PDA

View Full Version : New shop getting started - dust collector question

david blakelock
10-12-2010, 3:12 PM
Well ground is about to be broken on my dream shop. It will be 1000 sg. ft. and totally dedicated to wood working. No sharing space with cars, lawn equipment, etc. I will also be upgrading my tools over time. The only firm decision so far is I am about to pull the trigger on a Sawstop TS. I am also going to add a dust collector as my current small garage shop has no dust collection system except for my shop vac and a broom & dust pan. I was about to go ahead and order an Oneida 2.5HP Gorilla until I started reading the threads on this great site and found out about the Clearvue system. I have read their website as well as many threads regarding the Clearvue system and I am very impressed. I am sure both systems are great and either will do the job. My impression of the Clearvue system is that it is a bit more of a kit and more assembly is required. Which is not a big deal. Without starting a big debate on which one is better, I would greatly appreciate any insights into the Clearvue system, anything to look out for and any insights on experience with the product & company.

Thanks!!

David

Alan Bienlein
10-12-2010, 8:54 PM
Last year when I finally upgraded my dust collection in my shop I had looked at all the major players and had decided on a clearview. I was never able to buy one as other emergencies kept using the funds. That led me to build my own and I bought the impeller and relay from Clearview. When I had questions about there CV1800 max that I wanted to build mine after they had no problem telling me what I needed to do to build it myself. To me that says alot about the company. If I'm not mistaken you will only need to get some type of metal or plastic drum for the collection bin.

david blakelock
10-13-2010, 9:29 AM
Alan, thanks for the insight. I believe that you are correct in that all you need to buy is a collection bin. From what I can tell on the web site, it looks like a great product and there is a lot of very useful information regarding dust collection on the web site as well. It seems like a well run small business with an owner who really cares about their product and helping out folks like us. That is a definite plus.
Is there anything specific that is that different from the other cyclone systems that makes it better from the other cyclone vendors?

Thanks!!

David

Gerald Senburn
10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I think that the systems are so close that you're not going to see any realistic difference in the shop. I personally steered away from the clearvue because of it's homebrew nature. It's recent (albeit temporary) closure doesn't inspire confidence, either. Yes, I realize it was because the company was sold, but during that time (several months?) they were not there for parts, service, etc. Also, unless things have changed, there is *no* warranty but their good will.

Just curious, why not consider the Grizzly systems? I know several people that are very happy with them.

david blakelock
10-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Gerald, I have looked at the Grizzly system and they are very good as well. Like you said the systems are so close that any of them would be great and certainly far better than a shop vac and a broom. I am sure that I can't go wrong with any of them. You do raise some excellent points about the Clearvue system especially the "homebrew" nature. While I am very handy, I would rather spend my precious shop time building things for the wife and the house than putting together a dust collector. That is one reason I have not pulled the trigger on the Clearvue.
I have nothing against Grizzly and their price is tough to beat. I do think that if I don't go with Clearvue that I will opt for the Oneida, but really don't have a valid technical reason to choose one over the other. The world of dust collection is a bit like black magic and it is easy to get wrapped around the axle with all of the information on the web about the right way to go. That is one reason I did like the Clearvue system and web site as they seemed to have a more common sense pragmatic approach to dust collection if that makes sense.

Tough choice to make, but half the fun of setting up a new shop is doing the research and making these decision.

As always appreciate any and all insight, thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.

This is a great site and I am now a full member so I can give a little back for all the great help I am getting.

David

Gerald Senburn
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I came across this blog post a while ago. It's a couple years old, but he seems to have taken a pretty close look at Oneida, Clearvue, and Grizzly and ended up with Grizzly. Maybe it'll help your decision.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/blog/?p=10

david blakelock
10-13-2010, 2:54 PM
Gerald, thanks for the link. Very interesting article with several good points. He raises the same concern you did about the Clearvue that it requires a fair amount of assembly and while it is not out of the reach of a handy person, it is better to have a more turn key solution. I will go back and look at the Grizzly in more detail. As everyone says you can't beat their customer service which is a big selling point.

The search continues, I will let you know what I finally decide and of course let everyone know my experience with it once it is up and running. I am just excited about having true dust collection in my shop finally, so either one I select will be great...

David

Nick Lazz
10-14-2010, 1:12 AM
David,

There are several posts on this forum for CV and there is a forum on the CV site which is also helpful with assembly. With that said, I researched a ton (and always do) before I buy. I ended up with the CV for a numer of reasons, but to date it has been the best machine purchase I have made...although the Hammer A3-31 is a very close second :D.

