PDA

View Full Version : Impact driver help

Deb Malloy
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a Makita 14V impact driver, model BTD130FW. There is a drill bit stuck. that for the life or me I cannot remove. I've had the drill for awhile, and this is the first time this has happened.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Thanks

Garrett Ellis
10-13-2010, 1:12 PM
did the hex shank get cocked one direction or the other so that its not longer lined up with the hex receiving slot and jammed?

Joseph Tarantino
10-13-2010, 1:28 PM
this has usually worked for my 14.4 ridgid impact driver when the bit gets stuck. two people are needed. one person holds the drill/driver bit with vice grips or similar tool while the other person holds the locking mechanism in the release position while operating the tool in reverse. brief spurts of operating the tool in reverse usually cause the mechanism to relaease the captured bit.

Callan Campbell
10-13-2010, 2:08 PM
You could also clamp down on the bit with that pair of vise grips, and then put the vise grips in a vise if you're working alone. I do this with certain repair jobs where that second set of hands isn't, umm handy. It's a slight pain to have to remove the vise grips from the vise to adjust them or reopen them for any reason, but only a minor bother since the vise does all the extra work for you.

Greg Portland
10-13-2010, 2:23 PM
Just impact something in reverse that requires a bunch of torque (lag bolt, etc.), it should loosen up.

Don Jarvie
10-13-2010, 4:22 PM
Put the vice grips on the bit with one hand and pull down the lock with the other.

Then move the vice grips back and forth and it will loosen