PDA

View Full Version : Any tips/comments about crating a machine?

mreza Salav
10-12-2010, 8:58 PM
Well, in the next couple of weeks I'm flying 2000 miles to take a look at a mini-max jointer/planer combo machine and hopefully crate and ship it to Chicago where I reside temporarily, and then ship it back to Canada (where my shop is) next summer!!:)

The machine is about 800 pounds and since I have never crated a machine I want to know if there is any tip or advice you want to share?

My plan is to get some 2x6 and 2x4's and OSB's from local HD and build the base, roll the machine over the base and then screw the sides to it.
Also, to fit the machine in my storage, I'll have to remove jointer beds. Is it Ok if I add a "shelf" in the crate and lay the beds flat and secure them there?

Thanks in advance.

Van Huskey
10-12-2010, 9:07 PM
I am going to assume due to the distance and tha fact you are crating it you are going to be using a shipping company to move it.

If I were in this position and planning to move an expensive piece of equipment twice I would seriously consider a rigger. They will know what a shipping company needs and requires to safely transport the machine and I would ask them if they could screw the top portion so it could be remove and replaced easily. Just having shipped a lot of small things via UPS and USPS over the years I learned there was a learning curve to how to pack and protect items, some of what I learned was counter-intuative, sometimes less is more.

mreza Salav
10-12-2010, 9:25 PM
I am going to assume due to the distance and tha fact you are crating it you are going to be using a shipping company to move it.

If I were in this position and planning to move an expensive piece of equipment twice I would seriously consider a rigger. They will know what a shipping company needs and requires to safely transport the machine and I would ask them if they could screw the top portion so it could be remove and replaced easily. Just having shipped a lot of small things via UPS and USPS over the years I learned there was a learning curve to how to pack and protect items, some of what I learned was counter-intuative, sometimes less is more.

Yes, it will be freight to Chicago using a shipping company.
I am going to be using only screws to build the crate. Do you say screws to make it easier to uncrate it or was there any other reason you mention it?
I asked about the cost of getting the crating done by the shipping company too and they were asking $400 for it which I found steep.

Van Huskey
10-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Yes, it will be freight to Chicago using a shipping company.
I am going to be using only screws to build the crate. Do you say screws to make it easier to uncrate it or was there any other reason you mention it?
I asked about the cost of getting the crating done by the shipping company too and they were asking $400 for it which I found steep.

You may want to check some riggers in the area, they may be cheaper.

I said screws so you could open it and "rebuild" it without damage. I have gotten machines shipped in crates with screws and some with nails, a nailed crate almost always gets ruined getting it open.

If you build it yourself I assume you are going to need to start with a pallet or at least build a pallet that is forklift and pallet jack "friendly".

mreza Salav
10-12-2010, 9:54 PM
Yes, my plan is to make the base as pallet to be "fork-lift" friendly and will use screws all around to make it easier to use the crate for the second trip.

James Malcolm
10-12-2010, 9:56 PM
Build wall panels out of plywood with 2x4 framework on the outside, overlap joints at the corner with backing blocks on so that you can bolt through 2x mtrl into the 2x on the adjacent panel, never just through the plywood. Screw boards to the skid (lag bolts & washers for everything) that the wall panels then screw into, then screw through a 2x into the 2x on the adjacent panels. Always through a 2x into a 2x. Don't trust the plywood. Picture is worth a thousand words. You can put three sides together first and then position the blocks on the skid. Run 2x4s side to side across the crate tight to the tool from all sides. Good idea to use something to protect the paint. Use 2x on the outside of the plywood to bolt through to the braces . Get the shock indicators and put some inside the crate, that way you have a record of any incidents. This may be overkill for what you're doing, never seen an OEM tool crate that was anything more than a thin box. This is how much more precise instruments were shipped, but they also had false floors w/ 2" of high density foam underneath.

Your best bet would be to set them along side the machine on the skid and secure them directly to the skid. Not a good idea to have that much weight only supported by the crate. It would be ok if you could secure them to the machine. Smart bet would be to ship them seperately.

mreza Salav
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks James for taking the time and drawing it up.

Van Huskey
10-13-2010, 3:41 PM
If you build as James suggests it will be unlikely to have problems, unless you have an "incident", but rest assured nothing will protect a machine from a really stupid or careless person.

Lee Schierer
10-13-2010, 4:15 PM
It looks like you have the crate covered pretty well. Make sure the base is large so the machine can't tip if the truck stops fast.

To prevent rusting:
Buy some Boeshield T-9 and spray down all non-painted surfaces and leave the Boeshield wet, don't wipe it. When it gets to your shop spray it once more with the Boeshield and wipe it down. That should protect it from rust. Machines will sweat inside a crate when the temperature changes.