PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Store OPENING!

Matt Meiser
10-14-2010, 7:55 AM
Wow, this is pretty amazing when you consider how many woodworking/tool stores have closed the last few years. Woodwerks of Columbus Ohio sent out an email about a half hour ago that they are opening a second location on the north side on Black Friday. Conveniently located by Polaris Fashion Place Mall so you can drop off the LOML's and do some shopping of your own.

Also conveniently RIGHT on my way from home to a long time customer I visit at least a few times a year. I usually tried to make it to the main location at least every couple trips but depending on the time of day I was leaving their plant, traffic sometimes made that less than convenient.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 1:41 PM
That is good to here, and a great store. I don't know about Columbus but this seems like a time you might see bigger stores like WW expanding to fill vacuums left by other stores leaving.

Will Overton
10-14-2010, 2:40 PM
When I picked up my table saw from WoodCraft in northern Delaware, they said they were looking for a second location in southern Delaware. Of course I live right in the middle, so it would still be a 1 hour trip. :mad:

It is good to hear they are looking to expand, even in this economic climate. I think the same owner has at least one store in Pa.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2010, 2:47 PM
I have never been to Woodworks. always with a group when going through that part of Ohio. Need to go one day.
We have woodworking dealer here on the East Side of Cincinnati called Hardwood Lumber and More. It is ran by the owner and his wife. They are in the process of setting up a web store and such. May want to pay a visit when in Cincinnati.
Woodcraft also just opened a huge new store here in Cincinnati.

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 2:57 PM
When I picked up my table saw from WoodCraft in northern Delaware, they said they were looking for a second location in southern Delaware. Of course I live right in the middle, so it would still be a 1 hour trip. :mad:

It is good to hear they are looking to expand, even in this economic climate. I think the same owner has at least one store in Pa.

Thats interesting. I would have thought they would have looked up I-95 maybe in mid-Jersey where they could draw from a bigger base of people. I would not have thought southern Delaware would have enough people to support a WC particularly since you can't really get there from anywhere else...

Will Overton
10-14-2010, 3:10 PM
Being in north Delaware (pretty close to the bridge) they get plenty of NJ business. The outlet malls in Rehoboth Beach get plenty of business from Maryland and DC. It's amazing how far folks will travel to pay 0.0% sales tax when they are making large purchases. There are so many out of state folks coming to the (IMHO-unimpressive) beaches and shopping areas, they double the tolls on Route 1 on the weekends.

That's possibly why my property tax only went up $20 this year, and less than $100 in the five years I've been here. :)

Long Island beaches do put Delaware beaches to shame. But I really do miss N.Y. NOT!

Also, I just looked, there are a bunch of WoodCrafts in NJ.

Prashun Patel
10-14-2010, 3:32 PM
Will, where are the Woodcrafts?

I don't believe NJ has any Woodcrafts or Rocklers. Stinks to be a woodworker in NJ.

Will Overton
10-14-2010, 3:47 PM
Will, where are the Woodcrafts?

I don't believe NJ has any Woodcrafts or Rocklers. Stinks to be a woodworker in NJ.

I Googled Woodcraft N.J. and got several hits, with addresses. I just checked ... they are cabinet makers. See that, one more reason to live in Delaware. :)

Paul Johnstone
10-14-2010, 4:12 PM
Wow, this is pretty amazing when you consider how many woodworking/tool stores have closed the last few years. Woodwerks of Columbus Ohio sent out an email about a half hour ago that they are opening a second location on the north side on Black Friday. Conveniently located by Polaris Fashion Place Mall so you can drop off the LOML's and do some shopping of your own.

Wow, that's within walking distance of me. I could carry a Sawstop home. :D
I really like their other location, in fact, they are having their annual sale now (Thurs through Sat ) and I'm heading over there at 5 pm. :)

johnny means
10-14-2010, 8:15 PM
Being in north Delaware It's amazing how far folks will travel to pay 0.0% sales tax when they are making large purchases.

I live in Wilmington, DE and I can't understand why anyone within an hour or so would be willing to make any large purchases with tax when they could just drive here and save a substantial amount of money. Something like a SS ICS would cost over $300 more in Philadelphia, less than a half an hour from here.

Kevin Womer
10-14-2010, 8:23 PM
That is great news, I live 30 minutes from the main store, but will be able to convince the wife to go to Polaris and drop me off so I can see the new one soon. Their annual sale(s) currently going on now and again the same weekend of the WoodWorking Shows in the winter are better than anything I have seen. Thanks for the heads up Matt.
Take Care,
Kevin

John Grabowski
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Matt, I have never been to woodworks but frequent woodcraft in cleveland. Hartville tool would be an hour out of your way if you are coming up 71. Highly recommended.

I am about 40 mins away and it is well worth the trip.

John G

Matt Meiser
10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm a regular (well, once a year or so) at Hartville too.

They are going to open a big new store in about a year as well. I'm told that at that time the Hartville Tool mail order operation will be in the new building with the hardware and there will be a big woodworking area.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm a regular (well, once a year or so) at Hartville too.

They are going to open a big new store in about a year as well. I'm told that at that time the Hartville Tool mail order operation will be in the new building with the hardware and there will be a big woodworking area.

Must be trying to keep up with Keim in Charm.
http://www.keimlumber.com/photogallery

If anyone is looking for a nice quiet trip for a couple days (Or more) The North East part of Ohio, Amish country, is a great place. HUGE tool stores and rust hunting and great food.
I go one or twice a year.

Kevin Womer
10-15-2010, 8:37 AM
We have the day off today and are heading to Amish country will be stopping by Keim and Hartville. I am looking forward to it. Will be looking for a router and a few other things.

Paul Johnstone
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, I was at Woodwerks last night. They said their new store would be in the Capital Fastener building (near the Chase Corporate building, by Old State and Polaris).. It is going to be a smaller store. So I guess I would recommend that out of towners go to their original location for the "WOW" factor. The new store will sure be convienent for picking up quick things though.

Brian Tymchak
10-15-2010, 12:33 PM
... It is going to be a smaller store....

Whew.. I wondered if opening the 2nd store near Polaris might be an indication that they might be eventually moving out of Gahanna, where they are somewhat space and parking constrained. But doesn't sound like it.

Their current location is about a mile drive for me down the backroads, which makes it convenient when hauling a couple hundred bf home in the pickup...

Brian

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2010, 1:18 PM
Congrats! Fat lot of good that does me though.

Curt Harms
10-16-2010, 4:57 AM
I live in Wilmington, DE and I can't understand why anyone within an hour or so would be willing to make any large purchases with tax when they could just drive here and save a substantial amount of money. Something like a SS ICS would cost over $300 more in Philadelphia, less than a half an hour from here.

Anyone who buys something without paying sales tax owes a "use tax", same rate as local sales tax. How many pay it? Probably not many.