PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure It Would Hold Together-it did

Steve Mawson
10-11-2010, 9:30 PM
Found a piece of Mulberry in a brush pile last spring. Cut this piece of the tree out and sealed the ends. It had a branch growing out of it with a very close angle to the main branch. Main part of the tree was about 8 inches across and the branch about 2" across. As you can see the bark grew inside the main part of the tree. Not really sure it is much to look at but wanted to give it a go. Only finish so far is home brew danish oil. Don't believe I have any plans to fill the voids. About 6" across and 2.25 deep. Comments welcome.

Jim Burr
10-11-2010, 9:37 PM
It's great!! Found some of that a while ago in my BIL yard. Made some great pens! A little satin finish may not hurt

Jim Underwood
10-11-2010, 9:41 PM
Dang...

I'da thought it would turn to shrapnel long before it was finished...:eek:

Nice job.

Baxter Smith
10-11-2010, 10:17 PM
That looks like a "I just wanted to see if I could" kind of bowl. Nice color. I think trying to fill would take away a lot of its charm!

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Steve that is a great looking bowl. I definitely would not fill the void. Leave the character.

Josh Bowman
10-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow! That's great! It looks like lightning had cut the gap.

David E Keller
10-11-2010, 10:53 PM
That looks like a "I just wanted to see if I could" kind of bowl. Nice color. I think trying to fill would take away a lot of its charm!

Yep, and he can do it! Cool piece. I assume a glue block was used to hold this?

Billy Tallant
10-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Steve, that is an amazing looking bowl. Each time I log on here I see something outstanding. It amazes me how you held that together while turning it. :)

Greg Ketell
10-12-2010, 1:14 AM
That's really cool! Congratulations on keeping it together!!

Claude Arragon
10-12-2010, 4:33 AM
WOOW Steve, I don't know how you managed.
When I face such a situation I wrap the outside in plastic film. It does hold every thing together and does not leave any trace of glue as it has none ;)

Jeff Nicol
10-12-2010, 8:29 AM
Steve, I love the mulberry and you found a great piece to work with! I think since it is so tough and fiberous wood it lends itself to the wild style of turning what most would just burn up!

Great job,

Jeff

Rob Cunningham
10-12-2010, 12:30 PM
That's a really cool looking bowl. Congrats on keeping it together.

Larry Dubia
10-12-2010, 2:06 PM
That is one very nice looking bowl! Great job. That had to have been a major challenge to face. Good job keeping it in one piece.

Steve Mawson
10-12-2010, 5:53 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. Just lucky to find that piece and believe that something good might come of it. I turned a tenon on the bottom then into the chuck and hollowed the inside out slowly. The bark was flying out the the now voids most of the time. Plan to finish with satin lacquer and leave it at that.