PDA

View Full Version : My big "oopsie" bowl

Bill Bolen
10-13-2010, 8:21 PM
The wife had been asking for a "harvest bowl". Just a large deep bowl that she wanted as a center piece in the fall of the year. She wanted to fill it with apples when apple pie time got here. I used a large thick chunk of Elm that was harvested back in '07. After cutting the blank I mounted to a face plate for the roughing. Then I noticed that I had mounted it up side down so thought "lucky me" I caught it before it was too late. Well once it was finish turned I could see 8 screw holes looking back at me in the bottom. Not so "lucky me"! Not wanting to pitch it I cut two grooves in the bottom, right over the screw holes and filled the groove with cedar sanding dust and CA. Should have made the groove a bit wider and re-do the whole fix but that was right about the time I was getting sick and just did not have the patience to fix it right. Posted the outcome. This was the last piece I turned from all the way back in April. Just wish I realized that I would be feeling better and waited to do the fix better but it is what it is. LOML says it doesn't matter when the apples are in the bowl...Bill...
14.5 X 4.75 finished with satin poly and buffed :rolleyes:

David E Keller
10-13-2010, 8:26 PM
I like the bowl. It's a nice utilitarian form. The bottom detail reminds me a bit of some type of fighter plane gunsight which is kind of cool.

John Keeton
10-13-2010, 8:37 PM
Nice bowl, and with apples in it - no one will know!!

Roger Chandler
10-13-2010, 8:48 PM
I suspect that there is not a one of us on this forum that don't have projects with which we wish we had "do-overs."

Overall, a very nice bowl indeed!

Rob Mathis
10-13-2010, 9:46 PM
Sounds like your wife is a keeper.

:)

Nice bowl amd glad to hear your doing better.

George Morris
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Looks goood from here! Hope you are feeling better! G

Steve Mawson
10-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Still nice bowl and will serve the purpose. Apples are really yummy this time of year.

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Nice utility bowl Bill. Really like the form and color of the wood.

David DeCristoforo
10-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice save on a nice bowl. Besides, who's gonna see it if it's full of fruit?

Gene Hintze
10-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Bill that is a great looking bowl and those are the kind of stories that husbands and wives like to tell and retell to each other over the years. You didn't just make a bowl there, you made a memory that you and your wife can share forever. Congratulations on both accomplishments.

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I like the bowl - good looking wood and great size for a centerpiece! Interesting custom design in the center! :D

Prashun Patel
10-14-2010, 8:51 AM
I think the best pieces are the ones that had to overcome some kind of 'mistake' or challenge. I love yr bowl more for it. Thanks for posting.

Jim Burr
10-14-2010, 8:58 AM
Good looking bowl no matter what's in it!

Josh Bowman
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I like the shape and the wood. Run with the holes. Make them bigger and say it's for air to circulate around fresh fruit:D