PDA

View Full Version : Where to find supoer-fine PSA sandpaper

John Nesmith
10-12-2010, 9:33 AM
I am looking for PSA paper (either 6" discs or larger sheets) in higher grits, like 3600, 6000, 8000. I'm trying to lower the cost of paper for my Work Sharp 3000.

I've spent a good hour searching the net. There is this option: http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa

but they never actually have those grits in stock.

Various online sources sell the 3600/6000 combo pack made specifically for the WS 3000, but they are pretty pricey.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

Any suggestions?

P.S.

Local auto supply stores are not an option. I've tried.

Dave Gaul
10-12-2010, 9:45 AM
http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_discs-psa.asp#6

I haven't ordered from them for my WS3000, but I have ordered PSA discs for my ROS, and some PSA rolls, and found them to be of great service. Very good people to deal with.

John Nesmith
10-12-2010, 9:49 AM
Thanks. Unfortunately it does not appear that supergrit has higher than 2000 grit. I appreciate the reply though.

Dave Gaul
10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
No problem John.

It would be worth a try to call them, explain what you need, and they may be able to help. They deal with all types of abrasives, I'm sure they can do something for you.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
John-
I was in your same boat. Here's what I do now:

I sharpen above the table with a homemade wide-blade attachment. I hold the blade in a honing guide. I work up to 1000 on the WS.

Then I switch to 'scary sharp'. I bought a bunch of 1500-2500gt wetdry sheets from 2sand.com. I just run them under some water before the session, then put them on a sheet of plate glass. The wet back keeps them stable on the glass; the wet front keeps the metal from clogging the paper.

Then, I bought some 5micron mylar abrasive sheets from Lee Valley to do final honing.

It's actually easier than changing wheels (for me!) and a might bit cheaper.

Lee Valley does sell PSA in the 15-5micron abrasives, but they're not circular.

Randy Briggs
10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks. Unfortunately it does not appear that supergrit has higher than 2000 grit. I appreciate the reply though.

I've ordered from SIS before and the wait was too long - ~ 2 weeks.

Keep in mind the micromesh grits come in "regular" which goes to the 12,000 and MX, which goes much lower. The ratings are different from FEPA/CAMI for wet/dry sandpapers.

Another suggestion: I just picked up some 3M Imperial lapping film PSA discs off a certain large auction site last week and haven't tried them out yet. IIRC, it went down to 0.5 micron. There is also plenty of other options there for other progressive grits.

John Nesmith
10-12-2010, 10:30 AM
No problem John.

It would be worth a try to call them, explain what you need, and they may be able to help. They deal with all types of abrasives, I'm sure they can do something for you.

Good idea. I just sent them an email.

John Nesmith
10-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Prashun: I have been using scary sharp for a few years, and was trying to get away from it. That's why I ordered the WS. :D

Randy: I did look on the Bay. I must have not looked hard enough. I'll give it another go.

Randy Briggs
10-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Prashun: I have been using scary sharp for a few years, and was trying to get away from it. That's why I ordered the WS. :D

Randy: I did look on the Bay. I must have not looked hard enough. I'll give it another go.

Don't know if it has been re-listed but there was a listing for a 3M diamond lapping film 0.5 micron PSA disc (6") that should show up as "completed" and you could re-check with the seller. Also, as previously mentioned, you could buy lapping film PSA sheets and cut to fit for the WS - this is what I have done as it enables you to use more than just the WS.

The Woodcraft DMT diamond system could be another option if you used super fine diamond paste.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
John, I think u misinterpreted my post. I use a hybrid approach. I use the WS wheels up to 1000g, and then after that, I move to honing with the scary sharp.

I find at higher grits (> 1000) the rate of clogging on the WS makes it less effective than hand stroking. Also, unlike the initial lower grinding, it doesn't take many hand strokes to hone at 100, 1500, 2000, and north.

So, I use both the WS and Scary sharp. It's cheaper and faster.

John Nesmith
10-13-2010, 11:20 AM
John, I think u misinterpreted my post.

I picked up on the hybrid approach, but didn't think much about why you still use SS for part of the process. You make some good points. I still have all my SS stuff, so I may do something similar after trying the WS. (It's arriving today)