PDA

View Full Version : Robust ?

Duff Bement
10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I just saw the videos on the Robust lathe.WOW!!!! Does anyone out have one or at least gotten to turn on one? Are they as cool as they seem in the video? If they are, I will be saving all my pennies for a Sweet 16. It appears to be a heck of a machine and AMERICAN MADE. :)

Jim Burr
10-14-2010, 1:35 PM
I was at a demo of a "16" Duff, but didn't get to try it out. That would literally be the only, last, never again, once-in-a-life-time lathe to own:D:D:D

Paul Douglass
10-14-2010, 1:40 PM
Far more lathe than I would ever need, but, oh my, what a beauty!

Grant Wilkinson
10-14-2010, 2:03 PM
I don't own one, but I've turned on Bill Grumbine's. It is a thing of beauty! It's rock stable, the magnetic control box is a great idea and the swing away tailstock feature really opens it up for bowls.

Now, all I need is lots of money. :-)

Tony De Masi
10-14-2010, 3:24 PM
I'm the same as Grant as I've only turned on Bill Grumbines. That was one sweet machine. Too much lathe? No. Lot's of money? You bet. The swing down mechanism for the tail stock is something I'm still saving for to use on my PM3520.

skott nielsen
10-14-2010, 3:29 PM
Oh yeah, I have the Beauty. I was advised to buy once and buy well and so I did. It has been a great decision that I have no regrets about. It is smooth, quiet, stable and precise. Used a Powermatic last week and felt completely hemmed in by the head stock where the Robust provides all kinds of room. I am a proponent of a global economy but I believe most of the imported eqiupment from Asia and China are second rate in the woodworking world. Robust is quality, precision, solid machining Also love not worring about the ways corroding.Good Luck

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-14-2010, 9:34 PM
I have spent several hundred hours turning on a Robust American Beauty. A lot of time turning 300 to 450 lb plus logs. All I can say is this is one impressive well built machine. Unfortunately it's not mine.:( However it belongs to a friend that lets me use it all the time.:D

Ted Evans
10-14-2010, 9:40 PM
Hey Joe, could you perhaps introduce me to your friend?:) I have never been fortunate enough to have one like that. The Robust would be at the very top of the list if money was no object. :( I envy your good fortune.

Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I turned for about 20 minutes on Chris Hartley's American Beauty while visiting in Houston.

It is indeed a well built machine.

Reed Gray
10-15-2010, 1:35 AM
I have had my Beauty for over 2 years now. A great lathe. I wanted the 3 hp, and not really the 25 inch swing. The Sweet 16 would be a great addition as well. They aren't cheap, they are at least as well made as a Oneway. I did get a bed extension, just in case. It will take every thing I can throw on to it. I was able to have Brent talk me through reprogramming the converter so minimum speed on the low range is about 10 rpm. Perfect for sanding my warped bowls. I also had the upper end speed ranges tweeked as well for a little more speed. I think the Sweet 16 has one speed range as that is all that is needed with the vector drive motors, which an electrical engineer or Brent could explain, but I can't. Only lathes that I know of where the legs are adjustable up and down. I had my PM up on 4 X 4s.

I am not doing much production turning now, and will try to be more 'artsy' in the future. Probably won't need the big lathe as much, and if I get rich, I will have a Sweet 16. Seems like my guitars are taking up more of my time. No, I am not any good, but I have a lot of fun.

robo hippy

Christopher K. Hartley
10-15-2010, 6:24 AM
Duff, I feel privileged to own a fully tricked out American Beauty 25. It is all they say it is and more. Also, Brent is one of the greatest helps you could imagine and he really does stand behind his machines. If you want to see one from the build up just do asearch for "Beauty is Born" here on the site.:)

Ken Whitney
10-15-2010, 8:06 AM
I too had my first Robust experience in Bill Grumbine's shop. I was set on buying a Mustard Monster but Bill convinced me otherwise.:)

I don't turn many 25" pieces (OK, none so far) on my American Beauty, but that capacity makes the lathe feel roomy. The swing-away tailstock is wonderful.

Ken

Jesse T. Young
10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I have had my Sweet 16 for about 6 months or more and it is all that Brent clams and more. I would like to do a lot of barging about my Robust but all the praising has been said, and it is all true.
Brent and his wife have been most wonderful to deal on the phone.
I would recommend a Robust to any and all.:D and I would be happy to show my Sweet 16 to any one in the Sacramento Ca.Area

Jesse (Terry) Young

David Handsman
10-15-2010, 3:26 PM
I have used a Robust and it is terrific. It is a very nice lathe, the swing away tailstock is great.

Glen J. Peterson
10-15-2010, 4:30 PM
I spent 3 days using the American Beauty and the Sweet Sixteen back in April. There were many great features. I liked the mobile power switch. I loved the sliding headstock which allows hollowing without leaning over the ways. I also loved the tool rests. Unfortunately, I decided that the cost was too much and bought the powermatic 3520. I then bought the Robust toolrest at the AAW Symposium, so I got 2 of the 3 features I liked best at around half the cost.

Cathy Schaewe
10-16-2010, 9:25 AM
I turned on one for a few hours .... amazing machine!

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2010, 2:56 PM
I know fellow Creeker and friend, Ed Sandle, has one and he keeps inviting me over to try out his lathe! I sure would like to do that but am really scared at how expensive that trip just might turn out to be!

Plus, Colleen keeps telling me that if I want one - then go get it! Maybe once I start selling my turnings...

Reed Gray
10-17-2010, 2:28 AM
Steve,
Going to visit Ed, would probably cost you more than winning a $20 gift certificate.

robo hippy

Duff Bement
10-17-2010, 7:01 AM
Thanks everybody for your comments. Looks like I had better start selling off some other toys that I don't use any more. This will probably have to wait until spring but that is ok.
It sure will be a change turning on a Sweet 16 instead of my 1950s Conover. What a jump! Going from a wooden bed to stainless steel.
Thanks again for all the help and, yes, There will be pictures when I get it.:D:D:D

David Woodruff
10-17-2010, 8:09 AM
I too had my first Robust experience in Bill Grumbine's shop. I was set on buying a Mustard Monster but Bill convinced me otherwise.:)

I don't turn many 25" pieces (OK, none so far) on my American Beauty, but that capacity makes the lathe feel roomy. The swing-away tailstock is wonderful.

Ken Ken, I could not agree more, there are so many inherent design flaws in mustard that one is well advised to seek and evaluate alternatives. David Woodruff

David Peebles
10-18-2010, 1:22 AM
Thanks everybody for your comments. Looks like I had better start selling off some other toys that I don't use any more. This will probably have to wait until spring but that is ok.
It sure will be a change turning on a Sweet 16 instead of my 1950s Conover. What a jump! Going from a wooden bed to stainless steel.
Thanks again for all the help and, yes, There will be pictures when I get it.:D:D:D

Hey Duff,

If you have a 1950's Conover, you might want to list it on ebay. :) I think they started selling them in the 80's.

Also Ernie had the first lathe bed that would not rust. :)

That Sweet 16 looks great, I am sure you will love it.

Best wishes,

Dave

Vince Welch
10-18-2010, 10:48 PM
HI Duff,
I see you live in Minn. Brent is up in Wisconsin. I do not know what the distance is but it might be worth calling him to find out. Heck you can plan a drive to his place and check em out first hand. Lathes are not cheap and it might be worth and might be fun going to see him first hand.

Vince