PDA

View Full Version : Signature Stamp

Wes Newman
12-22-2004, 12:51 AM
I've been toying with the idea of creating my own signature stamp for my projects. This pic is what I've come up with so far. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13910&stc=1

I think the year looks a little goofy in the middle. I could go with "Winter '05" or something like that. I was going to try and use the laserjet iron on technique, but if I can come up with something different in the middle instead of the year, I might get a rubber stamp made. Thanks in advance for any input.

Jerry Crawford
12-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Several years ago in FWW there was a article about some crafstman who signed his name on his work then inletted a new penny with some clear epoxy to "date stamp" his work. I always thought that was a pretty clever way of dating his stuff.

Larry Browning
12-22-2004, 8:25 AM
There is a company called Brand New Branding Irons that will make a custom branding iron with any design you want. (It's pretty pricey though) I got one of their stock ones with my name on it for about $50 bucks. It works great! The web site is www.brandnew.net

Bob Hovde
12-22-2004, 9:11 AM
You could leave the center blank and then write something on it to personalize it - like: 2005-1, 2005-2, etc., or just your initials if you don't want to number it.

Bob

Jim Becker
12-22-2004, 9:22 AM
I'd leave the center blank and use a fine Sharpy to add the date. That way you could do either a rubber stamp or a branding iron (I use the latter) and it will stay useful "forever". The coin method is also good; just drill the hole after stamping the image so you can center the coin.

Ted Shrader
12-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Wes -

I have used the coin and "write on it with a Sharpie" method for years. I like your design and agree with the others about leaving the center blank so it can be filled in with a date, serial number, etc.

Ted

Ralph Barhorst
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I have used and ink-jet printer on a piece of contrasting veneer with good results. I then glue the veneer to an appropriate area. They are easy and quick to do so you can customize one for each project.

Dave Brandt
12-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Add me to the list of leaving the center blank. Use the penny to date the project. I wanted to give some small items I had made a couple of years ago as Christmas gifts this year. To my utter amazement, I had burned in the year and it wasn't quite a couple of years ago...it was 1989! So the lesson is, only put the date in (or object with the date on it) when necessary!

Wes Newman
12-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks, for the input guys. If anyone would like a jpeg like this one with their name and town or any other wording, I'd be glad to make them. Just PM me and I'll see what I can do. I've got several different CAD programs, so I can do just about anything.