Don't be discouraged by the assembly. I think it is one of the benefits of a CV because it ads versatility. It is very easy and straight forward, and although it is under new ownership, you simply could not beat their customer service. I really do not beleive any of the other brands are better than the CV, not saying it's the best one out there, just saying. And I too, was a little concerned with having to assemble it.
I can tell you this though, none of the other brands could be mounted, as mine is, 13' off the floor and out of the way.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll find the one that best suits you. Keep us posted!

Nick

Gerald Senburn
10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
none of the other brands could be mounted, as mine is, 13' off the floor and out of the way

Why not? :confused:

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Nick, thanks for the insight. The assembly doesn't worry me, but it is something to consider. I have been reading the forum on the Clearvue site. It is very informative. I need to read more of the posts, but there is only so much time in the today to read all of the information that is out there. I could spend most of the day just reading all of the posts on SMC and not get any work done.. :)

I don't have to make a decision right away as it will be another 3 -4 weeks before the shop is ready to move into.

I have to say I love this site and the fact that everyone is so willing to help out. It is a great collection of people here.

The search continues...

David

Steve Peterson
10-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes, the Clearvue is a kit, but assembly is very minimal. There are only a few steps.

1) The cyclone and blower need to be bolted together and sealed with caulk. All of the pieces are pre-cut for a perfect fit. It goes together in just a few hours. The separate pieces can be assembled in place, so that the only heavy item is the motor and impeller. I was able to lift these up a ladder by myself with little difficulty.

2) You need to supply a barrel. Many people buy cardboard drums from McMaster-Carr for around $50 plus $10 for shipping. I happened to have a heavy plastic 50 gallon drum. I mounted 4" casters on the bottom and built a plywood top panel. It is a perfect fit for my system. Then, you need to build a cleanout box. Mine is just a simple melamine cube with a removable side.

3) You need to wire the supplied relay with your preferred remote or hard wired switches. I built mine with 2 wall switches and an RF remote control. One switch disables the remote to prevent stray RF from triggering the unit. The other is a simple on/off switch in case I can't find the remote. Everything fits in a 6"x6"x4" electric box from HD.

The total assembly time for my Clearvue is about 20 hours worth, spread out over a few days to give time for the caulking to dry. I suspect that the other vendors will still take at least a full day to assemble. With the Clearvue, you end up with exactly the system that you want. I am really happy with mine.

Steve

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 1:25 PM
Steve, thanks for the insight. I read the instructions on the CV website and figured it wasn't that much. The only part that looked a little tricky was the wiring, but I think they have a pretty good wiring diagram that I should be able to follow without to much trouble.

Once I get closer I will call the folks at CV and talk to them about my shop and walk thru want I am planning. I am leaning towards the Clearvue system based on everything I have read on this site as well as reading their forum. They appear to have a very loyal and passionate customer base which is always a good sign.

Now just need to get that darn shop finished so I can get started outfitting it...

Nick Lazz
10-14-2010, 1:27 PM
Why not? :confused:

Weight. I carried mine up a ladder...by myself. I suppose if you had a hoist and an elaborate bracket system that could support 300lbs, you'd be in business, so long as all your buddies showed up to help...
But then again, I didn't say it was impossible only obviously impractical.

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 1:46 PM
Nick & Steve, what model of CV did you end up buying? I think that the CV 1800 is more than I need, but the CV Max is only a bit more, but it needs 8" ducting so that will be more expensive and harder to source.

Thanks,

David

Brad Gobble
10-14-2010, 1:53 PM
I have a ClearVue and a SawStop. Love 'em. CV save me $ and was fun to build. If your time is a premium order an Oneida/Griz. If you get stuck and don't know how to solve a problem email Bill Pentz. Use PVC 6" pipe and call it good. Get the new SawStop blade guard / dust catcher, tie it in to the CV, and increase your saw port to 5" and you'll never see dust.

Pics posted on FWW of my setup (search on username: BradG)

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 2:18 PM
Brad, thanks for the information. I have decided on the Sawstop and just waiting on the shop to get built before I pull the trigger on that. I will get the new Sawstop dust collector per your recommendation. Can't wait to have a real table saw after having to do with an old Sears Craftsmen contractor saw for all of these years. Although I will keep the Sears if for no other reason than sentimental ones.

What is the FWW website you refer to? I will check it out.

