PDA

View Full Version : Jet Buffer + Beall Buff Adapter

Lance Norris
10-12-2010, 6:29 PM
I recently acquired a Jet 1725 RPM buffer that has a Sand-Rite flap sanding head. I want to use this buffer to flap sand AND buff. I was looking at the Beall Woodbuff system and it looks like the adapter isnt threaded and attaches to a 5/8" shaft with set screws. The Jet buffer has a 5/8" threaded arbor. I dont want to run set screws into the threads and ruin them. Am I missing something? Should I just find the 5/8 ID buffing wheels that I need and go that route? Thanks for any advice.

Mark Levitski
10-12-2010, 8:16 PM
Lance, we have used the Jet 1725 buffer w/ the Beall buffs for a while and it works great. Also have the Sand-rite on the other end of the Jet shaft, but don't use it for sanding turnings. If yours doesn't work out, let me know. We could use another Sand-rite head for my wife's furniture stuff. The other Beall buffs are on a Caswell buffer (1400 RPM I think) and we use the bowl buffs on a small Grizzly buffer (these are mounted on the adaptor you refer to).

For the Jet, just buy the Beall buffs that slip on the shaft between the shaft retainer cups included with the buffer. Hole diameter isn't critical--the cloth gives a bit for the arbor shaft.

Lance Norris
10-13-2010, 6:17 AM
For the Jet, just buy the Beall buffs that slip on the shaft between the shaft retainer cups included with the buffer. Hole diameter isn't critical--the cloth gives a bit for the arbor shaft.

Thats what I figured... I was just kinda hoping to use the quick attach/detach feature that the adapter provides. As far as the Sand-Rite head, that is why I bought the Buffer in the first place, because the Sand-Rite head was part of the deal. Ive wanted a flap sander for some time now, but have decided to start buffing some of my work. Thanks for the info...

Mark Levitski
10-13-2010, 7:59 PM
Would be nice to have immediate access to the various buffs with easy attach/detach, but "no attach" is even better tho' more expensive (permanent, dedicated mount using more buffing machines). We produce too many pieces to keep changing out, or I could've even gone with a lathe adaptor. No buffing machine to buy!

The Sand-rites are really nice. We use one w/ 120 grit to begin the sanding process on de-barked branches that form the skeleton for my wife's furniture and accessories. She "borrows" my 2 and 3" rotary sander (new style Milwaukee right angle) that I use for turnings for the progressive grits.