PDA

View Full Version : What to use...

Donnie Raines
12-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Went to the local big box this AM to pick up a few bags of salt for the driveway. As I started to pick the bag's up I noticed this warning on the bag...."could cause surface damage to concrete". Even the ice-melt had this listed on the package.

Well.....I have a concrete driveway......what are you guys useing?

Glenn Clabo
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
<TABLE borderColor=#cccccc borderColorDark=#cccccc borderColorLight=#cccccc border=1><TBODY><TR class=color1 align=middle><TD>Product</TD><TD>
Minimum Working Temp. (°F)

</TD><TD>Speed</TD><TD>Damages Concrete and Metal?</TD><TD>Harm Plants?</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD width="24%">Magnesium Chloride</TD><TD width="23%">-13</TD><TD width="14%">Very Fast</TD><TD width="23%">No</TD><TD width="16%">Moderately</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD width="24%">Calcium Chloride</TD><TD width="23%">5</TD><TD width="14%">Fast</TD><TD width="23%">Yes*</TD><TD width="16%">Yes</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD width="24%">Sodium Chloride (salt)</TD><TD width="23%">18</TD><TD width="14%">Moderate</TD><TD width="23%">Yes*</TD><TD width="16%">Yes</TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD width="24%">Potassium Chloride</TD><TD width="23%">25</TD><TD width="14%">Slow</TD><TD width="23%">OK on old concrete</TD><TD width="16%">Moderately</TD></TR>

I use CMA...but I can't remeber the brand they sell around here. It's like little pellets...and kind of new I think. Used it last year and had no problems with plants or concrete.<TR align=middle>

<TD width="24%">Calcium Magnesium

Acetate(CMA)
</TD>

<TD width="23%">25</TD>

<TD width="14%">Slow</TD><TD width="23%">No</TD><TD width="16%">No</TD>

</TR>

</TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>*Sodium and calcium chloride are particularly damaging to newly poured concrete. Also, these chemicals should not be applied to brick or stone surfaces.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Curt Harms
12-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi Donnie

We use granular urea fertilizer. I'm told airports use it because it doesn't corrode expensive aluminum. I don't know if it'd be as effective at lower temperatures as other materials. I do know that it doesn't hurt grass or plants. As a matter of fact, it makes the grass next to driveways and sidewalks grow like crazy! I suppose urea could contribute to nitrogen pollution, but what's more damaging, salt or nitrogen?

Curt

Ken Garlock
12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
When I was growing up in Akron, we used salt on the concrete driveway, and my Dad continued to use it for 50 years with no problems noted. Now, that was 1940 vintage concrete, but I would not be supprised to find that todays "new and improved" concrete crumbles upon the first mention of salt :rolleyes: The cities near Lake Erie keep the salt mines in business in the winter time.

Glenn Clabo
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Actually Curt...I found out about CMA from a friend who works at an airport. They use CMA now because of the nitrogen issue. CMA isn't perfect, something about reducing O2 release in H2O...and it's expensive. But it's much better on the environment. All I know is it works great here.

Curt Harms
12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Actually Curt...I found out about CMA from a friend who works at an airport. They use CMA now because of the nitrogen issue. CMA isn't perfect, something about reducing O2 release in H2O...and it's expensive. But it's much better on the environment. All I know is it works great here.
Hi Glenn

I hadn't heard about that-I'm not involved with the airport side, just so the braking action reports are good. ;)

Curt

Chris Rolke
12-22-2004, 2:53 PM
hey donnie

my dad sells icemelt down in loveland 513-683-6633 (old part, across from the old nisbet lumber building)

i use it on my concrete driveway and dont have a problem

other ideas are calcium chloride, and fertilizer ( works in a pinch)