PDA

View Full Version : Found a Grizzly Cabinet saw on CL

Chris Tsutsui
10-14-2010, 4:22 AM
For a while I've saved up a saw budget and was almost ready to look at Euro saws and the new unisaw, but around 4pm I saw something on craigslist that made me curious.

Somebody was selling a grizzly saw... I never seen a grizzly machine in person but I hear talk about it on these forums so I had to take a look:

Grizzly Table Saw $400 obo - $400 (Huntington Beach)

Date: 2010-10-13, 3:07PM PDT
Reply to:

$400 obo

Grizzly Table Saw
Motor 3 Horse Power - 220V - Single Phase
10" Table saw - Left tilting

Notes: Runs great, Arbor is perfect and blade tilts smoothly.

Call me on my cell if interested. 123-4567

Location: Huntington Beach it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

So anyways, I call and he didn't receive any offers yet so I decide to check it out and assure him that I'll pay his asking price if everything is in order.

I arrive and sadly it's another small cabinet shop closing its doors. This was their 3rd saw and wasn't abused. It was a G1023SLX with a Freud diablo blade in it and the guy turned it on and it ran super smooth. The blade adjustements were also silky smooth and other than a little saw dust, it didn't have rust, pits, or stains... The 3 belts were in great condition, the motor looked and operated great and I couldn't find anything wrong with tolerances or even dings and paint scratches on the chassis.

During my drive over there the shop owner told me that he was getting a bunch of calls on the tablesaw including higher offers, but he kept telling people somebody is looking at it. (ME) :D

So we took the extension table and rails off and boy were those heavy. We loaded it into a Honda Odyssey. A cabinet shop neighbor had a great idea to put it on its back. I layed down melamine sheet on the van floor and the shop guy gave me a thick moving blanket to put under the saw. Transportation was pretty easy and I was able to unload it in my garage by myself, though moving it around is a pain on my garage floor. I definitely need a mobile base for it.

Boy this saw feels like an upgrade from my portable jobsite tablesaw. I'll have see if I can get a splitter on it, detail it and maybe a new fence or something with the money I saved.

I guess i'm a proud grizzly owner now. :)

scott spencer
10-14-2010, 5:49 AM
Chris - Congrats on an outstanding deal on a very nice saw! Super deal. You might find that you like the fence just fine, but you may want a blade upgrade or two though....Tool King still has the original Series 60 DeWalt DW7657 (http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-10-inch-40-Tooth-General-Purpose/dp/B0042T9YZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1287049959&sr=1-2) made in the UK through Amazon for < $20 shipped...tough to beat for a good 40T ATB general purpose blade for anywhere near that price.

A precision miter gauge would be a nice addition too. As for a splitter, I've had a Bolt On Ripping Knife (************) on my very similar Shop Fox 1677 for more than two years, and have been very happy with it. He's recently announced a guard for it too, which I added a little over a week ago. It's the least intrusive guard arrangement I've used to date.

Good luck and be safe!

Cary Falk
10-14-2010, 6:11 AM
Chris,
That is agreat deal on a well proven saw saw!!! Do yourself a favor and replace that cursor on the fence. Either get the Beisemeyer replacement of make one like I did. Oh, and take cover, the Grizzly haters will be along shortly.:D

Gerald Senburn
10-14-2010, 7:09 AM
As I recall, that was Grizzly's most popular saw for years. And you got it at $2-300 under what I'd consider a normal price. Good deal!

Neil Brooks
10-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Congratulations !!!

I let one go, locally, because it wasn't riving knife equipped. Forget the model #.

Looks like a good one, though !

During my drive over there the shop owner told me that he was getting a bunch of calls on the tablesaw including higher offers, but he kept telling people somebody is looking at it.In sales, this is called "A Call to Action" or ... creating a sense of urgency.

From my reading, I DO believe it was true ... once ;)

Rick Mathison
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice buy, 3hp cabinet saw with 52" ripping capacity for $400 and it needs no immediate upgrades. HAPPY CUTTING!

Rick

Prashun Patel
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
You really lucked out. Great find!

Von Bickley
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Congratulations on your STEAL....... :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Congrats. I would have bought that in a flash!

Jim Rimmer
10-14-2010, 1:20 PM
Nobody has done it yet so: YOU SUCK! :D

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2010, 2:54 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Harold Burrell
10-14-2010, 3:08 PM
Nobody has done it yet so: YOU SUCK! :D

Yeah...big time. :D

Chris Padilla
10-14-2010, 3:57 PM
Uhm, he doesn't suck. You guys are slacking. This was a KILLER deal. I'm wondering why a knowledgeable (sp?) cabinet shop worker would unload such a nice saw at half of new?

!! YOU REALLY SUCK !!

Mike Cruz
10-14-2010, 4:31 PM
Wow, great deal...I mean STEAL! That thing looks brand new. Enjoy it.

scott spencer
10-14-2010, 4:38 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

+1

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/stuff/YS2.jpg

:D

Admit Chris...you earned it! :D

Van Huskey
10-14-2010, 5:00 PM
Great snag!

Gary Hodgin
10-14-2010, 5:40 PM