Ben Martin
10-14-2010, 8:28 PM
This guy is always selling knock off/re badged Taiwanese tools on there. I have seen a couple Jet and Performax's posted in the last couple of days for that same kind of money. I would spend my money elsewhere (but that is just going by name...) and no knowledge of the tools.

Bruce Page
10-14-2010, 8:47 PM
I don’t know if they’ve changed but Palmgren used to be a pretty good name. If I were in the market for a inexpensive DS I think it would be worth a look.

Lance Norris
10-14-2010, 9:13 PM
Its the same as the Grizzly G0458. Sears had a version also. There was just a thread recently on this same machine and if I remember correctly, it got good comments. I know nothing about it, but I do have a Palmgren benchtop jointer(retired) and its built like a tank. It weighs about 130 lbs and is a quality machine. I think for $450, the drum sander is worth a look.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-Open-End-Drum-Sander/G0458

keith micinski
10-14-2010, 9:18 PM
Ben I check Chicago's cragslist everyday looking for a drum sander and haven't seen one in a month. If you come across one on there shoot me a PM please.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 9:22 PM
As Lance said it looks like a Delta/Grizzly clone. I prefer the Jet/Performax version marginally. I would want to verify that it worked well, he may be shy about doing that with a new machine.

george wilson
10-14-2010, 9:26 PM
I do not see a decent dust hood on that machine. I like my Delta just fine. Its dust hood is the most efficient I have seen on a sander. hardly anything escapes it.

keith micinski
10-14-2010, 9:31 PM
as little as I would use the thing it would probably be fine for me but I am leaning towards waiting and finding a performax. it does look like an exact copy of the Grizzly design though.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 9:40 PM
as little as I would use the thing it would probably be fine for me but I am leaning towards waiting and finding a performax. it does look like an exact copy of the Grizzly design though.

It makes me grin when people talk about someone copying Grizzly. How long before we forget and start calling 14" cast bandsaws Grizzly clones? :D

Callan Campbell
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
This guy is always selling knock off/re badged Taiwanese tools on there. I have seen a couple Jet and Performax's posted in the last couple of days for that same kind of money. I would spend my money elsewhere (but that is just going by name...) and no knowledge of the tools.
I've seen this ad, and his others. I always wonder where he's getting these apparently new machines. Some one's closeouts or overstocks? Anyway, I thought about the sander too, and wondered if the paper retainers or clips are as hard to work as the Ryobi's that use to be sold a few years back. Plus, I don't really need ANOTHER power tool in my basement right now:p:p:p

keith micinski
10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Good point. I like my Grizzly clone stuff so far though.

Nathan Allen
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Not THAT bad of a drive:
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/1978945289.html

There's also a Ryobi up in Rockford, but it's listing at $400, which is about $100-$150 high in my opinion.

John Hubbs
06-07-2016, 2:06 PM
Keith,
There is one listed on CL in Plainfield Indiana right now if you are still looking. I am considering it, but will most likely just wish instead of actually getting it.
Regards, John.

Wade Lippman
06-07-2016, 10:08 PM
His post was 6 years ago; he probably has bought something by now.