PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions and ideas

Ted Evans
10-12-2010, 2:05 PM
Hello all, I am soliciting some comments/suggestions about this project that I am working on for my wife. It will be a utility piece used as a fruit/vegetable bowl and I was thinking of using the middle, with or without a lid, for dip. Is this a good/bad idea, or would it be better to forget the idea and make a more conventional bowl?

Another question would be how would you treat the transition from the bottom to the middle section, if, you were to use it in that configuration?

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, since it is just in the roughing stage, I was too lazy to get the tripod.

It is slightly under 13” x almost 4” deep. I would really be appreciative of any suggestions and ideas that you would offer.

Ted

Scott Hackler
10-12-2010, 2:19 PM
I would not do a lid, but might go to the store and buy a small glass bowl and turn the middle to perfectly fit the little bowl. That way you wont have a big flop of ranch dip on the wood and have to deal with all that mess. Just an idea.

PS: Thats a great looking chunk of wood!

Al Wasser
10-12-2010, 2:42 PM
What Scott says plus---- most folks don't want to use spalted wood for liquids like dips. I'm not sure if there is or is not a problem. You sure don't want to use soft spalted woods. If the piece is a utility one then make the base large - 5 to 6". This will help reduce a lot of tipping. Or you can just turn the whole bottom flat and not worry with tipping at all

Tim Rinehart
10-12-2010, 3:08 PM
For those of us with only so much space for large bowls...I would have to consider that if it has a dedicated rest or other feature in the center that it's usefulness would be reduced somewhat.

You can always turn a little platform to set on the inside of the bowl to support a little dish/bowl of some kind for dips...and if no dip...use the whole bowl without any center piece...how's that?

Now...all that being said...if you're one to set down lots of salsa/chips and margaritas on a regular basis...a dedicated chip/dip bowl may be in order.;)

I'm not so sure there are any issues with the spalted wood once dry and sealed with oil/etc. There's a good blog out there (I think Steve Schlumpf posted something from her recently) from a person with credentials who essentially says the who spalt scare is hooey. The argument boils down to there being more in the air we breath every day than you'd get from a piece of wood that has dried and been sealed. Also...the stomach is about as unfriendly an environment as possible for the spores from spalting to do anything. I'm not worried in the least at this point...at least not about the stuff I can see!:o

Thom Sturgill
10-12-2010, 3:30 PM
http://www.thomjoy.us/turnings/chip-n-dip1.jpgI made a similar bowl and did as suggested above. I got a small glass bowl and turned the center to fit. It has worked fairly well as a chip/dip bowl with a lacquer finish. Both cut fruit and salsa can be acidic and may be a problem for some finishes. I also hollowed up the bottom center some to reduce weight, kind looks like a doughnut - sets on a broad ring.

Ted Evans
10-12-2010, 9:21 PM
A big thank you to all for your comments and suggestions. The suggestion for using a bowl or cup is a great idea; I would have thought of that, it is just that it may have taken me awhile. ;)

Thom, thanks and especially for the picture, it answered a number of questions in my mind. I am not very good at this spinny stuff so can use all the help that I can get. :o

Ted

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Ted I also use the small glass cup or I use a 6" marble flat piece glued in the middle to hold cheese or to set a dish of dip on.

David E Keller
10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
You've gotten great advice so far. The only thing I would consider is easing the curve on the sides into a more gentle arc... It'll give the piece some visual lift, but I agree with the suggestion to keep a fairly broad foot for stability.

Ted Evans
10-13-2010, 9:56 AM
Thanks David, that is the kind of suggestion that really helps me, as artistic talent is one thing I have none of. It is about 1" thick so hopefully, that will be enough material to accomplish what you suggest. Ted

Leo Van Der Loo
10-13-2010, 8:38 PM
Ted I showed a "chip & dip" bowl some time ago, just looked it up, have a look and see what you like in my piece, have fun and take care.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=908794#poststop

Ted Evans
10-13-2010, 8:55 PM
Hello Leo and thanks a bunch for the pictures, I like the design very much. What size did you make the foot and is it stable in use? Yours looks to me like it would be more practical for us. Actually I suppose I should say, one like yours.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-13-2010, 9:45 PM
Ted I'm not at home, so no measuring possible, I would say the foot is probably in the 5" size range, sure is stable enough, after all people just pick some pretzels or chips out of it and maybe dip some, there's no heavy pushing down on the bowl, we never had any problem with it at all, HTH