PDA

View Full Version : Should I or shouldn't I???

Harold Burrell
10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
What do you think? Should I go for this (if it works, that is)???

http://elmira.craigslist.org/tls/2005060464.html

I have kicked around the idea of getting a RAS in the past. I know they are big and cumbersome and I could do the very same things on my TS & MS...but it is, after all, another toy. :D

Bill Huber
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I know it states Good Shape but it sure does not look like it to me. The price is good but I am not sold on that saw. My Dad had one just like it and it never worked very good, could not hold a true cut it you had to.

Troy Turner
10-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a good deal for the price. If you've got the room, might as well. Come up with a god explanation for the other half in case she finds out :)

Rick Mathison
10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd pass and wait for a turret style armed Delta or DeWalt. Those Craftsmans are a dime a dozen.

Rick

John Gregory
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
The seller has a different definition of "good shape" than I do.

Cary Falk
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Hold out for a beat up DeWalt. You will be ahead in the long run.

Paul McGaha
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Harold,

I'd pass. I'd pass even on a good one. I'm crosscutting on my mitersaw mostly and table saw a little plus I'm scared to death of those things.

Plus no room for it at my shop.

PHM

Joseph Tarantino
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
i have a 10" C-man RAS that dates from 1965 and i wouldn't be without it. if getting a C-man, get one that from the CI column era (up to very eraly 70s?). the one you posted seems to be one of the assembled steel column support models and those have not been favorably referred to on many of the boards i frequent.

i recently purchased a similar C-man for $10 with the thought of having 3 RASs (one for 90* cuts and the other two for opposing 45* cuts). the motor carriage did not ride on bearings but rode on friction pads that slid on the steel tracks attached to the steel support arm. really a very poor design. turned it into emerson for the recall payment.

be selective. older dewalt turret saws get great comments, as do older deltas.

Will Overton
10-14-2010, 11:58 AM
I had one of those for almost 20 years. I got it new from Santa. When I moved in '05 I gave it to a friend of mine. It is still in use every week. I know others have said they had trouble keeping them in alignment. I never had that problem ... I also never moved the saw around although it came with casters. After moving it to my friend's house in '05, he went through the alignment procedures again. He said he used to check it once a month, then every six months, but never had to change any settings. He has a miter saw, so may only use this for 90° cross cuts; I never asked.

This saw does qualify under the Emerson recall. They will supply a new blade guard which is pretty good. Not only does it have a clear shroud around the lower portion of the blade, you have to squeeze the handle to move the blade past the fence ... a nice added safety feature.

Now the bad news and the good news.

> Because of the new guard design the fence got moved (IIRC) 2" forward reducing the cross cut capacity.

>Because of the 'bad news' mentioned above, with the guard they send you a brand new table :cool:

I guess you realize, but will mention anyway, it really isn't 2.5 hp. But, it has plenty. After I got into my new house I bought a Delta 10" RAS because Sears didn't have any for a short time. My new Delta has the same Emerson motor as the Craftsman.

If you do get the saw, and can't find a manual, I'll see if my fiend can make you a copy. Let me know if you need it.

Ryan Hellmer
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree, hold out for a DeWalt or Delta. I like the dewalts personally, I've had 4 of them at various times over the last few years and never paid more than $200 for one (it's a 16" GK with 24" crosscut capacity), the other three were an MMB 8" model that I use for dados, a 925H 9" model that I sold and a 1030 10" model that I picked up for $40. I also have a newer craftsman that is on the way out. They (DeWalts) are GREAT saws and stay in alignment very well. For all the anecdotal talk of danger, I think RAS's are as safe as any other tool in the shop (although the flimsy emerson saws don't feel that way). Keep a sharp blade on them and learn how to use them and you won't ever want to be without. There are some great books out there on the setup and use of RAS's, I'd check the local library.

Ryan

Jonathan Spool
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Unless you're using it for nothing more than rough cutting lengths of lumber to size, that Craftsman will cost you more in bad cuts than you can imagine. If you want a RAS, as others have suggested, hold out for the Delta #1 or the Dewalt.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 2:09 PM
This saw does qualify under the Emerson recall. They will supply a new blade guard which is pretty good. Not only does it have a clear shroud around the lower portion of the blade, you have to squeeze the handle to move the blade past the fence ... a nice added safety feature.

Buy the saw, bring it home, and if you happy get the recall kit from Emerson for free, if you are not happy Emerson will send you a box to return the head and give you.... $100. Think about that...

PS though I agree with Will it does qualify I would check before I bought it banking on the recall.

Harold Burrell
10-14-2010, 3:05 PM
I didn't do it.

I went and looked at it and (as was earlier mentioned) his idea of "good shape" and mine are...well...different.

Nice guy, though.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 3:09 PM
Nice guy, though.

You might want to pass on the Emerson recall to him. He could get twice what he is asking...

John Toigo
10-14-2010, 3:24 PM
Dewalt MBF's come up often and are usually $100 more or less. I've seen the almost looking like new. That's a terrific little saw - dead accurate if you set it up right. I'd look for one of them. It can do crosscutting and it's terrific for rabbits & dadoes.