PDA

View Full Version : Long Grain to end grain glue up??

Jason Yeager
10-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a project that requires gluing a small block of wood to the top of a frame, picture a face frame. The small block will end up being glued to the end grain of the stile in order to house a spring bolt. I want the block to be well attached so it doesn't fall off when the spring bolt snaps back into place. Anyone have any ideas on the best type of glue, or other methods of strengthening the connection quickly and securely?

Thanks,

Jason

Jamie Buxton
10-13-2010, 12:44 AM
End grain doesn't glue very securely. You could use screws to make the joint. Or dowels. Or even better Miller dowels. You'd just clamp the block in place and drill through it for the dowels.

Chip Lindley
10-13-2010, 12:53 AM
If the stress inflicted by the "spring bolt" on the glued-on block is not huge, there is a good chance one of the polyurethane glues like "Gorilla Glue" will do the job. (I've had great luck with Elmer's version) Use it sparingly; it foams out of the joint a bit.

John Coloccia
10-13-2010, 3:45 AM
Any reason you can't just make the stile longer? If it's just for looks, there's no reason why you can't half-lap the rail and stile, and then continue the stile a bit further.

glenn bradley
10-13-2010, 7:01 AM
Floating tenon or make a tenon on the end of the block to fit into a mortise in the end grain. As Chip says; if the stress isn't bad, poly or epoxy(?).

Jason Yeager
10-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks everyone,

I ended up doing a test, and five minute epoxy works pretty darn good in gluing end grain to long grain. I did the ole' glue it up and try to break it routine, and had to get pretty red faced to break the bond, well short of the cure time too. I think the epoxy coupled with a few well placed pins will work great.

Jason