PDA

View Full Version : RIKON Mini Lathe help

Lee Koepke
10-13-2010, 8:10 PM
Well, I need some help with my new (used) lathe.

It appears that the indexing gear's set screw either broke or came loose. I cannot lock the spindle.

Whats the process to dismantle and re-assemble? Thought I would ask before taking everything apart.

Thanks.

Michael James
10-13-2010, 8:29 PM
Leo, I dont know anything about your lathe, but if it were mine I'd go to their website and see what kinds of schematic / illustrations / parts blow up - part # pics they have and go from there. That's just me.
Good luck,
mj

David E Keller
10-13-2010, 8:30 PM
Mine's been broken for a long time, but I've never had the motivation to fix it(I don't use the lathe much anymore). I hope the fix is simple, and I'll get motivated to do it.

Lee Koepke
10-13-2010, 8:33 PM
I looks like the only way it to take the shaft apart, then the upper housing off.

I just dont know if the bearing would go back on easily?

Bernie Weishapl
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Mine has been broke now for a couple of years and just never took the time to fix it. I need to one of these days but everytime I think I will something comes up. Let us know what you find out Leo.

byron constantine
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Lee,
I had a rikon mimi and the same thing happened to mine. Turn the lathe
over, take the switch out, that way you can get a long allen wrench
on the allen screw. The main shaft has a detent it it where the set screw
goes. The collar that the set screw is in slides on the shaft. Line the screw up with the detent put some lock tite on the screw and re-install.
When the lock tite sets the screw won't come loose again. hopes this helps.
Byron

Trevor Walsh
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I have this lathe, if I understand the problem you're having right the top knob that locks the spindle/indexes has a fitting the screws into the top of the headstock. That piece should just loosen with a wrench. I'll dig out the manual when I get home from work tomorrow if you need a copy.

Jon Lanier
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Mine's been broke for a while. They sent me a new sproket, but I can't get the stop screw in... so I just don't mess with it. I don't index stuff anyway.

Michael James
10-13-2010, 11:53 PM
I have this lathe, if I understand the problem you're having right the top knob that locks the spindle/indexes has a fitting the screws into the top of the headstock. That piece should just loosen with a wrench. I'll dig out the manual when I get home from work tomorrow if you need a copy.

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-100.htm

Here are all the pdf's you should need. Again good luck.
mj

Lee Koepke
10-14-2010, 8:27 AM
Lee,
I had a rikon mimi and the same thing happened to mine. Turn the lathe
over, take the switch out, that way you can get a long allen wrench
on the allen screw. The main shaft has a detent it it where the set screw
goes. The collar that the set screw is in slides on the shaft. Line the screw up with the detent put some lock tite on the screw and re-install.
When the lock tite sets the screw won't come loose again. hopes this helps.
Byron
I am going to have to try this. I took the locking pin off and could see where the collar is sliding on the shaft.

I hate that it happened now, because I was trying to enter my first piece in the Turning Contest :(

I got 3/4 of my entry done .... but cant finish unless I fix this....

Jeff Fagen
10-14-2010, 11:03 PM
The biggest problem you'll have with the Ricon lathe is the discs that tighten the banjo and tail stock getting loose while turning.You can make them out of square stock or order them from Monster tools.

Lee Koepke
10-15-2010, 8:59 AM
The biggest problem you'll have with the Ricon lathe is the discs that tighten the banjo and tail stock getting loose while turning.You can make them out of square stock or order them from Monster tools.
I have kinda noticed that ... thought it was operator error.

The other 'biggest problem' is that I am now stuck in the infamous vortex and already thinking about bigger machines :rolleyes:

BTW, it was a set screw that came loose and is now lost in a pile of shavings somewhere in my yard..... I replace that today and I am back in business!!!

Good thing about these machines, they are relatively simple to take apart.