PDA

View Full Version : Is there a formula for "not to exceed" spindle length x width??

Tom Rick
10-12-2010, 4:05 PM
I need to turn a long thin spindle and it is looking like it is not such a good ideal.

The length is 3' 3" and width is 1.5" in middle tapered to each end to 7/8"

Thanks all

Ron Bontz
10-12-2010, 4:13 PM
A spindle steady or more and patience would go a long way. But I have never heard of a "not to exceed". Best of luck.:)

Jim Underwood
10-12-2010, 4:19 PM
No formulas, just steady rests, sharp tools, and good technique.

Google the word "trembleur" if you think your spindle is too long or too thin...

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2010, 9:38 PM
I agree no formula but a good steady rest is a must.

Reed Gray
10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
The only formula I ever heard was 10 to 1, as in 10 inches long by one inch thick, and you get little or no vibration. Exceed the length to thickness ratio, and you need a steady rest of some sort or a very steady hand on the skew, and a very gentle touch.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
10-13-2010, 7:36 AM
Main thing is technique. Prepare the blank by creating a tenon at one end and mounting it in a chuck. That will be more stable than between centers. DO NOT round the entire length at once. Mount it in your chuck and mark the thickness at the middle, the end, and several points in between using a parting tool. Starting at the tail stock, work each section down to finished size one at a time, keeping LIGHT pressure on the tailstock. Too much pressure will cause the spindle to curve. Pressure on your spindle gouge or detail gouge should be along the length, not toward the center.

Bill Bulloch
10-13-2010, 8:22 AM
I think practice is the key. Nick Cook demonistrated at our club meeting last night. He turned a 24 inch high stool: Seat, four legs and four runners in a hour and fifteen minutes using only his gloved hand as a steady.