PDA

View Full Version : Another Walnut NE

Rob Cunningham
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
This one is nothing spectacular, but I thought I'd post it anyway. It's @ 7" diameter and 3" high with 1/4" wall thickness. I lost the bark during the rough out process so I went for a thinner wall. I've been trying to work on my form and curves to get them more flowing. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Tim Rinehart
10-13-2010, 1:40 PM
Rob,
That's a nice bowl IMO. I really struggle sometimes to keep the bark, CA'ing and just pulling hair out at times looking for errant pieces that fly off.

I see nothing wrong with loss of bark...and in fact, kinda like it. I suspect I'll just let the bark fly next time...if it doesn't want to stay on.

Great work!

Prashun Patel
10-13-2010, 1:44 PM
I think it looks great.
I was under the impression that keeping the pith in tact increases the risk of cracking. Is that true?

Baxter Smith
10-13-2010, 5:23 PM
Curves look good to me and it makes for a pretty bowl. My NE ones have a tendency to flatten out at the top. JMO but you might try for a slightly smaller base. One third or less. Sometimes I measure and sometimes I don't. When they don't look quite right or a little heavy/flat at the bottom it is usually because I haven't quite gotten to that diameter.