PDA

View Full Version : Changing from PC to Mac

Jay Jolliffe
10-14-2010, 5:19 PM
Is there a way to export the bookmarks that I have on the PC in Firefox to the new Mac I have that also has Firefox. I'm able to get them from the PC to the Mac but I can't get them into Firefox. I'm new to the Mac so it might be simple but right now I don't see how. Any help would be appreciated....

Eric DeSilva
10-14-2010, 5:39 PM
Is there a way to export the bookmarks that I have on the PC in Firefox to the new Mac I have that also has Firefox. I'm able to get them from the PC to the Mac but I can't get them into Firefox. I'm new to the Mac so it might be simple but right now I don't see how. Any help would be appreciated....

Look for an add-on called firefox sync. It is a Mozilla add-on.

Jeff Heil
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I am interested on how the transition has went for you. As along time PC user, and current iphone and ipad owner, my next laptop will be a mac. If you have an ipod/iphone/ipad you can also use that to sync your bookmarks from old to new.

John A. Callaway
10-15-2010, 10:01 AM
there is a way you can email yourself all your bookmarks to yourself and them import them into any computer... do a google search.... It should come up on the mozilla site.

Congratulations on finally making the switch. you will love it.

Jay Jolliffe
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. My wife has a Mac & I had to use it when mine needed to be repaired..I liked it.One of the things I will miss is being able to right click to do various commands, like deleting & sending files & photos to e-mail. I'll get over it & figure it out. I lease the PC I have now & I'm turning it back in. I want to wipe the hard drive so there is not private stuff on it, like banking & credit card stuff. I'm debating on buying a new HD & installing the operating system. Is there anyway to wipe it clean so I don't have to buy a new HD. I will never rent from Dell again. This is my third 3 yr lease, never again. Their really dishonest...They screwed me by adding a year to my lease without me knowing it. I have the original that says 3 yrs & they didn't care. The one they had said 4.....So instead of me sending it back at 3 yrs I did the extra one so they wouldn't screw up my credit.

Darius Ferlas
10-15-2010, 1:39 PM
I will never rent from Dell again. This is my third 3 yr lease, never again. Their really dishonest...They screwed me by adding a year to my lease without me knowing it. I have the original that says 3 yrs & they didn't care. The one they had said 4.....
I had a somewhat similar (not identical) experience leasing from Dell a few years ago. But I managed not to confuse Dell's accounting department with the product Dell sells. I bought a few dozen Dell machines since.

Jay Jolliffe
10-15-2010, 2:00 PM
Your right Darius. The computers I've had from them & their repair service have been pretty good. Just the leasing department needs help.......

Mike Zilis
10-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Sorry, couldn't resist the cliche.

I've made my living in the computer industry all of my adult life. In 2008 I switched over to Macs (desktop, laptop, etc.) and I've never regretted it for a moment.

Moving bookmarks over from IE on Windows to Safari on a Mac only takes a couple of minutes using the export/import tool.

-Mike

Larry Dubia
10-16-2010, 1:20 AM
One of the things I will miss is being able to right click to do various commands, like deleting & sending files & photos to e-mail.

I have a Macbook Pro and use a wireless mouse with TWO buttons so i can utilize the right click option. I too got spoiled on a PC before coming to my senses.

Larry

Peter Stahl
10-16-2010, 1:26 AM
In firefox on the PC go to Bookmarks Menu at the top of the page, then click Organize Bookmarks... then click Import and Backup then Export HTML... Now remember where it created the Bookmarks.html file so you can copy it to backup drive or just email it to yourself. When you go into your mail on your Mac download it then you should be able to import it into Firefox. Never tried going between a PC and Mac but I've always saved my Bookmarks and emailed them to myself so I can use them on a different PC.

Graham Wintersgill
10-16-2010, 3:32 PM
Jay

There is a list of Mac keyboard shortcuts http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

Pressing control and the mouse button will give give you right mouse button functions.

Regarding your hard drive, I would by an new drive and a USB hard drive caddy. Swap the hard drives and put your old drive in the caddy so your old files are available for a while. Later you can use it for backups. I would not even bother putting an OS on the new drive unless your terms say it must have one.

Regards

Eric Franklin
10-17-2010, 9:19 AM
For right clicking on any of the notebook models made in the last 4-5 years, just put 2 fingers on the trackpad and click.

Richard Link
10-17-2010, 9:46 AM
On my 2 year old Macbook Pro, simply touch the right side of the trackpad for right mouse button functionality. Very simple and easy.

Richard

Jay Jolliffe
10-17-2010, 3:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I did find that out after going on line to a mac forum. Here I thought I was giving up the PC & had to learn to use the Mac. Well when I ordered the Mac it came with a program called Parallels Desktop. With this I can run Windows XP & the programs that i'm use to.....I'm impressed....I installed it, then installed XP & it work perfect....I wish I did this before I deleted some of the programs I had. So now I have the best of both worlds....:D