PDA

View Full Version : Sorby/ Hunter Swan neck

Ron Bontz
10-12-2010, 3:57 PM
Well ok. After having a hard time with a little bowl (see pic) and finding myself going nearly 180 degrees with my bowl gouges and scrapers... I decided I needed a swan neck. Not to mention a work light. I read some post here and find myself suffering an acute case of indecision. I would like to turn some more "closed form bowls" if that's what they are called and maybe some hollow forms down the road. So I am wondering from the folks who have tried both. Is the Hunter full swan neck worth the extra $40.00 or so over the Hollow Master? Oh the bowl by the way, is 4.5" tall x 7.25" dia. x 5.25" opening. I haven't decided on the lid and base yet. Thanks.

Tim Rinehart
10-12-2010, 5:09 PM
I'd have to say you need both. I like the Hollowmaster for hogging out material, but prefer the Hunter swan neck for clean up and final cuts. If only one...the Hollowmaster is my choice....but I really don't want to give up the Hunter...arrrghh!!

Bill Bolen
10-12-2010, 5:16 PM
I usually do mine with a bowl gouge and sometimes need to finish up a bit with a straight hunter tool. For deeply under cut rims the new tool from EWT called the easy hollower sure looks interesting. I may have to start saving up for one of those...Bill...

Kyle Iwamoto
10-12-2010, 6:17 PM
I feel your pain:). I've been avoiding even attempting a closed form or HF. Just because that would involve the investment of even more money into this abyss. I made my very first attempt at a closed form yesterday, and I just used the regular Hunter. I will have to keep tabs on this thread and buy......... something. This hobby just sucks. Sucks money from my wallet.

Michael James
10-12-2010, 6:43 PM
Toto, you are not in Kansas anymore...just pony up the pesos and get it over with. You know you'll be glad you did. :cool:

Curt Fuller
10-12-2010, 7:09 PM
I've heard a lot of good comments on this tool..
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Easy_Wood_Tools_ __Easy_Hollower___easy_hollower?Args=

Just something to make the decision a little tougher.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2010, 9:18 PM
I hog out the bowl with a homemade hollowing tool and then do the cleanup with the hunter. I haven't seen anything get a surface super smooth.

David E Keller
10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I've used the Sorby, but I don't have any experience with the Hunter or the EWT. I think the hollowmaster works well, but since the monster has arrived, I only use the hand helds for shoulder work(the shoulder of the form and my shoulders too:eek:).

Roger Chandler
10-12-2010, 10:30 PM
The sorby hollowmaster is fair in my opinion for hollowing but not over about 5 inches deep. The Hunter [I have the straight and swan neck] are made for light finishing cuts, and they do a great job at it.

If you can hog out with a bowl gouge, that will get you to a place where the sorby can be used, and then the hunter for finishing off.

Ron Bontz
10-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will let you know what I decide.

Dennis Puskar
10-12-2010, 11:51 PM
The Sorby Hollowmaster is my choice for both roughing and finishing.

Vince Welch
10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Toto, you are not in Kansas anymore...just pony up the pesos and get it over with. You know you'll be glad you did. :cool:

I Love it!!!!:D