PDA

View Full Version : three new duck calls

Aaron Wingert
10-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Been suffering from an ugly case of strep throat for the past few days so I've managed to spend some time in the shop as opposed to being truly productive.

These three calls are the same shape I always do, but I tried something different and didn't install metal bands on them and instead just turned the shape of the band in wood. Most of the guys on the callmaking forum said they'd rather see a band on the calls, purely for looks. Many calls actually need a band but the way I make my calls' inserts doesn't require one.

Sure would appreciate all your opinions/comments/critiques, especially regarding the wood "bands".

The first one is cocobolo with a CA finish. It has about 15 coats of CA wet sanded to 2000 grit then buffed with tripoli and white diamond. I just recently got the hang of doing CA finishes on calls, and am loving the results. Looks like glass!

Aaron Wingert
10-13-2010, 11:55 PM
The second two are Argentinian lignum vitae. They're sanded to 2000 grit and have no finish. They're super oily so a finish just isn't needed. These have a very, very, very strong odor from the wood...Very bitter smell that you definitely get a taste of while using the call. Guess that makes for a good call to give a hunter that tends to call too much. :D

The pics make them look lighter than they are, as the flash was a little too much.

Ken Hill
10-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Excellent as usual!

brian watts
10-14-2010, 3:45 AM
i said before.. i really like the look of them with out a band because you donot see it often i guess. hope one day i get good enough to turn a duck call..very good job

John Keeton
10-14-2010, 6:53 AM
Aaron, I like these without the band, but largely because of the finish on the woods and finish. I think on most calls, the band adds a little something for contrast aside from the functional purpose. Maybe it is just what I expect to see.

You did a great job on these, and the lignum vitae calls are really pretty, too. Hard to beat cocobolo!!

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice work - as per your usual! Very pretty woods and the CA finish does give it a glass like quality!

I am mixed with the idea of a wood band. On one hand, it is unique and gives the call a totally different look from everything else out there. The other side of it is that I do like the way a metal or other material band adds contrast to the call and highlights the wood.

Guess the only way to see if the wood bands work is to find out which ones sell the best. Good luck!

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Those are beauties. Really like the first one. CA sure gives it a bright shiney finish.

Rick Markham
10-15-2010, 2:40 AM
Aaron, I love your calls! The cocobolo ones are really eye catching, particularly without the bands! I think the form really flows. They honestly look like a single piece of wood. I bet if you show them to some hunters, they will wonder how you made them!

P.S. I'm saving all my pennies for a lathe... Dang all of you and your vortex! Aaron your calls are a big part of my corruption... I hope y'all are happy with yourselves! :p

John Keeton
10-15-2010, 6:43 AM
P.S. I'm saving all my pennies for a lathe... Dang all of you and your vortex! Aaron your calls are a big part of my corruption... I hope y'all are happy with yourselves! :pOh, another hapless soul...standing at the edge of the precipice - one foot just over the line!!!! Someone grab Rick, and yank him on into this bottomless pit!!!:D:D

Aaron Wingert
10-15-2010, 3:44 PM
Come on in Rick, drink the kool-aid, and enjoy the vortex. :D
Thanks for the kind words everybody.