PDA

View Full Version : grizzly disc/belt sander?

chris toomey
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
i need a belt/disc sander combo. i bought the delta shop master......what a waste..live and learn. i'm looking at the grizzly z series 6 inch belt 9 inch disc for $219.00. anyone have any thoughts? i don't want to / can't spend $400.00 on a sander. any input is appreciated.

Bob Aquino
12-22-2004, 12:50 PM
I have that one. Got it about 3 years ago. Isn't bad for the money. Belt tracks reasonably well. Dust collection is poor. If you look at units priced around 400, you will see where they cut corners, but again, for the money I think it is worth it.

Mark Singer
12-22-2004, 1:23 PM
I have the Jet combo disc / belt at $399 it is a great value!

Jim Guy
12-22-2004, 1:46 PM
I also have the Jet combo disc / belt. I'm happy with it and use it almost everytime I'm in the shop.

Chad Young
12-22-2004, 1:51 PM
I have the Grizzly and have had great luck with it. The only down side as Bob said is the dust collection. It is very easy to change belts and getting it to track straight is no problem.

Chad

Dick Parr
12-22-2004, 2:08 PM
I have had the Grizzly for about 6 or 7 years now and love it. It's not the best by far, but does what I need done.

Jim Becker
12-22-2004, 4:00 PM
I have the larger G1276 1725 RPM 12" disk/6"x48" belt sander from Grizzly and find it to be an acceptable machine. It does what it is intended to do...shape wood...efficiently and without burning. That all said, I'm sorry I didn't buy an edge sander instead...it would have better suited the way that I use the machine and more. I have never actually used the disk other than one time purely because it was easier to physically get to for a "quickie" without moving the machine out of my "tool coral" where I push all the tools not frequently used.

Perry Holbrook
12-22-2004, 6:03 PM
I've bought 2 of the $200 versions. After I bought the first one, I realized I needed it to be an edge sander instead, so I took it apart and used the pieces to build the edge sander. It lasted longer than it should have considering the production demands I put on it. Replaced it with an industrial strength edge machine.

I bought the second one a few weeks ago. I have spent the last few days turning this one into a wet belt sander/ diamond disk grinder for glass work. The belt and disk is enclosed with water jets and drains. I also slowed the belt speed. You can't find this combination for glass, but the wet belt sanders of this size sell for nearly $1000, and an 8" grinder is around $800, so the time has been well spent. Thought about taking pictures, but frankly it was built for function not beauty.

Anyway, for $200 I think it's a good buy as a wood sander.

Perry

Curt Harms
12-22-2004, 7:07 PM
I have one. It's no gem, but it does what I need. I use the belt in the vertical position most of the time, so I mounted a HVAC register boot (?term?) under the belt. Hooked it up to a 6"hose necked down to 4". Dust collection is quite good. I've never used the disk sander either. Mine has 1 table for the disk and a small-useless-rest for the belt. The belt side does have provisions to mount the table, which I did. If I used the disk, I could get another table for not too much money, but I don't feel the need. Also, the little sucker is noisy.

Curt

Bob Aquino
12-23-2004, 10:34 AM
I did something similar. Took a piece of 4" pvc and cut out a section so that it covers a good part of the far end of the belt. Attached that to a 4" dust hose and it does a fair job of catching most of the dust that the belt sander makes. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it does the job. Was actually a pretty quick fix overall. If anyone is interested I can post a pix.

Joel Selman
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I have the Grizzly and like it. For the money it is a great deal.
I also have a Grizzly GO555 14" Bandsaw which I cannot say enough about. I use a 3/4" 3 tpi bi-metal hook blade for resawing and can get the most beautiful thin cuts you could ask for.

Bart Leetch
12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
I have the G1014Z & it sets right next to my G1029 DC & is hooked into one side of the y with a pvc y & 2 2" hoses & the dust collection seem to work pretty good & the sander gets use just about every-time I'm in the shop. I would definitely buy it again. I've had mine almost 2 years.

chris toomey
12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks Guys