PDA

View Full Version : Time to build a baby safety gate. M&T or Half-Lap joint? What do you think?

Joshua Dinerstein
10-14-2010, 5:13 PM
OK it is more like way way past time to build a baby safety gate. I have a 19 month old daughter who is the light of my life. This last week or so my wife found said daughter on the baseplate of the railing on our stairs down to the basement, which is fully finished, on the stairs side. She had just sidled her way out onto it. Far enough out onto that 1" or so deep ledge that she was effectively about 9 feet in the air. Earning her the new nickname of the "Pink Ninja". That little girl will climb anything, push on anything, and try anything that crosses her devilishly clever mind. It has been enough to give my wife and I some serious grey hair.

So I started work on a baby safety gate. Basically I bought some poplar from MacBeath's hardwood and some turned poplar balusters on the bay. Now I love turning and thought about making them myself. But the thought of making 20 or so identical, at least enough so at 2" apart, balusters before the Ninja killed herself was just not in the cards.

I have a certain amount of the initial rough milling done on this stuff. What remains is the decision on what kind of a joint to use.

1- I was going to make a plunge router jig a-la Gary Rogowski style to cut some small mortises into each of the 4 pieces, 2 rails and 2 styles, to get a loose tenon in place in each corner with a nice smooth strong joint at each point. However it almost seems silly to construct such a jig to make 4 total mortises. Couple that with the fact that the side rails and styles are 2x2 (true measurement after my cutting) it left me with a pretty stubby little tenon that was not quite round but pretty close with the 1/2 mortising bit I wanted to use.

2- The alternative that I think isn't as pretty of a joint but would work and could be done just with my table saw as is was to use a half-lap joint? Some care in cutting the half-laps and it should be strong enough even when 27 pounds of frustrated ninja throws her weight against it.

But it left me thinking, I don't want to do just what is fastest, I really do want to do what is "best". Since I am almost exclusively a wood turner and this is really the first thing I will make with joints of any kind I wanted to see what you guys thought before I started the unrecoverable parts of this project. :)

Thanks!
Joshua

Neil Brooks
10-14-2010, 6:51 PM
a) "Pink Ninja." I love it :D

b) All things being equal ? I'd always give the nod to the M&T joint. Without even thinking about it (well ... if you have the grain orientations even half right), it's going to be very strong. Half-lap ... I'd probably want to add something (dowel, or otherwise) before I was as confident in IT as I would be in "any ol" M&T joint.

Either way ... hurry :)

Josh Rudolph
10-14-2010, 7:18 PM
Mortise and tenon all the way. When I used to work with Dad doing fence and gates, we always fought the racking game. I built one 2 years ago using M&T and the Leigh FMT jig. It is still in use today. In my opinion, the M&T really gives that extra needed security to mitigate racking. The weight of the gate will make the far unsupported end want to sag, introducing a rack. Unless you add a diagonal in for support, I think a lap joint will eventually fail.

Whichever way you go, good luck with the build and install.