PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handle

Tom Winship
10-12-2010, 9:59 AM
This is a saw handle that I made for an old Sandvik saw I have drug around so long I can't remember where I got it. With the help of a fellow creeker on acquiring the saw nuts, I think it turned out okay for my first handle. (other than the wheat looking like it has disease) The wood is mahogany that a friend had given me.

Comments are appreciated.

Marv Werner
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Tom,

Far better job on your handle compared to this first try. I'm not saying that I made it though. :D

Marv

Tom Winship
10-12-2010, 2:05 PM
Marv, this was done before I got instructions from you on your special tool for the wheat. So don't feel any responsibility for it.
Thanks

Marv Werner
10-12-2010, 2:15 PM
Tom,

I hope you know I was just joking around when I posted that picture. I have a folder on my computer where I collect pictures I find on eBay of weird looking saw handles. It was that handle that inspired me to start collecting them.

I'm looking forward to your next first handle with wheat carving done with the tool.

Marv

Marv Werner
10-12-2010, 3:26 PM
Tom,

The link below takes you to the Norse Woodsmith site owned by Leif Hanson. He's the guy who inspired me to try my hand at wheat carving. He does a good job, but I wanted to refine it just a bit. He does his wheat carving using a chip carving knife. The page will open to some specialty saws he has made. He's an exceptionally versatile guy and doesn't hesitate to share his skills and knowledge. He's presently building 3 guitars.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/content/specialty-saws-and-taper-grinding

Marv

Jim Koepke
10-12-2010, 9:40 PM
My fear is my first handle will not look that good. Guess I have to try to find out.

Looks good though I think the wheat actually looks like lavender flowers. Though I do not grow wheat, we do grow lavender.

Maybe rough n tough sawyers didn't smell like lavender and were more into barely wheat for making beer.

jtk