PDA

View Full Version : Long Leaf Maple Burl HF

Josh Bowman
10-14-2010, 2:39 PM
The HF is about 5 1/2" tall and 5" wide. As you can see from the photo of the bottom....there was some indecision:rolleyes:, in that I didn't know which end of the burl should be up. After I roughed it out, I really wanted to capture the outside of the burl, so off it came and I screwed the other end to the chuck:p. At least no one can put water in it. I used the Monster hollowing system, but being this is open, you could really see the ridges inside, so after some advisement from a fellow creeker, I worked them down with the carbide scraper that Randy includes with the hollowing rig. I've grown to rely on my vacuum chuck, but for obvious reason had to take a different tact, so I was also advised to use a donut chuck to cut the tenon off the bottom. That being a first for me, I spent some time building and mounting the HF. All in all it worked very well. The finish is Forby's Tung oil and is still in progress. Tomorrow, I'll knock some of the gloss off.
Please critique, your critical comments are very helpful.
Thanks

David E Keller
10-14-2010, 2:44 PM
It's a nice looking piece... Too bad about the screw hole. I guess you could plug it if you wanted to.

John Keeton
10-14-2010, 3:25 PM
That looks like a perfect place for a silver dollar to be put on the inside, and a contrasting circular insert on the outside with a nice signature on it!

Nice work, Josh, and a beautiful piece of wood!

Josh Bowman
10-14-2010, 4:06 PM
..........and a beautiful piece of wood!

Should be.....you helped me pick it out.:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2010, 4:50 PM
Josh that is a pretty piece and the wood is really nice. If it were me and I had a scrap of that wood I would turn a plug and fill the hole.