PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Peltiers

Doug Griffith
10-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Speaking of Peltiers (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149779), I thought I'd show a proof of concept for a future product built using a laser. That and a cheap beer can chiller.

When passing air through the bottom chamber, it is cooled quite a bit by a heatsink mounted to the peltier. The top chamber has a heat sink and fan which "pulls" heat from the peltier. The more heat pulled, the cooler the cold side gets.

I find the laser far quicker than any other method for creating items such as this that are semi-precision.

Frank Corker
10-13-2010, 5:38 AM
Jeez Doug you really do get some cool projects to work on!

Chuck Thomas
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
A techno-geek beer chiller, I love it. I've been wanting to play with Peltier plates for a while now. Seeing those fans you put on top of wood stoves got me hooked on them.

Bill Cunningham
10-14-2010, 9:28 PM
Cool!!.... :D

Doug Griffith
10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
You guys are so Punny!

Peltiers are interesting to work with. The trick is to pull as much heat as possible from the hot side of the chip in order for the cool side to be as cold as it can be.

Frank, my trick to working on cool jobs is to work for less than I'm worth and tread waters on the fringe of my ethics (some jobs). That and work with people who walk in those waters and sell me beyond my skillsets where I'm forced to tap my gray matter. My latest modus operandi is to accept less up front and back it with royalty points. I get between 1.5 and 6 depending on the post job energy I'll have to put into the project. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. This is for design/engineering work I do. Laser production work helps pay the bills inbetween.

Robert Walters
10-15-2010, 1:22 AM
...tread waters on the fringe of my ethics...

With 'Cold Fusion' in your signature, I don't think you can ethically get much much lower than that :D