PDA

View Full Version : OK This is a weird TV problem

Doug Shepard
10-13-2010, 8:31 AM
My old Sony Wega TV died last week so I trotted down to Best Buy and came home with a 42" Panasonic plasma TV. From day 1, when I turned it on my dog has been acting increasingly petrified of the thing. If it's turned off she jumps up as if hit by a cattle prod when I turn it on. The past 3-4 days she refuses to even come in the same room with me until I turn it off. There's obviously something she's hearing from this that I can't but it's apparently so extreme to her that she's scared to death of the thing. Looks like I may have to exchange this for a LCD/LED type. Shame, because it has a great picture. She doesn't have any problem with the Samsung LCD unit upstairs. Anybody else run into this?

Dan Hintz
10-13-2010, 8:45 AM
She probably hears the whine of a high-voltage generator... I can usually tell if a standard CRT TV is on in the next room, even if muted, due to the whine of the flyback transformer.

Doug Shepard
10-13-2010, 8:48 AM
She probably hears the whine of a high-voltage generator... I can usually tell if a standard CRT TV is on in the next room, even if muted, due to the whine of the flyback transformer.

Not sure that's it. The dead Sony Wega was a CRT type and she didn't have any issues with that one.

Dan Hintz
10-13-2010, 8:55 AM
Different frequencies between a plasma and a CRT flyback...

Chris Padilla
10-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Try another dog/animal and see if they react similarly. Also, see if someone else can hear anything in case your high-frequency hearing isn't what it used to be. :)

I have two 42" Panasonic plasmas in my house and they are often both on at the same time. We only have fish. :)

Chris Harry
10-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Agreed. My 32" LCD makes a whining noise. Its not ultra high pitched so I can actually hear it, but I could see how it might make an animal react negatively.

The only pets I have are 2 kids ;)

Brian Darold
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a Pioneer plasma TV and my dog doesn't seem to care if it's on or off. He will often sleep at our feet while my wife and I watch TV so I have to assume it doesn't bother him.

Now if he seens an air compressor or nail gun he runs for the hills. He just doesn't like the noise of those tools.

Brian

ray hampton
10-13-2010, 1:05 PM
dogs can sense electric discharge and know that it come from
your set

Bryan Morgan
10-13-2010, 3:14 PM
My old Sony Wega TV died last week so I trotted down to Best Buy and came home with a 42" Panasonic plasma TV. From day 1, when I turned it on my dog has been acting increasingly petrified of the thing. If it's turned off she jumps up as if hit by a cattle prod when I turn it on. The past 3-4 days she refuses to even come in the same room with me until I turn it off. There's obviously something she's hearing from this that I can't but it's apparently so extreme to her that she's scared to death of the thing. Looks like I may have to exchange this for a LCD/LED type. Shame, because it has a great picture. She doesn't have any problem with the Samsung LCD unit upstairs. Anybody else run into this?

That is weird. I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and 2 dogs and neither of them care whether its on or off. The only time they even look at it is if someone in the show/video game whistles or makes an animal noise... :confused:

Doug Shepard
10-13-2010, 8:05 PM
Well things are starting to get back to normal. I exchanged the TV this afternoon and brought home a 46" Samsung LED TV. China still hasn't totally realized that the evil TV isn't here anymore but I had her in the room with the Samsung on for about 3 hours without any of the agitated back and forth pacing she was doing with the plasma TV and she even managed to enter the room on her own accord a bit ago. Cost me about twice what the plasma TV did but she's part of the family too and if she cant deal with it, it's got to go.

Rich Stewart
10-14-2010, 8:49 AM
When the Samsung starts to not come on let me know. I know how to fix it. It will start ticking when you turn it on. Starts out a couple ticks then after some time it will take an hour to come on. Bad capacitors.

Jim Becker
10-16-2010, 9:08 PM
Neither of our Sharp Aquos LCD systems emit any kind of noise that I've ever been able to identify.

Bill Cunningham
10-16-2010, 9:54 PM
We have a 50" Panasonic plasma, but I also have tinitus, and 'that's' like listening to a HV Flyback 24 hrs a day, so I sure haven't noticed any sound coming from the T.V.!!

Bryan Morgan
10-16-2010, 10:47 PM
All plasmas make a little but of humming noise. Some are worse than others. Mine barely makes any noise, you have to be close to hear it. I know others with the same model that say its extremely loud. I can hear dog whistles and I used to be able to tell if CRT TVs were on without looking at them, even from other rooms in the house (hows that for weird?) but the plasmas don't seem to be that high of a frequency, at least that I can tell. I have a SPL meter, maybe I will check it some time.