Thanks,

David

Nick Lazz
10-14-2010, 2:21 PM
Nick & Steve, what model of CV did you end up buying? I think that the CV 1800 is more than I need, but the CV Max is only a bit more, but it needs 8" ducting so that will be more expensive and harder to source.

Thanks,

David

David,

I went with the CV 1800. It is hard to imagine that I would need more for what I do. I think the only difference is the impeller: 16" vs 15". If you wanted or thought you might need the capacity down the road you could probably run 4-6' of 8" into the inlet but transition down to 6" branch lines. You would have to ask CV though.
The 6" S&D was real easy to come by where I am at and cheap. Check your local area and see what is available.
When I first tested my system I nearly lost my hand up the pipe at the end of a 25' run with 2-90's in it. It sucks, you might say...it really sucks.

Nick

Nick Lazz
10-14-2010, 2:27 PM
Steve, thanks for the insight. I read the instructions on the CV website and figured it wasn't that much. The only part that looked a little tricky was the wiring, but I think they have a pretty good wiring diagram that I should be able to follow without to much trouble.

Once I get closer I will call the folks at CV and talk to them about my shop and walk thru want I am planning. I am leaning towards the Clearvue system based on everything I have read on this site as well as reading their forum. They appear to have a very loyal and passionate customer base which is always a good sign.

Now just need to get that darn shop finished so I can get started outfitting it...

David,

BTW, there are some real helpful folks on the CV forum with wiring. You could look at the thread I started and see a complete diagram. The bin full sensor is a must have, so take the extra steps to install one. I didn't install the warning light, but could add one, just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you get that far, hit me up again and I will help you with what I know.

Nick

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 2:30 PM
Nick, great! I am a one person shop, so I would never be running more than one tool at a time so I am sure the CV1800 can suck up anything and everything. Although like most guys one can never have to much power.

So it looks like it is going to be a CV1800, just need to spend some more time on the website and then call them to go thru what I need just to make sure.

Although I am not sure I will do without having sawdust all over the place after a project and having to spend hours cleaning up after myself. At least I won't have to listen to my daughter tell me that my shop is a mess and that I need to clean it up....

David Hawxhurst
10-14-2010, 5:16 PM
my cv took about a day and half to set up including running the duct work. then took several days reconfiguring and modifying my machines to handle six dust collection.

Paul Wunder
10-14-2010, 5:22 PM
David,

Another vote for the ClearVue 1800. First of all, if you compare fan curves DG 2.5 vs. ClearVue) you will find that the CV puts out more CFM's at any static pressure level. For example, at 9.0" of static pressure the DG will deliver about 725 CFM, while the Clearvue will deliver 967 CFM at a higher pressure 10.0 inches. This could be very useful in situations where you want an over/under collection capability such as on a table saw, band saw or router table. Also with a 1000 sq feet, you may have some longer runs and the CV's higher capacity will help to overcome distance, turns and other losses.

Paul

Bob Wingard
10-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Another vote for the CV1800 .. .. .. in my case, I actually NEEDED the "kit" form in order to accomplish my desired installation. I made up some custom angle iron mounts that let me install the unit in the attic of my shop. Ductwork comes down & into the shop at a 45deg. angle .. then spreads out to accommodate the equipment. The drop chute and chip bin are about all you see from the shop. The exhaust of the CV runs into a large plenum with 6 TORIT filters installed in it.

This installation has reduced the noise level by bunches.I mounted the motor with anti-vibration pads which was probably a waste of time .. this thing runs soooo smoothly, I doubt there would be much difference.

By running the exhaust through roughly three times the recommended filter media, the noise is greatly reduced.

You can still hear it running, but it's very quiet compared to other comparable units I've seen i operation.

It also features a BinDicator level sensor that flashes a red strobe when the bin is full, and then shuts down the system after a minute so I don't ignore the light and pack the filters full. Been there .. Done that .. now I have the sensor.

david blakelock
10-14-2010, 7:53 PM
David,

BTW, there are some real helpful folks on the CV forum with wiring. You could look at the thread I started and see a complete diagram. The bin full sensor is a must have, so take the extra steps to install one. I didn't install the warning light, but could add one, just haven't gotten around to it yet. If you get that far, hit me up again and I will help you with what I know.

Nick

Nick, thanks for the insight and the offer. I will head on over the to the CV forum and check out your thread. I should be okay with the wiring, as I am a electrical engineer according to my degree, but that was years ago.

David